Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ninthlife wrote: »
    What do you think it means?

Only essential emergency services operate

Its bound to happen and dont think its not being planned for either

How do you know it's not being planned for? Spain, Italy and China are about the countries in lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

nthclare wrote: »
    Id say a lot of lads will have a right mop of hair after this unless their partners are barbers or they shave their heads anyways.

Well all be sporting the corona style, my mop grows fairly fast.

We'll all have a bohemian look about us :)

Dunno, I heard the hairdressers and nail clinics were all doing good business yesterday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's not as if you'd be tested for it either. No way of proving it was actually a coronavirus. The majority of people would just recover without contacting a doctor.

Yeah. But when you think of the chain of events it would have taken for it to have been, it’s not improbable. So many people coming home from all parts of the world for Christmas as well. People jumping from airport to airport. China and Vancouver for example have strong links. All the Irish people in Vancouver coming home. It adds up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Gloves won't make any difference if you touch your face just as much as normal while wearing them.

I didn't once touch my face until I got home. Also disinfected the steering wheel, gearstick, shopping bags, door handles just in case. I have a small baby with medical issues so was like a madwoman!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is brennan's bread that ****, shelves of it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Gloves won't make any difference if you touch your face just as much as normal while wearing them.

Bring a few pairs if you have to drive to a few places for your shopping.
    Be very conscience of not touching face and take the gloves off and dispose after each shop.
    Can be done, if your hair gets in your eyes it's amazing the new contortions you can learn to use elbows and everything else except hands to get that hair away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Blueshoe wrote: »
    We may finally see the collapse of the parasite that is capitalism. The glorious dawn of communism is upon us.

Or even better social ecology and communlism

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It won't be the epicentre for long. Maybe a month, two months max. There is much greater vulnerability elsewhere.
    I can't begin to imagine how bad the Americas are going to suffer. The United States in a big way. Going on social media, forums and the like Americans seem to be either "it's the end of the world!!" or "it's only the flu bro, tripping on pavements kills more people, etc".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

cnocbui wrote: »

The Daily Mail have published cures for cancer thousands of times, yet it is still with us.

They are very good for the exciting headline but dubious with their treatment of the truth.

Cheers Beasty. My mam has a carer coming in in the morning. I think the service may be suspended at some stage, but then what happens to those on their own completely unless the HSE have some other plan at this stage? I hope they do.......

https://familycarers.ie/a-message-from-the-ceo/

Bookmark this page. They are setting up an FAQ soon and have mentioned your concerns

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »
    In a lock down situation, how likely is it that Tesco deliveries will be able to keep up with the demand?
    They can keep up with demand if people don't try to buy six month's supply at once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dunno, I heard the hairdressers and nail clinics were all doing good business yesterday..

And the tattoo parlors are still open, got my shoulder and upper back lower neck piece done last week and being from Clare the tattooist was slagging me in a playful bantering way.

I'd say it'll be October before I go from mid arm to the elbow now.

Really sensing a ratcheting up of the hysteria levels on this version of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭threeball

cnocbui wrote: »
    Just another copycat: The Australian government is to give AU$750 to 6.5 million people. In 2010 a previous government gave AU$800 to the eligible as a stimulus measure.

Hes right though. Pay it now to save jobs and tax it back later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Whatever about the lockdown scenario, the elephant in the kitchen here was the so called 'containment phase'. How could you possibly observe people returning from known infected areas like northern Italy and advise that it was alright to return to normal life as in work & school etc. Our health experts surely didn't react quick enough by 'containing' these vectors of infection and limiting their effect.

nthclare wrote: »
    And the tattoo parlors are still open, got my shoulder and upper back lower neck piece done last week and being from Clare the tattooist was slagging me in a playful bantering way.

I'd say it'll be October before I go from mid arm to the elbow now.

You do come across as being quite concerned with image..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

kowloon wrote: »
    Not just Trump-bashing, but a good illustration of someone not understanding that this was the beginning of something large and long-lasting.

x6WAmag.jpg

Seriously, how can they not hang their heads in shame this man-child is their president? I know more articulate toddlers..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,505 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My mam has a carer coming in in the morning. Surely some form of alternative plan will be needed with the increasing risk of infected carers?

Would it be possible for the carer to be cancelled and a family member take over ? It obviously depends on the level of care required too but if it’s just companionship, cooking, help with meds and so on it is likely achievable to do this with a family member. The carer while being cautious is going to be interacting with a few other people during the day.

A relative of ours has cancelled their carer for this reason but they are not dependent on them any more as they are in recovery, more a ‘good to have’ thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Its interesting how eastern european countries take this far more seriously than western europe. The key is to get a head start on coronavirus so closing their borders is a wise thing to do.

Is it necessarily that they take it more seriously or that they have come from a history/culture of doing what's right for society/restricting the rights of individuals? Same in Asia where many countries were able to combat the virus by curbing individual freedoms.

It's maybe a downside of our way of life that because we basically believe that individuals should be able to do what they want (within reason), it becomes very difficult to tell them what to do in a situation like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can't begin to imagine how bad the Americas are going to suffer. The United States in a big way. Going on social media, forums and the like Americans seem to be either "it's the end of the world!!" or "it's only the flu bro, tripping on pavements kills more people, etc".

that was like us two weeks ago!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Currently having brunch in a full restaurant in Maine. Few changes, shopping is a bit more difficult but nothing serious yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Certainly a lot of talk of the country going into general lockdown, it looks very likely to happen in the next few days. And it is needed.

Many are doing the right things, social isolating etc, but many are not. And I have heard a good bit of “shur it all made up” and people not taking it seriously, bordering on crazy conspiracy theories.

The big issue is too many people are still in shops, coffee shops etc.
    I drove around a few towns today and so much unnecessary interactions going on, we need to shutdown everything except essentials like shops but have proper protocol on place to allow people to buy from shops.

Have a friend who thinks it will be gone in a few weeks. And that we are already on the way down. And that we will be laughing about it at Easter.

Then started getting annoyed with me when I started explaining exponential growth rates and told me to stop panicking.

There is a difference between panicking and being a realist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Businesses are starting to close in the city. Restaurants and bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

is_that_so wrote: »
    Really sensing a ratcheting up of the hysteria levels on this version of the thread.

I pop in now and again just to be sure I'm not dead already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,765 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ETFAPMtWkAYFXGo?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

The Daily Mail have published cures for cancer thousands of times, yet it is still with us.

They are very good for the exciting headline but dubious with their treatment of the truth.

To be fair, the Mail also informs people about the causes of cancer too. Some things have even appeared in its stories as both cure and cause. :eek:

(0:30 - 1:00)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

tY4mWjI.jpg

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Whatever about the lockdown scenario, the elephant in the kitchen here was the so called 'containment phase'. How could you possibly observe people returning from known infected areas like northern Italy and advise that it was alright to return to normal life as in work & school etc. Our health experts surely didn't react quick enough by 'containing' these vectors of infection and limiting their effect.
    Same "finger of blame" could be pointed all health authorities. This thing was always going to break out regardless, just like the flu' does every year, and this phase was anticipated. So far it has not spread as quickly as in other places, who unfortunately did not respond well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement