Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

leahyl wrote: »
    They had antibacterial spray and rolls of tissue outside our local Dunnes to wipe your trolley. No hand sanitizer though. Aldi didn’t have anything

Yeah that's why I brought gloves. No use depending on anyone else to provide hand sanitizer etc.

Nearly everyone had gloves on, except one fella who was clearly hungover wandering around the lidl bakery looking for a cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Drumpot wrote: »

Just another copycat: The Australian government is to give AU$750 to 6.5 million people. In 2010 a previous government gave AU$800 to the eligible as a stimulus measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Back in November in a market in Wuhan somebody contracted the Corona Virus. I get exponential growth, but given the population and how close quarters I imagine Wuhan is, that virus must have spread faster than a wildfire where they throw gasoline on it to extinguish it. I find it highly improbable Europe did not receive the virus before January. I’d say impossible.
    I'm a big believer that it's been around for a while. The amount of people suffering from an awful flu over the winter was insane, with shortness of breath being the main symptom. I spoke to a pharmacist in January and she said that the flu this year was like nothing she's seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Certainly a lot of talk of the country going into general lockdown, it looks very likely to happen in the next few days. And it is needed.

Many are doing the right things, social isolating etc, but many are not. And I have heard a good bit of “shur it all made up” and people not taking it seriously, bordering on crazy conspiracy theories.

The big issue is too many people are still in shops, coffee shops etc.
    I drove around a few towns today and so much unnecessary interactions going on, we need to shutdown everything except essentials like shops but have proper protocol on place to allow people to buy from shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

oopsies wrote: »
    Yeah that's why I brought gloves. No use depending on anyone else to provide hand sanitizer etc.

Nearly everyone had gloves on, except one fella who was clearly hungover wandering around the lidl bakery looking for a cure.

Was this in the lidl in Ennis :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

2% mortality rate and he’s looking n 45 million to catch it that leaves 900,000 dying in Uk 😱😱

Are you in lockdown yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Highly unlikely as it would have been detected.

Could be very asymptomatic, do we know whatever the hell happened in December was not the Corona Virus. Would make sense. I’ve never been out and seen so many people sick. One night me and my friends went out, 20 of us and 75% of us were in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

oopsies wrote: »

Gloves won't make any difference if you touch your face just as much as normal while wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

nthclare wrote: »

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most.

Years ago my brother went to a Buddhist monastery in Thailand for a ten day taste of monk life. The plan was that you slept on a bed with a wooden blanket. Up at 5 am or there about. And you couldn't talk to each other.

The attention seekers were dropping off like flies after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They had antibacterial spray and rolls of tissue outside our local Dunnes to wipe your trolley. No hand sanitizer though. Aldi didn’t have anything
    It's still the hand to face that causes the problem not what's on your hands.

• Advertisement

Highly unlikely as it would have been detected.
    Coronavirus was able to bypass quarantine lockdown in Wuhan after mutating into second strain that caused mild or no symptoms in its early stages, say scientists in China
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8111697/Coronavirus-able-bypass-quarantine-lockdown-Wuhan-mutating-second-strain.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

wonder how many of new uk cases were northern ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Was this in the lidl in Ennis :)

No Naas.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are you living in Spain?
    It's going to be very restrictive.

Nephew and his wife have a wee bar/restaurant - max occupancy 70, half of that outdoors - he just messaged to say the local police are going around telling them all to shut up shop and go home.

Meanwhile son is still in Ukraine trying to find out if he can get out after they close the borders tomorrow - his flight isn't due to leave until an hour after the official shut down time. He's hopeful as the message there is "keep the foreigners our" - he's a foreigner who wants to get out... :P

Niece in Switzerland was scheduled for surgery on Monday (not life saving but fairly important) - that's been cancelled in case they need the hospital beds.

Meanwhile other niece in Switzerland is sulking as Daddy roared at her (in several languages to make sure she got the message) on Skype from Cork that if she even thinks about going to London next week as planned he'll kick the s*ite out of her when next they meet. This is a 32 year old woman, not a teenager. She really should know better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm a big believer that it's been around for a while. The amount of people suffering from an awful flu over the winter was insane, with shortness of breath being the main symptom. I spoke to a pharmacist in January and she said that the flu this year was like nothing she's seen.

Read my last post exactly. It was incredible. It matches the reports that the CV is way more spreadable than the flu. I was out for the count and it took me ages to recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

"Europe has now become the epicentre of the pandemic," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a virtual press conference.

He described the more than 5,000 deaths worldwide as "a tragic milestone".

"Our message to countries continues to be, you must take a comprehensive approach. Not testing alone, not contact tracing alone, not quarantine alone, not social distancing alone - do it all," he said.

Everything non essential needs to be shut down is what he is saying.

Do it all now for the longer term good. We'll recover.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Years ago my brother went to a Buddhist monastery in Thailand for a ten day taste of monk life. The plan was that you slept on a bed with a wooden blanket. Up at 5 am or there about. And you couldn't talk to each other.

That sounds pretty hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ninthlife wrote: »
    What do you think it means?

Only essential emergency services operate

Its bound to happen and dont think its not being planned for either

You posted it so I'm asking what it means. Very vague.

Still no clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

My other housemate is using lab based latex gloves when preparing and cooking food. Also when washing his dishes. Ridiculous.

Mocking someone because they are taking precautions.

Do you know this person's health history?.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

But ..... can we trust officialdom (WHO) is it a lot more serious than what they say??
    i.e. the symptoms? the mortality rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jojofizzio wrote: »
    ProblEm will remain the same though....any staff that would be caring for these people in such an arrangement will carry the same risk of bringing community borne Covid-19 in to the patients they would care for,(as Home helps currently looking after them in their homes)

Yes, Its a connundrum, there will still be lots of risks involved, but keeping them in a central location should allow them to control some elements that can drive community transmission. Hotel rooms would be cleaner and easier to keep clean than a private residence the food would be prepared in a kitchen to standards that reduce the risk of contamination, visitors could be restricted or monitored to make sure they are engaging in proper social distancing etc

These should be voluntary measures as I don't think people should be forced into a home like this against their will, but if someone requires nursing care and there are no longer sufficient community nursing staff available or there is too high a risk from providing that service, then I'm not sure what else they can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Read my last post exactly. It was incredible. It matches the reports that the CV is way more spreadable than the flu. I was out for the count and it took me ages to recover from.
    It's not as if you'd be tested for it either. No way of proving it was actually a coronavirus. The majority of people would just recover without contacting a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

Id say a lot of lads will have a right mop of hair after this unless their partners are barbers or they shave their heads anyways.

Well all be sporting the corona style, my mop grows fairly fast.

We'll all have a bohemian look about us :)

I got an extra-short cut this week, but not due to any foresight on my part. I had a problem communicating my usual cut to the eastern European lady who was cutting my hair, but ended up very happy with the result anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Heckler wrote: »
    "Europe has now become the epicentre of the pandemic," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a virtual press conference.

He described the more than 5,000 deaths worldwide as "a tragic milestone".

"Our message to countries continues to be, you must take a comprehensive approach. Not testing alone, not contact tracing alone, not quarantine alone, not social distancing alone - do it all," he said.

Everything non essential needs to be shut down is what he is saying.

Do it all now for the longer term good. We'll recover.

It won't be the epicentre for long. Maybe a month, two months max. There is much greater vulnerability elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was in St Stephens Green Shopping Centre yesterday and they hand gel on the main ground floor near the exits, so I used that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

But how long can a lockdown last ? what is the plan ?

Ideally it would be till a vaccine is available , but thats over 1 year away.
    So people need to stay indoors till then ???

crazy.

A lockdown reduces the number of sick and potentially sick as those in solitude cannot get infected.

So it gives the health folk chance to breathe and deal with those who are ill now. In stead of this virulent infection just spreading and overwhelming th hospitals.

When they are through it? Lockdown can ease and we have whole, well folk to help. And less infected.

We are talking about slowing the pandemic to more manageable proportions. Thus saving lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

wakka12 wrote: »
    Poland has closed it's border to all foreigners.
    Russia has closed it's border to all foreigners except Belarussians. Any Russian citizens returning home must quarantine for 14 days

A 67 year old Greek man has died after returning from a trip to Israel

Its interesting how eastern european countries take this far more seriously than western europe. The key is to get a head start on coronavirus so closing their borders is a wise thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Saturday 14th March.

UK / NHS reported Covid cases now 1,140

21 related deaths.

ROI / HSE reported Covid cases now 90

01 related death?

UK - 66.5 Million population
    IRL - 4.5 Million population

66.5/4.5 = 14.7
    14.7 * 90 = 1,330

we're going head to head with UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

A few friends of mine are going to a retreat next week a silent one, I suggested they might be best to leave it.

I've heard nothing back from them yet.

Ironically they're from Kinvara, that place is riddled in it im told.
    Nice place Kinvara, but all that hugging and kissing that goes on there is ok when there's no pandemic, now I'll steer clear it's nice to be tactile and loving but the Italians are very similar.

Not their cultures fault but I suppose someone who is tactile will be more prone to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭embraer170

In a lock down situation, how likely is it that Tesco deliveries will be able to keep up with the demand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement