Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

threeball wrote: »
    People won't take it serious there until a Kardashian dies.
    Sounds crazy but it's the absolute truth!

Strumms wrote: »
    Would it be possible for the carer to be cancelled and a family member take over ? It obviously depends on the level of care required too but if it’s just companionship, cooking, help with meds and so on it is likely achievable to do this with a family member. The carer while being cautious is going to be interacting with a few other people during the day.

A relative of ours has cancelled their carer for this reason but they are not dependent on them any more as they are in recovery, more a ‘good to have’ thankfully.

Probably could be done if it came to it. Its part of the HSE home support package. Someone comes in in the morning for around 30mins. Gives a wash etc. Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

voluntary wrote: »
    UK - 66.5 Million population
    IRL - 4.5 Million population

66.5/4.5 = 14.7
    14.7 * 90 = 1,330

we're going head to head with UK

66.5/4.8 = 13.85
    13.85 * 90 = 1246.5

You can't just magic away 6% of the population of the State.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Dunno, I heard the hairdressers and nail clinics were all doing good business yesterday..

My ones is closing up this afternoon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What planet are you f*cking on. We've closed schools and creche's. GAA has cancelled all games at all levels, Rugby and soccer also.

We have more or less given advice against all foreign travel.

Contract tracking and isolation of early cases.

Anyone who has returned from travelling abroad are being advised to self quarantine. UK have done NOTHING.

This is important, and very true.

Everything in the UK sportwise has shut down IN SPITE of official advice.

I am very very concerned for my family over there.

Two sisters and a multitude of aunts, uncles and cousins all working in or around London. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the numbers of cases in UK is the the tens of thousands if not hundreds .

The average time from contraction to death is 21 days. This is going to kick off spectacularly in the UK very very soon.

Ireland we will see if their containment measures have made any difference in the coming weeks

I'm not sure, the 'containment measures' are too relax to have any significant impact. Restaurants are still open, pubs are open, airports are open, offices are open, institutions are open, 'work from home if you can'. The measures are a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Heckler wrote: »
    First hand knowledge of a Hen party happening tonight. Gross stupidity. Govt. need to close all pubs now.
    At 4 o'clock on a Saturday?

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

Just popped into Murrays on O Connell street to use the facilities, not a seat in the place to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly...in principle it is a fantastic idea and would be great,but logistically I wonder would it work.I visit housebound elderly clients as part of my work and the resistance of many to leave their house in any circumstances (because of poor mobility/not wanting to go into a “home” etc is huge.Many have issues with cognition and issues with consent/capacity would probably make this a nightmare scenario,even in the unprecedented circumstances...that said would be great if it would work.
    All staff(carers/health professionals etc.) will be expected to continue visiting the elderly in the home in future weeks, to keep them out of hospital and maintain them at home,and we will just have to adopt optimal hygiene measures (as will everyone else)....daunting times ahead...

I share their thoughts ! I really do. Thankfully although I am alone in Ireland my extended family have my expressed wishes on this and will ensure they are respected. . Currently I am fine thankfully but at nearly 80 and with some health issues. We have lived independently all our lives and will fight to do that and be very grateful to those who like you assist us in that. THANK YOU!

voluntary wrote: »
    I'm not sure, the 'containment measures' are too relax to have any significant impact. Restaurants are still open, pubs are open, airports are open, offices are open, institutions are open, 'work from home if you can'. The measures are a drop in the ocean.

Our scenario is a set of 9 clusters. It hasn't gone geographically widespread like Italy or Spain. The argument to approach this in phased measures is still a solid one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

is_that_so wrote: »
    At 4 o'clock on a Saturday?

Why not? Say pubs to be closed from 12 tonight for 2 weeks. And see what happens. For the overall good it has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Businesses are starting to close in the city. Restaurants and bars.

In Cork?

Close competely or finish early

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

cnocbui wrote: »
    That sounds pretty hard.

Yeah not my style. I practice Transcendental Meditation and the TM Sidhi programme. When in a group setting
    or retreat, the aim is to be comfortable so one can get deep rest and that their meditation is non effort. The concept of one needs to suffer to reach 'the Kingdom of Heaven' is not entertained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Just popped into Murrays on O Connell street to use the facilities, not a seat in the place to be had.

Toilet seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What containment measures? We’ve done nothing.

Early reports that d'virus effects brain cells.

Did you say you have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Daily Mail have published cures for cancer thousands of times, yet it is still with us.

They are very good for the exciting headline but dubious with their treatment of the truth.

Usual Boards knee-jerk DM link brain-fart reaction. The DM is just reporting on a pre published paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3546044

The DM didn't write the paper.

baldbear wrote: »
    Why not? Say pubs to be closed from 12 tonight for 2 weeks. And see what happens. For the overall good it has to happen.
    Only pubs or do you want to add restaurants and hotels as well?

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Toilet seat?

Theyve ripped them out urinals only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Eh?

We have free travel with the UK :D:D A country who are literally going for a completely different let it be approach allowing the population to get the disease. This same country has one of the busiest routes between two airports in the Europe(the world?) with our capital. People coming and going all the time.

So if they are bad we are ****ed too. Token HSE attempts to limit it to some arbitrarily selected regions won’t work. Do the HSE think the virus knows who is Spanish and Italian and English?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I’m glad the UK is no longer part of the EU, the selfish cnuts. Feel sorry for the ordinary people there but they are a mess. They need to be cut loose and if NI want to side with them, them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Does anyone have any opinions on why we’ve closed down schools etc but are not restricting flights in and out of affected regions? Should there not be a quarantine for people who have come back from Spain, Italy for example to deter people going there.

I know people are being advised to self isolate but I don’t think many people will drive straight home and do that. If I people have been daft enough to fly to Cheltenham or Italy in the last week it’s highly unlikely they’ll take measures to self isolate properly. What’s to stop them heading to do a grocery shop or down their local for a few pints?

Could this not mean that the virus is still being imported and just going to be rampant if schools open up in a few weeks time ( I don’t think they will) or a few months time? I’m struggling to understand the logic behind no travel restrictions at all when Poland for example is closing borders.

Hotels could be used as quarantine and this could help them through this difficult phase. New Zealand is now quarantining anyone who arrives for 14 days. Should this not be happening here from certain regions to slow it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Drumpot wrote: »

We do that already. Its called social welfare. Most people would waste free money anyways and it potentially could cause inflation.

My wife is on several WhatsApp groups and on most of them, there are people asking for volunteers to look after health care workers kids while they go in to work.

So, should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I’m glad the UK is no longer part of the EU, the selfish cnuts. Feel sorry for the ordinary people there but they are a mess. They need to be cut loose and if NI want to side with them, them too.

Jeepers

We do that already. Its called social welfare. Most people would waste free money anyways and it potentially could cause inflation.

Cant waste it if you can only spend it on the bear nessasities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only pubs or do you want to add restaurants and hotels as well?

Yes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

nthclare wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, I will be dabbling in the dark side and hopefully hell won't be my final destination yet.

Youll find me in a tent beside the wedge tomb up the commons in the Burren, there will be a pentagram surrounding me in hazelwood posts and trout and pike on spikes.

Hail Pazuzu and his fellow demons, ill banish the Abrahamic sand demon from these shores yet...

Namaste

Was that you.....the bloke in the Unicorn Onsie?

...nice sandles.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

We have free travel with the UK :D:D A country who are literally going for a completely different let it be approach allowing the population to get the disease. This same country has one of the busiest routes between two airports in the Europe(the world?)

So if they are bad we are ****ed too. Token HSE attempts to limit it to some arbitrarily selected regions won’t work.

Yes I agree, I don’t see how we can be any different to other countries if we are not restricting travel or have quarantine. Look at the amount of people in supermarkets even!!

All those touch screens being used! Germs everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Tiddles_1 wrote: »
    People like this should be prosecuted thats endangerment, could easily lead to someone dying if they catch it off them.

So what we heard everyone in to there houses and shoot on sight if they even look out. You know the Italians in there lockdown (praised here) did not completely shut down shops restaurants and pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Tiddles_1

Aegir wrote: »
    My wife is on several WhatsApp groups and on most of them, there are people asking for volunteers to look after health care workers kids while they go in to work.

So, should we?

I would say yes if you are going to stay away from anyone elderly or at risk groups while you look after the kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement