Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What are the Italians doing wrong? There has to be something unique about Italy (aside from it's old population) that's making this blow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Could it be that CV was in Italy for weeks before they realised it and it got into nursing homes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Christ close us down to **** now while we are still under 100.

The Italy numbers send shudders up my spine each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It's a panicked reaction because people are taking it seriously. It's moronic but shows people are scared and spooked.

Are you watching lots of groups of people out and about that closely that you can see that's what happening?

How full have bars and restaurants been? Are we going on anecdotal evidence?

Like I said earlier, there are morons behaving stupidly and not taking it seriously. But the vast majority of the country is taking it very seriously. Anyone I know is spooked by it. I'm usually fairly casual about stuff and I'm taking it seriously. The government is most certainly taking it seriously.

Some people just want to feel superior to everyone else and want to stereotype the majority of the country as people who behave like a reckless minority. You're usually one of the best posters on here - I'm surprised you're engaging in it.

Have a look here

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

feargale wrote: »
    The doctors' knowledge of the virus is very limited, not to talk of prison governers. Prisons are not equipped to deal with this emergency. The people to be released are not murderers or drug-barons but minor offenders. They were not sentenced to death but to a term of imprisonment. Punishment for minor crimes is now considered subservient to the survival of humanity.
    But, I suppose, whatever floats your boat. Maybe you think that shoplifters and pickpockets should be executed anyway.
    Look at the bright side. As you now commit speeding or parking offences you are very unlikely to be copped as the Garda Siochana now have more important things to occupy them. But it is always open to you to go to your local garda station, confess the offence and ask to be prosecuted. Just to ensure that the crime doesn't go unpunished, like.

How do you know this?
    Bottom line is prisoners are being released due to Covid which doesn't sit very well with lots of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If not we need to. This is seriously crazy ****e.

It's like a Hollywood film just without the explosions and stuff.

It really has crept up on us but unfolded very, very quickly once it arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

cjmc wrote: »
    I take it everyone has seen the what's app message going around with a picture of a letter instructing all army personnel to report to barracks with packs for at least 3 days out.
    Fake or not?

It's real...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-defence-forces-personnel-told-to-report-to-barracks-1.4201172

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My parents are locked down in their place in Spain now, only allowed out to go to supermarket. My mother sent a video of the vans going past announcing to stay indoors in Spanish and English. I'm actually glad they are there rather than here, they've a nice outdoor bit with the house and the weather is nice right now and I feel like it will be dealt with better than here in Ireland, the hospitals nearby are great too. Viva Espana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What are the Italians doing wrong? There has to be something unique about Italy (aside from it's old population) that's making this blow up.

From my understanding at the start hospitals did not follow procedures with masks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

cjmc wrote: »
    I take it everyone has seen the what's app message going around with a picture of a letter instructing all army personnel to report to barracks with packs for at least 3 days out.

Yes that was in the media and the defence forces even tweeted about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

wakka12 wrote: »
    Wow 3500, thats roughly what all of China was reporting at the peak of the epidemic. Italy is now in a lot worse position than Wuhan

Yep, sad but expected as they started serious containment measures at a later stage of the epidemic than China did. It is now easy to predict that Spain will be in the same position as Italy is today in 5 to 10 days as they made the same mistake.

And many European countries are following the same path. The UK is having a late start but it is about to explode and will eventually be a total mess if they don’t change their strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Same in Supervalu. Not much point to it unless they are changing them after dealing with each customer. Contaminated gloves are the same as contaminated hands.

Not sure on this. They are wearing gloves to protect themselves and will have no actual physical contact with the customer. Not to protect the customers. So no need to change gloves. They are not planning to touch a customer only take payment. time after time. Put goods through that have been handled by customers; take payment in cash or card. and on to the next goods. I see your point in a way but if you carried this to extremes no one would buy anything as it might have been touched by other customers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Small news in the grand scheme of things but great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was against closing our borders on this island to all foreigners.

I have changed my mind. Situation increasingly out of control on the continent.

We could not handle proportionally a fraction of what is going on in Spain, France, Italy or Germany. (never mind our unstable next door neighbors)

Time for strict measures.

We are an island, that is our natural advantage and we are throwing that advantage away.

And close the fcuking pubs too. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Could it be that CV was in Italy for weeks before they realised it and it got into nursing homes ?

Quiet possibly, the numbers look horrific and they are but I think when we look back in a few months time things will be easy to put in perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As someone who was very, very sceptical of the merits of shutting the country down in previous threads: feck that, time to take action.

It's nice to read something positive for a change. If only for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Italy A beautiful country and a beautiful people.

Devastated for us all :(

They are indeed.....wonderful people, I like them a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

My parents are locked down in their place in Spain now, only allowed out to go to supermarket. My mother sent a video of the vans going past announcing to stay indoors in Spanish and English. I'm actually glad they are there rather than here, they've a nice outdoor bit with the house and the weather is nice right now and I feel like it will be dealt with better than here in Ireland, the hospitals nearby are great too. Viva Espana.
    We want to wait till the latest moment to do the obvious. Other countries got a hop on us re. Closing airports while we dither.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Question to any technical people (not speculators):

Is there any sampling of the general population going on to get a true sense of spread?

I’m just surprised that the HSE hasn’t popped up a friendly swab test unit at say the local supermarket car park and just ask people to come in voluntarily for a quick swab.

All they would need to gather is name and mobile number, most people would come forward if it comes back positive.

Just seems like we should have a picture that isn’t just based on triaging access to tests as we’re not getting any kind of information (publicly anyway) about how widespread this thing is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    But its not workiing in Italy, crazy numbers from there

These could be the numbers when the restrictions ARE working. They would likely be a lot, LOT worse without them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

We're all on the same trajectory, entering lockdown at an early stage appears the only way to prevent this kind of outcome. Italy essentially did nothing until their daily cases were in the thousands, some other countries like the UK may wind up following them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

We don't know this yet. We likely won't know for a couple of weeks.

But we can't simply sit here and do nothing, if that happens here on the same scale (likely less cases, but in comparative terms) we will not cope.

There are hard decisions that have to be made now so we can control this.

Not tomorrow or next week, we need to do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I don't want to be unkind but you really need to do some research and understand the situation before just blurting out the first thing you think. They went into lockdown Wed. Many people had the virus then. Many more are still getting it from family, neighbours, during their daily periods of release. Some people, who managed to stay healthy during the period prior to the lockdown, will hopefully remain healthy as a result (i.e. People who took it seriously, I'm not sure there were many in Italy at they're the case study in the west and had unprecedented numbers of people travelling through with it). We should see case numbers dropping off possibly in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It initially spread in a hospital in an area with a older and very vulnerable population. This happened 6 weeks ago and it had nearly a month to spread unchecked. Think about all of the people who left hospital, infected others, or flew to other countries.

The Western World has committed an atrocity as grave as "peace in our time" by failing to take heed of this and it's too late now to do anything other than mitigate.

What's good is that almost every country in Europe will be in lockdown by next week except the UK, and even they might balk under pressure. Sadly for us, we have a land border with UK, so we need Arlene to get off her high horse ASAP.

Anything that isn't a critical industry (food supply, pharmacy, medical, power, water, internet, communications, Army, Garda & Fire) needs to be closed NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My head understands that it will probably be at least another 10 days before we see any improvement from the lockdown in Italy but it's still such an utter gut punch to see them continue to just rocket up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was against closing our borders on this island to all foreigners.

I have changed my mind. Situation increasingly out of control on the continent.

We could not handle proportionally a fraction of what is going on in Spain, France, Italy or Germany.

Time for strict measures.

We are an island, that is our natural advantage and we are throwing that advantage away.

And close the fcuking pubs too. :(

Yes, the situation has rapidly escalated.

I wouldn't be as fixated on the airport numbers.....travel must be massively down.

I would close the pubs immediately though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tiddles_1 wrote: »
    yeah that is extremely high I was more talking about Masks things like that the Manufacturers and suppliers have hiked up the prices and passed this onto pharmacies. To answer the question before this happened a 500ml bottle of Isopropyl alcohol 99% cost about €10 for a pharmacy to buy in that would mean full mark up and retail price was about €18.45 for 500ml
    Oh I appreciate that, RE masks etc.
    So back to my price quoted yday.
    So 1.50 for the bottles plus 3/5th of 10 euro...so 8/9 euro and they are charging 28 euro...does that not classify as price gouging to you?

I know hickeys were charging 8 euro for small hand sanitizer, but it was a high grade one used in hospitals and is incredibly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Is there a press conference shorty from our government ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement