Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I've been a Pharmacist for 6 years. Never in my life have I seen anything like this. I've banned more patients from the Pharmacy in these last 2 days than I have in the last six years. The abuse my staff and myself have gotten has been frightening.

I've had to adopt a one in one out policy to try and deal with this. Nobody wants you in the Pharmacy for longer than you have to be. But understand we're doing double, triple the volume we normally do on a day. I've worked 40 of the last 72 hours...

For God sake lads be sound to Pharmacy staff.

Just toerags that abuse people like yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Stheno wrote: »
    Perhaps Leo has tested positive?

I’d sooner expect Leo to get it from Trump then vice versa.....

Jesus, this USA announcement is just massive..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't want to be a part of this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Necro wrote: »
    I'll 100% still be working irregardless, work in Illness Benefit.

People like you and others security, transport driver's ECT
    Will be the forgotten hero's in all of this.
    Thanks to everyone who put there health in jeopardy to help others and our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

statesaver wrote: »
    About time.

You do know Italy has been in lockdown and most flights stopped days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ongarite wrote: »
    Young people don't watch TV or the news.
    We would be better buying ads on social media platforms with precautions tailored to the audiences that use them.

A lot of the millenials working with me are in shock at this week's events. Up to then they were treating the whole thing in a mocking sort of way. They just were not following the news coming from Italy and realising we could be a few weeks behind them.

I agree that Instagram / tiktok or what ever could be a useful tool on getting the message through to the younger population.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

N. Ireland need to get onto the same page as us or we’re in more serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Justice at last for 'Garlic Man'........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Message the Jet2 pilots received. Source an aviation group I follow (not public) but backed up by FR24 info it appears genuine.

b16958c81ff5ff348c96afa067a283e7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My housemate flew to Spain yesterday, her family moved there years ago and she wanted to be with them. She just sent us this:

"Hey how are you, at home, how goes LOCKDOWN in Ireland, ya know with the pubs still open and what not!!! *facepalm emoji*

Have ya's your plan in place for the next step if the Irish government go that way ? Being here and seeing how fast they kicked this into operation from NOTHING it's a bit of a shock to the system.

So I just want to let my loved ones know just how serious it is here in spain, not to frighten you but just to give an account from someone you know and not some shared post on Facebook.

It's very different here than Ireland. They closed all the bars EVERYEHERE not just Madrid as they are reporting on the news.

The government have not yet announced payment for loss of work /hours. According to [Brother]'s boss who I spoke with directly yesterday, said they believe options to end contracts will be most likely how they deal
    With it. (This is going to CRIPLE the economy but I think that's inevitable world wide)

Just before we left the la zenia area yesterday the armoured police had just started calling in to each bar with a legal notice to state they needed to close and what the ramifications would be if they did.

A royal decree has just been announced to the nation regarding the reasons that you may leave your home.

Three flights coming from the UK to Alicante today were told to turn bavk that Alicante wasn't accepting them.
    Some flights that landed today were sent to designated hotels and told to stay indoors. *shocked face emoji*

There's trucks going around making announcements to stay inside. It's full on 'war zone' vibe.

Having said all this I feel very safe here in the 'compound' with Mam and dad Like basically Alexandria *Scream face emoji* in the walking dead. Our small supermarket is open and proof of address *may* be required that you are from the site. But at least it's very calm on site. This morning we did a walk and the coffee house was open in golf club were closing at 4pm when all
    Rounds were to be finished. (Not sure why golf is allowed and leaving your house isn't but... *shrugging lady emoji*

What seems to have sparked all This ( in this region) was a mass exit from Madrid when it shut down, and many residents hit the roads to head to their summer 'homes' in this ( and other) regions. As of yesterday there was 3 cases in Murcia today so far, with people coming into the area has shot to 60 so far today....

I'd be worried about the Irish gangs coming back from Cheltenham and other holidays around the world - not saying this to scare anyone but JUST TO SAY STAY HOME, don't go to the pub (like I did on Thursday) this is coming. I can't see anywhere escaping it now - the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

As I'm writing this the song playing 'who's got the last laugh now' and the line standing out to me is 'we all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round' well... while we didn't laugh when we heard reports coming out of China or then Italy we couldn't quite comprehend the severity of it. I'm telling you if I could have felt what I feel and see here today I would have not gone to the pub on Thursday, I would have closed [stage school] last week and I would have gotten out to be with my parents sooner.

We can't even go visit [Nephew] until this is lifted. It's too far to be considered *a necessary journey*.

So make sure your close to home and know who you want there with you if and when this kind of strict measures hit Ireland.

All the 'end of the world' movies have come in handy as I went to two properties with dad today as he was locking them up as there is a storm on the way (yeah seariously) but while I was there I was taking a mental note of Toliet roll, tinned goods, freezer items, bleach and booze !!! Just Incase *laughing emoji*

Today lock down looks like sitting on the terrace about to have an evening drink listening to jazz....

Anyways, I hope this information is irrelevant but in case it isn't I wanted you to know it x

Also it's guna be a long few weeks 'letter writing' might come back in style !

Love ya look forward to hearing back when your sitting home board and need outside interaction!

*kissy face emojis*
    what a load of crap.

closing pubs people will hit the stores and it will be 2x xmas sales wise.

seems out of all people theres specific women group that act as fck hysteric, where most people can handle this, even the elderly properly dont give much f about this, if it happens it will, Ireland didnt do much letting kids roam isnt containing anything more like reverse.

maybe good thing is that is seems many are quite in good health in general and this crap doesnt spread here as much given aside few cities country wide we dont have much density nor travels that people do, which makes it easier for smaller communities to stay off or contain it, as even as many say uk doesnt care, their approach isnt bad let it take its path.

as some pretending to know it all cant even do single maths on scale, uk has dozens of cities where entire irish population would fit, so their approach to keep it going and accepting that there will be casualties isnt wrong.

as in general we have many deaths that can be avoided nowadays but every clown will ignore that just because some are really mentally not right, and times like these truly show who have real mental issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latvia is the latest country to announce the closure of it's borders to all foreigners from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    A lot of the millenials working with me are in shock at this week's events. Up to then they were treating the whole thing in a mocking sort of way. They just were not following the news coming from Italy and realising we could be a few weeks behind them.

I agree that Instagram / tiktok or what ever could be a useful tool on getting the message through to the younger population.

Tell them they might be putting their granny in mortal danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Same as that, just back from Dunnes. Shelves were fully stocked, actually never seen them as full. Plenty of staff about refilling anything left empty and there was a young lad at the self service wiping down the machine after each person used it. I thought that was good. I went to Aldi after for a few bits and I found it suspiciously quiet.

Poor chap is a little like the liquidators in Chernobyl, they should give him a protective mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a panicked reaction and a monumentally retarded one and one where cooler minds have to force the mob to cop the hell on.

If people are bringing their kids out and meeting other people and hanging out they're dumb, or rather clueless about how social distancing and lowering risks work.

And yet bars and restaurants had plenty of customers over the last few nights, a mass of morons fecked off to Cheltenham and many thousands of people queued arse to tit in supermarkets panic buying.

It's a panicked reaction because people are taking it seriously. It's moronic but shows people are scared and spooked.

Are you watching lots of groups of people out and about that closely that you can see that's what happening?

How full have bars and restaurants been? Are we going on anecdotal evidence?

Like I said earlier, there are morons behaving stupidly and not taking it seriously. But the vast majority of the country is taking it very seriously. Anyone I know is spooked by it. I'm usually fairly casual about stuff and I'm taking it seriously. The government is most certainly taking it seriously.

Some people just want to feel superior to everyone else and want to stereotype the majority of the country as people who behave like a reckless minority. You're usually one of the best posters on here - I'm surprised you're engaging in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Uk's herd immunity sounds more like herd stupidity. Queen cancelled all appointments. Tells you everything.

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1238865934179340294?s=20

Plus we still have no idea of what the medium and long term consequences of this are. Here's a post I wrote a couple of years ago here in the beer forum:
    sabat wrote: »
    I'm not joking here, but were you sick or did anything happen to you around October? I picked up a horrifying tropical virus a couple of years ago that made me allergic to certain foods like blue cheese and mustard for a long time afterwards and a lot of food just tastes different now.

That time I was bedridden for over 2 weeks and the virus definitely hit my nervous system in some way-I could identify what foods were in my mouth but
    whatever connections go from tastebuds to brain to memory to telling you to eat something again because it tasted good, got damaged, and I just ate sandwiches and cereals every meal for a year afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

N. Ireland need to get onto the same page as us or we’re in more serious trouble.

What is the difference at the moment?

School closures? What else?

Schools will close up here, and probably very soon, but what other differences are there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Latvia is the latest country to announce the closure of it's borders to all foreigners from Monday.

Has Ireland done that yet ?

And if not, why not ?

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d sooner expect Leo to get it from Trump then vice versa.....

Jesus, this USA announcement is just massive..

Ireland need to stop flights to England
    Sounds drastic but I dont see the UK government having the cop on to do what's right.

They have made their decision on letting everyone get it on mass and it will blow up in their faces but Ireland will now suffer for their stupidity.

I'd argue if England had taken the measures Ireland have done so far the US might have not closed the doors on us so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I've been a Pharmacist for 6 years. Never in my life have I seen anything like this. I've banned more patients from the Pharmacy in these last 2 days than I have in the last six years. The abuse my staff and myself have gotten has been frightening.

I've had to adopt a one in one out policy to try and deal with this. Nobody wants you in the Pharmacy for longer than you have to be. But understand we're doing double, triple the volume we normally do on a day. I've worked 40 of the last 72 hours...

For God sake lads be sound to Pharmacy staff.

Fair play to you. Anyone who is behaving like you say is nothing but a c**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I actually think this isn't right on this occasion...DUP heavily hinting they thing schools should be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

sdanseo wrote: »
    Message the Jet2 pilots received. Source an aviation group I follow (not public) but backed up by FR24 info it appears genuine.

b16958c81ff5ff348c96afa067a283e7.png

It's cool that they have an RTE button for when they're flying and want to watch Fair City. My work gives us free fruit twice a week, which is cool but not as cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Sounds drastic but I dont see the UK government having the cop on to do what's right.

They have made their decision on letting everyone get it on mass and it will blow up in their faces but Ireland will now suffer for their stupidity.

I'd argue if England had taken the measures Ireland have done so far the US might have not closed the doors on us so soon.

I think the US have done what we should have done ourselves a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Relative of mine is one of the chiefs in a big car manufacturer in Germany.

Just off the phone to him and they're preparing for a 2 month lockdown in germany with little to no social interaction and permitted 1 walk a day outside of emergency and food journeys.

They've over 2k cases at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Everyone in the north is following the same procedures as Britain, there fore you would have to close the border as well. Not gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I'd argue if England had taken the measures Ireland have done so far the US might have not closed the doors on us.
    Doesn't really make much difference if the problem in Northern Ireland is as bad as it seems. Schools to remain open this week at this point. We don't have any control over what they do. This is where it becomes a real problem that basically an enemy alongside us dictates what goes on in this island. It would be a great way to exterminate us while they wipe themselves out as well. "U-Kamikaze", we can call them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Problem is, they'll still come in via Belfast.

I don't think we'll lock our border with NI down - firstly we don't have the manpower, secondly the chaos that might cause could be worse in the long-term than any virus :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement