Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

We have free travel with the UK :D:D A country who are literally going for a completely different let it be approach allowing the population to get the disease. This same country has one of the busiest routes between two airports in the Europe(the world?) with our capital. People coming and going all the time.

So if they are bad we are ****ed too. Token HSE attempts to limit it to some arbitrarily selected regions won’t work. Do the HSE think the virus knows who is Spanish and Italian and English?

That isn’t the approach at all. The UK’s approach differs to ours in terms of timing, that is all.

There’s a very good article on the RTE website explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It is extremely vague.
    What's the plan . Close all businesses? I thought you were worried about your 2 friends losing their jobs. You want to shut the place down for an unknown number of weeks. Many businesses will not open again. How will people pay rent and mortgages?
    How will the government run the country since the economy has now come to a stand still?
    Will you close shops too? Where will people buy fuel and food?
    How about airports?

Complete lockdown is a hollow , not thought out pointless statement.

Push the limits, feel the burn etc

Yes close all businesses

I feel sorry for people including my friends losing their jobs but its inevitable in alot of sectors sadly.

Freeze on mortgages and rents. Tax incentive offered to landlords as sn incentive in future years

Belgium have introduced measures of supermarkets pharmacies being the only retailers oopen and having limited opening times and days.

A full lockdown isnt impossible and their will be economic casualties but if it were to work the economic recovery may be quicker

Packed pubs, shops is going to create a larger strain on health services which could be more disasterous.

It really is unchartered tertitory and regardless of the options taken people, businesses and economy are going to suffer

Tiddles_1 wrote: »
    I would say yes if you are going to stay away from anyone elderly or at risk groups while you look after the kids

So why not just send them all to school then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Aegir wrote: »
    My wife is on several WhatsApp groups and on most of them, there are people asking for volunteers to look after health care workers kids while they go in to work.

So, should we?

Definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

That isn’t the approach at all. The UK’s approach differs to ours in terms of timing, that is all.

Ah here, go away with your facts. Only end of the world lunatics allowed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

baldbear wrote: »
    Yes of course.
    Sure, putting 150-200K people out of work is exactly what the country needs right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

is_that_so wrote: »
    Our scenario is a set of 9 clusters. It hasn't gone geographically widespread like Italy or Spain. The argument to approach this in phased measures is still a solid one.
    Of currently detected cases. All other countries who are further advanced along the curve and who have researched it have found that when they checked their earlier confirmed figures they found that actual numbers infected were 10-30 times higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Asymtomatic carriers and spreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Yes close all businesses

I feel sorry for people including my friends losing their jobs but its inevitable in alot of sectors sadly.

Freeze on mortgages and rents. Tax incentive offered to landlords as sn incentive in future years

Belgium have introduced measures of supermarkets pharmacies being the only retailers oopen and having limited opening times and days.

A full lockdown isnt impossible and their will be economic casualties but if it were to work the economic recovery may be quicker

Packed pubs, shops is going to create a larger strain on health services which could be more disasterous.

It really is unchartered tertitory and regardless of the options taken people, businesses and economy are going to suffer

We can do this, if we all pull together to stay apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Was that you.....the bloke in the Unicorn Onsie?

...nice sandles.

Birkenstocks too, brown ones with a buckle and all.... Made out of Burren goat :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Thank god I opened a Deadly Virus From Hell bank account years ago. Along with the rainy day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tiddles_1

I didn't send them home from school ... I'm talking about healthcare workers children only yes they should be looked after and let the parents go work in the front line where they are needed, our numbers have nowhere to go but up and they will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The bog roll is a funny one. Felt like a spare buying it last night, usually buy the smallest packs ever, one at a time even, like one roll at a time. Not even joking. But just decided to get caught up in the frenzy and buy a huge pack. Won’t need to buy it until summer.

You said you had self isolated for 6 days last night. What planet are you currently orbiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

The WHO have said they are not using the correct approach and are putting other countries at risk. They are not just behind Ireland, they have stated their approach will be herd immunity, which translates to **** the old and the infirm. If this virus disproportionately affected children would they still take the same stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

My wife is on several WhatsApp groups and on most of them, there are people asking for volunteers to look after health care workers kids while they go in to work.

So, should we?

You would need to be Garda Vetted or you wouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

All takeaways have closed in the nearest town to me , 6 of them . Shops all still open for now. Two pubs have decided to close for a week ( quiet pubs) .. Local taxi and minibus company have shut also. Local chemist and credit union are implementing the one meter rule and credit union have opened the express lodgement box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

YFlyer wrote: »
    My other housemate is using lab based latex gloves when preparing and cooking food. Also when washing his dishes. Ridiculous.

Well, I would gladly exchange him with mine who sneezes in the kitchen a and goes out every night

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

saabsaab wrote: »
    Might be best to avoid someone returning from Cheltenham for a week? A lot of us will know a few lads.

I’d be avoiding those types anyway regardless of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,434 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any guess on the number here in Ireland for end of today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I lived through the NI troubles.
    I was in 3 different towns when bombs went off and killed people.
    My car was hit by bullets when passing through a checkpoint near Newry.
    I was in Dundalk in 1975 buying a pair of shoes when a bomb went off killing two people about 100 yards from me.
    I was kicked by a horse in a very sore spot,nearly gored by a bull once but jumped the gate just in time.
    I survived a very bad fatal car crash.
    I’m worse than Kate Adie was.

No Feckin virus is going to get the better of me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

threeball wrote: »
    Hes right though. Pay it now to save jobs and tax it back later.

I didn't say he was wrong. I think helicopter money is vastly better idea than central banks making money free to corporations and banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

threeball wrote: »
    You would need to be Garda Vetted or you wouldn't be allowed.

True. Even if you are already vetted for the local sport club. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinions on why we’ve closed down schools etc but are not restricting flights in and out of affected regions? Should there not be a quarantine for people who have come back from Spain, Italy for example to deter people going there.

I know people are being advised to self isolate but I don’t think many people will drive straight home and do that. If I people have been daft enough to fly to Cheltenham or Italy in the last week it’s highly unlikely they’ll take measures to self isolate properly. What’s to stop them heading to do a grocery shop or down their local for a few pints?

Could this not mean that the virus is still being imported and just going to be rampant if schools open up in a few weeks time ( I don’t think they will) or a few months time? I’m struggling to understand the logic behind no travel restrictions at all when Poland for example is closing borders.

Hotels could be used as quarantine and this could help them through this difficult phase. New Zealand is now quarantining anyone who arrives for 14 days. Should this not be happening here from certain regions to slow it down?

Coveny and co say we're 'not allowed' due to being in the EU and yet several other EU nations have done it. Illustrates The weakness of our political establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    You said you had self isolated for 6 days last night. What planet are you currently orbiting?

he's trolling we have given him to much attention already

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

embraer170 wrote: »
    In a lock down situation, how likely is it that Tesco deliveries will be able to keep up with the demand?

Was in Tesco Balbriggan a little earlier. No signs of panic (were jammed yesterday apparently), and shelves were well stocked. Got everything I was looking for except for unsweetened long life Soya milk (had plenty of the sweetened version), and the only section that looked particularly bare was flour. They seem to be well on top of things there

My wife was in the Swords one and there was more sign of panic there, but I guess that place is a bit more accessible to larger numbers and has less storage capacity

Bearing in mind their main distribution centre is near Donabate I think they are pretty on top of keeping their shelves stocked and things will be pretty much as normal as people realise they have enough to avoid having to go out for anything except fresh milk and bread for a few, or more, days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bekker wrote: »
    Of currently detected cases. All other countries who are further advanced along the curve and who have researched it have found that when they checked their earlier confirmed figures they found that actual numbers infected were actually 10-30 times higher.
    The higher numbers only matter if the health systems come under pressure as in Spain and Italy. That research is really more along the lines of "we actually don't know and may never know but it could be this many". If people have been infected and come through it without detection their only value now is to herd immunity and what level they bring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Looptheloop30

YFlyer wrote: »
    True. Even if you are already vetted for the local sport club. Ridiculous.

It's certainly not ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

baldbear wrote: »
    Why not? Say pubs to be closed from 12 tonight for 2 weeks. And see what happens. For the overall good it has to happen.

IOf we are in containment phase yes, if we are in delay phase then maybe not...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

walshb wrote: »
    Any guess on the number here in Ireland for end of today?[/QUOTE

Another 25? One nurse is in ICU on a ventilator today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,545 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

harr wrote: »
    All takeaways have closed in the nearest town to me , 6 of them . Shops all still open for now. Two pubs have decided to close for a week ( quiet pubs) .. Local taxi and minibus company have shut also. Local chemist and credit union are implementing the one meter rule and credit union have opened the express lodgement box.

Seem a lot of places are imposing a self closure without the government having to tell them to - thinking of their customers health first

Then you have other places who couldn't give a...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement