Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Anyone think flights between London and Dublin will be halted anytime soon?

Likely in a week or two or we will never control this.

The UK will become the new Northern Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tiddles_1

He just said its ok to panic buy basically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think we do need a lockdown of sorts and soon. Just going by the people I know personally, I've been quite surprised by how lackadaisical, sometimes to the point of sheer fcuking stupidity some of them are and I genuinely wouldn't have thought them to be this reckless, or act so needlessly stupidly. A few have come out with "sure it's only a flu isn't it?". Another when I said something like "jaysus, how bloody thick would you have to be to hoard bogroll?" and saw by his reaction he was one of them(later confirmed). And these would be otherwise very well read, bright and clued in people. I suppose people are so very wedded to their routines and how we've always done things that they cling to them out of some sort of comfort with that sense of order. So when I see people like that who aren't morons, yeah I think we need the authorities to come in and do their thinking for them until this blows over.

Yeah I agree, individuals are hard to predict, but human behaviour is very predictable.
    I think we either need to to full lock down for limited period or follow the UK approach. Half in measures will just cause economic hardship with limited health benefits.

I might personally be a problem, I work in a large secondary school in the north but live in the south. 100s of people do all along border region. An all Ireland approach is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,168 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump tested, results in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Tiddles_1 wrote: »
    He just said its ok to panic buy basically

The right to bear arms will come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

klose wrote: »
    Does anybody know what they do with the bodies of people who pass form this? Are they all cremated? I assume funerals are off in the likes of Spain and italy given the sheer amount who are dying.

Italy is having a hard time collecting the corpses from people's houses at the moment. Funeral Homes still operating but you can't have public funerals

Trump says he was tested last night doesn't know when he will get result ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Trump is such a funny man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It was a beautiful test by all accounts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

3rd person at mar a lago tests positive.
    Must be on the menu there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Happy enough with this. In a couple of weeks the US will be the epicentre
    Totally agree.
    They will just stop testing people ..they are already testing very very small numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I’m actually not trolling. We haven’t done anything.

The schools have shut, the St Patrick’s Day parades have been cancelled, all sporting activities have been shelved.

Are you being obtuse or is your brain rotting from your 6 days of “self isolation”?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy is having a hard time collecting the corpses from people's houses at the moment. Funeral Homes still operating but you can't have public funerals

Heart breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 40,046 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump is such a funny man.

Ah no.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is this press conference really happening?

Its so strange he actually sounds like he is in his right mind ive never seen him like this before ...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

joe40 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, individuals are hard to predict, but human behaviour is very predictable.
    I think we either need to to full lock down for limited period or follow the UK approach. Half in measures will just cause economic hardship with limited health benefits.

I might personally be a problem, I work in a large secondary school in the north but live in the south. 100s of people do all along border region. An all Ireland approach is needed.
    Problem with all drastic measures is timing and duration.

Too early equals too long, humans normalise routine, become irked with restrictions over time, seek to evade, scarce resources needed to enforce containment regimes, crowd dispersal, riots, a vicious cycle begins.

A state normally cannot afford to maintain sufficiently numerous security forces to enforce decrees on a resistant population by cowing with a threat of force.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Chinese don't fcuk around.!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

fritzelly wrote: »
    Seem a lot of places are imposing a self closure without the government having to tell them to - thinking of their customers health first

Then you have other places who couldn't give a...

To be honest it is probably more financial reasons driving decisions to close shops.

People are worried and are starting to go only to essential shops and particularly avoid the ones involving proximity with many other people (pubs seem to be an exception). And if a restaurant, a hairdresser, or a shop only has 20% of their usual customers, it might cost more money to open it than keeping it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Trump doesn't look so good lads , hiding his face a bit with the baseball hat ??

He never looked good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It was a beautiful test by all accounts

The best test done yet, tremendous doctors and team.

What could possibly go wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Xertz wrote: »
    Herd immunity by mass infection seems frankly insane public policy and needs to be called out for what it is.
    I think the interesting thing about the UK's approach is that there is an end goal in mind which is being communicated from the top to the public. We might disagree with it but there's some rationale that can at least be criticized.

We don't actually know our governments main goal in the longer term. Are we hoping for a vaccine or that medication will be made available before the peak? It may be that herd immunity is what is expected here too but the public can not yet be told.

Obviously I hope we're getting it right but I don't think we can easily dismiss the UK's approach. The UK authorities will also be getting their advice on what to do by world-class epidemiologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Its so strange he actually sounds like he is in his right mind ive never seen him like this before ...
    Is it reverse delirium?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Omg that is so sad

Almost all elderly looking at the photos

Mic 1972 wrote: »

And we see our pubs still doing a decent trade. I know its only one area but jesus christ. A little personal responsibility and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Oh Trump sounds worried, seems kind of different to a degree, I think the penny is finally dropping. Still a lot of bullsh’ but Much less bravado......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ever want to see trumps genius. Look how he made the situation with the microphone and having to lower it for the people who can’t reach it. Gives him a sense of dominance and power. He’s a smart man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

bekker wrote: »
    Problem with all drastic measures is timing and duration.

Too early equals too long, humans normalise routine, become irked with restrictions over time, seek to evade, scarce resources needed to enforce containment regimes, crowd dispersal, riots, a vicious cycle begins.

A state normally cannot afford to maintain sufficiently security forces to enforce decrees on a resistant population by cowing with a threat of force.

Holy coronavirus Batman, are you saying that this isn't just as easy as declaring lockdown for several months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Death notices in Italian newspaper in bergamo compared to usual. Shocking stuff. Just a flu.

https://twitter.com/davcarretta/status/1238791068071661568?s=20

Omg :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement