Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

dodzy wrote: »
    Is that the US extension you re referring to, or wider ?

Full flight ban from IRL/UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My housemate flew to Spain yesterday, her family moved there years ago and she wanted to be with them. She just sent us this:

"Hey how are you, at home, how goes LOCKDOWN in Ireland, ya know with the pubs still open and what not!!! *facepalm emoji*

Have ya's your plan in place for the next step if the Irish government go that way ? Being here and seeing how fast they kicked this into operation from NOTHING it's a bit of a shock to the system.

So I just want to let my loved ones know just how serious it is here in spain, not to frighten you but just to give an account from someone you know and not some shared post on Facebook.

It's very different here than Ireland. They closed all the bars EVERYEHERE not just Madrid as they are reporting on the news.

The government have not yet announced payment for loss of work /hours. According to [Brother]'s boss who I spoke with directly yesterday, said they believe options to end contracts will be most likely how they deal
    With it. (This is going to CRIPLE the economy but I think that's inevitable world wide)

Just before we left the la zenia area yesterday the armoured police had just started calling in to each bar with a legal notice to state they needed to close and what the ramifications would be if they did.

A royal decree has just been announced to the nation regarding the reasons that you may leave your home.

Three flights coming from the UK to Alicante today were told to turn bavk that Alicante wasn't accepting them.
    Some flights that landed today were sent to designated hotels and told to stay indoors. *shocked face emoji*

There's trucks going around making announcements to stay inside. It's full on 'war zone' vibe.

Having said all this I feel very safe here in the 'compound' with Mam and dad Like basically Alexandria *Scream face emoji* in the walking dead. Our small supermarket is open and proof of address *may* be required that you are from the site. But at least it's very calm on site. This morning we did a walk and the coffee house was open in golf club were closing at 4pm when all
    Rounds were to be finished. (Not sure why golf is allowed and leaving your house isn't but... *shrugging lady emoji*

What seems to have sparked all This ( in this region) was a mass exit from Madrid when it shut down, and many residents hit the roads to head to their summer 'homes' in this ( and other) regions. As of yesterday there was 3 cases in Murcia today so far, with people coming into the area has shot to 60 so far today....

I'd be worried about the Irish gangs coming back from Cheltenham and other holidays around the world - not saying this to scare anyone but JUST TO SAY STAY HOME, don't go to the pub (like I did on Thursday) this is coming. I can't see anywhere escaping it now - the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

As I'm writing this the song playing 'who's got the last laugh now' and the line standing out to me is 'we all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round' well... while we didn't laugh when we heard reports coming out of China or then Italy we couldn't quite comprehend the severity of it. I'm telling you if I could have felt what I feel and see here today I would have not gone to the pub on Thursday, I would have closed [stage school] last week and I would have gotten out to be with my parents sooner.

We can't even go visit [Nephew] until this is lifted. It's too far to be considered *a necessary journey*.

So make sure your close to home and know who you want there with you if and when this kind of strict measures hit Ireland.

All the 'end of the world' movies have come in handy as I went to two properties with dad today as he was locking them up as there is a storm on the way (yeah seariously) but while I was there I was taking a mental note of Toliet roll, tinned goods, freezer items, bleach and booze !!! Just Incase *laughing emoji*

Today lock down looks like sitting on the terrace about to have an evening drink listening to jazz....

Anyways, I hope this information is irrelevant but in case it isn't I wanted you to know it x

Also it's guna be a long few weeks 'letter writing' might come back in style !

Love ya look forward to hearing back when your sitting home board and need outside interaction!

*kissy face emojis*"

Edit: fixed formatting errors caused by unsupported WhatsApp emojis.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ZX7R wrote: »
    I believe our president would also have to sign off on it.
    But I could be wrong
    A lot can be done via Ministerial Orders under existing regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

branie2 wrote: »
    Cashiers in our local Dunne's wearing protective gloves this afternoon.

We have imposed the same rule in all of the branches where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

shesty wrote: »
    And toilet roll is not exactly a necessity...
    It kind of is....I don't have a bidet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

As jesus once said, "man cannot live on loo roll alone"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Tiddles_1 wrote: »
    No such thing as good news , every briefing right now numbers will go up .

Went down yesterday.

I'm just trying to stay hopefull

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm hearing anecdotes that returnees from Cheltenham are being shunned socially.

They should be sent out of town on horseback like what they did with lepers back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

When are we shutting down the airports here. Because that has to happen immediately. Apart from essential freight, food supplies. Ports also.

At the moment, they think it is unnecessary as risk of transmission is low. It could well happen though if there is a dramatic spike in UK cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Unbelievable news yesterday - they were looking at releasing prisoners (apparently in a "controlled" manner) due to COVID 19. Something about the rights of the prisoners.

These would be prisoners at the very end of their sentence. They do this exact same thing every Christmas. You won't be seeing murderers, rapists etc released.

It's a non story imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Same in Supervalu. Not much point to it unless they are changing them after dealing with each customer. Contaminated gloves are the same as contaminated hands.

Easier to sanitise gloves using gel.... A lot of public facing workers' hands are becoming raw from the gels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Voices in your head?

Told you there would be an announcement.

Less of the smart arse comments in future. I dont make up bull**** when people's lives are at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2018-04-17_bus_40097778_I16.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Strazdas wrote: »
    At the moment, they think it is unnecessary as risk of transmission is low. It could well happen though if there is a dramatic spike in UK cases.

That's beginning already unfortunately. 342 new cases today, 10 deaths. Wasn't that Italy not 2 weeks ago? :(

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You should change the "d" in your username to another "t". Your posts would be more enjoyable then.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Surely it's better they quarantine them? In prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

So the Spanish tried the same as Italy and ran from the worst affected areas once lockdown was announced, resulting in the whole country getting locked down. Is it that hard to just conform to the lockdown for a while?

Hard to know what the announcement this evening could be here. Could be anything from "stay out of the pubs ye clowns" to a sharp increase in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Death notices in Italian newspaper in bergamo compared to usual. Shocking stuff. Just a flu.

https://twitter.com/davcarretta/status/1238791068071661568?s=20
    Maybe if RTÉ put this on the 9 o'clock news people might realise what all this is really about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wow, are people seeing this? USA guaranteeing incomes for two weeks? This is huge, I really didn’t see them doing this... Something savage must of scared the crap out of them. This is such a huge shift so quickly....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just back from Aldi.shelves are packed full of food.plenty to go around.fair play to the staff.
    The drama queens who emptied the shelves Thursday and Friday weren’t long punching themselves out the greedy swine.they should be ashamed of themselves.
    They’re at home now the same clowns wondering what they will do with 12 boxes of pasta and waiting for the next bandwagon to come along to jump on.fcukin idiots

Same as that, just back from Dunnes. Shelves were fully stocked, actually never seen them as full. Plenty of staff about refilling anything left empty and there was a young lad at the self service wiping down the machine after each person used it. I thought that was good. I went to Aldi after for a few bits and I found it suspiciously quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DeanAustin wrote: »
    As moronic as the emptying of shops is, it is the very embodiment of people taking it seriously. Yes I do realise that being in a crowded shop is kind of counter productive but stupid doesn't equal not taking it seriously.
    It's a panicked reaction and a monumentally retarded one and one where cooler minds have to force the mob to cop the hell on.
    People being out and about, in itself, is not dumb. I brought my kids out earlier.
    If people are bringing their kids out and meeting other people and hanging out they're dumb, or rather clueless about how social distancing and lowering risks work.
    Most people are taking this seriously. Not everyone but most people.
    And yet bars and restaurants had plenty of customers over the last few nights, a mass of morons fecked off to Cheltenham and many thousands of people queued arse to tit in supermarkets panic buying.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Theres no fights from Italy to Dublin or Ireland at all due in tonight. They're all cancelled

About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Oh god it's almost 5pm are Italy still doing the updates around this time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Perhaps Leo has tested positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Tiddles_1 wrote: »
    Also anyone in pharmacy they are seriously under pressure

I've been a Pharmacist for 6 years. Never in my life have I seen anything like this. I've banned more patients from the Pharmacy in these last 2 days than I have in the last six years. The abuse my staff and myself have gotten has been frightening.

I've had to adopt a one in one out policy to try and deal with this. Nobody wants you in the Pharmacy for longer than you have to be. But understand we're doing double, triple the volume we normally do on a day. I've worked 40 of the last 72 hours...

For God sake lads be sound to Pharmacy staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Something no other country is considering doing due to the virus by the way, not even the worst hit countries

Iran have already released 54,000

It's being considered in the US as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

Axfrderr wrote: »
    Maybe if RTÉ put this on the 9 o'clock news people might realise what all this is really about.

Young people don't watch TV or the news.
    We would be better buying ads on social media platforms with precautions tailored to the audiences that use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why not advise shutdown of pubs ? but shutdown of colleges of further education? surely education is more important then getting drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It'll be non violent offenders etc and all the other people who probably shouldn't have gotten a custodial sentence anyway. The dummies get outraged but it actually makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement