Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

neris wrote: »
    If youve been paying attention to the scheme that the incompetent minister tried to ram through this week you,ll know they dont have any plans or ideas of how they will get creches to reopen in June & to who. The creches are waiting for guidelines and instruction from the dept before they have to figure it out themselves and plan. If you think a creche is going to reopen to a load of kids at one time your deluded and I think it,ll be a long time before children will be doing the same times and days as before.

Also the creche operators know about as much as parents as everything is released in the media and creches arent getting information thats not available to parents. So if your creche arent updating you it more then likely means theres nothing to update

This is 100% correct. No communication with creches to advise anything re reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Anyone getting alittle angry at the zero risk approach to opening back up or is that just me?

Also with reduced numbers no creche will be able to take on new children. Where does that leave people? Potentially driving them out of the work force?

Zero risk is a dangerous goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jon1981 wrote: »
    Anyone getting alittle angry at the zero risk approach to opening back up or is that just me?

Also with reduced numbers no creche will be able to take on new children. Where does that leave people? Potentially driving them out of the work force?

Zero risk is a dangerous goal.

Not sure how you think it’s zero risk, if they open it won’t be at zero risk,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure how you think it’s zero risk, if they open it won’t be at zero risk,

The concern is the rules to reopening are so strict that it severely reduces numbers of creche places available. The industry is under enough pressure as it is.
    Daragh O'Connor of SIPTU warned that reducing the capacity of childcare providers without additional funding would threaten the future of the sector.

He said: "If there's a reduced capacity, which there will be, how do you allocate how can people apply to avail of it?

"The financial model that creches and pre-schools have goes out the window. It's completely unsustainable financially."

Mr O'Connor added that the sector's staffing crisis will not have disappeared.

He said: "We have a staff turnover rate of 40% on average in full day services.

"It's over 90% for some other services as well. So that presents a huge challenge."

jon1981 wrote: »
    The concern is the rules to reopening are so strict that it severely reduces numbers of creche places available. The industry is under enough pressure as it is.
    Daragh O'Connor of SIPTU warned that reducing the capacity of childcare providers without additional funding would threaten the future of the sector.

He said: "If there's a reduced capacity, which there will be, how do you allocate how can people apply to avail of it?

"The financial model that creches and pre-schools have goes out the window. It's completely unsustainable financially."

Mr O'Connor added that the sector's staffing crisis will not have disappeared.

He said: "We have a staff turnover rate of 40% on average in full day services.

"It's over 90% for some other services as well. So that presents a huge challenge."

Absolutely the industry is under massive pressure but they can’t just open their doors in a few weeks time and have everyone back. They like every other industry are going to have to do risk control and it’s tougher for them than most because of the nature of the business. I’m not sure what you expect your first post suggested it’s too much and your second talks about the pressure they and I presume by extension parents are under. If they open and there is a couple of outbreaks in crèches in the early days it will be shut down again leaving everyone worse off especially parents who might just have got working again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Delete. Probably off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Is it not next to useless to open a creche or a school gradually? It should be either full time or nothing? I don't know about anyone else but my job doesn't exactly mean I can swan in on a Monday or a Friday and still get paid!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We got a survey via text from our creche asking where we coming back etc. when they open.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

We got an email last week, asking when we want to send our children back to Creche. They are going to collate all the information and see what they can do for people. We have also had a few zoom calls with the creche and the children's friends to mark a few birthdays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

With increased working from home I wonder will creches ever see the same level of demand again. I can see demand for 2 ecce shifts per day maybe but I reckon there will be a drop off in demand for full time hours.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    With increased working from home I wonder will creches ever see the same level of demand again. I can see demand for 2 ecce shifts per day maybe but I reckon there will be a drop off in demand for full time hours.

Things might change but I don’t think many will have kids at home full time whilst they work from home. I know a few people who do days at home every week and drop the kids in to crèche. One mate was saying it’s a nightmare at the moment trying to work and keep kids happy. After school care might be different with older kids but they usually go full time during the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

We couldn't work from home with the kids. Absolute no brainer to send them back into crèche, whenever the open again.

Try to keep it normal for them, there's no benefit to young children being at home with two parents trying to go about their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Not if people still have jobs. Anyone working will still require childcare. I would wonder if we will see more people using child minders though V's creche

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Posted this elsewhere....found this to be an incredibly common sense approach.

https://rollercoaster.ie/childcare/this-is-how-creches-may-work-once-they-reopen/?fbclid=IwAR2pNqtWBCaWoJebPfQm443VfrHnxqlLK3xchETk_qUCMbEKzm_GHYEm8e4

Now obviously it may not all work for all creches, and may require tweaks when up and running, but I thought it was a very good practical start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jrosen wrote: »
    Not if people still have jobs. Anyone working will still require childcare. I would wonder if we will see more people using child minders though V's creche

We are keeping 2 full time jobs going and looking after the 2 kids and are all doing ok. We have flexibility in our timing whereby she works and I mind and then vice versa. It is not ideal but when all this is over school will be there and ecce so we can easily make up.the difference then without working until 8 or 9pm. Saving commuting time, lunch breaks etc. Actually getting more work done as my phone is not constantly ringing or people popping over to my desk.
    Outside of school we will probably get a childminder for 2-3 hours a day.

Wife just got told that working from home is now a permanent option

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Will be interesting to see if Gov changes approach: Plan to reopen economy will fail if childcare not taken seriously

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly they would want to start thinking pretty damn fast....I already know of 2 sets of parents that have involved grandparents in the last week out of complete desperation.This problem is only going to get bigger.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if Gov changes approach: Plan to reopen economy will fail if childcare not taken seriously

They need to totally scrap the current system,

It doesn't benefit parents due to costs and child care staff get screwed on pay and working conditions.

Now is the chance to bring it under department of education, overhaul the entire system for the benefit of workers and parents.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Now is the chance to bring it under department of education, overhaul the entire system for the benefit of workers and parents.

The government cannot provide anything efficiently. It would end up costing twice as much if you put it under the DOE.

Not the DOE.Definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cabaal wrote: »
    They need to totally scrap the current system,

It doesn't benefit parents due to costs and child care staff get screwed on pay and working conditions.

and the providers get shafted having to pay sky high rents, rates and other costs which have to passed onto the parents and thats why the costs are so high and staff underpaid.

another thing the govt havent clarified is after June who is going to be paying for the childcare. If creches open to heavily reduced numbers theres no point in them opening and charging parents as tey wont cover costs or wages so the govt have to step in and make it viable for both parents and providers

and the providers get shafted having to pay sky high rents, rates and other costs which have to passed onto the parents and thats why the costs are so high and staff underpaid.

another thing the govt havent clarified is after June who is going to be paying for the childcare. If creches open to heavily reduced numbers theres no point in them opening and charging parents as tey wont cover costs or wages so the govt have to step in and make it viable for both parents and providers

Zappones latest announcement seemed nonsensical, Lower numbers kids with The same staff member all day kids taken from the car by the staff member who is already apparently with other children. She hasn’t helped at all and seems to just announce whatever comes to her.

At this point I think the whole lot of them....teachers, the Dept of Education, Dept of Social Protection, childcare providers and all associated...would all do better to direct their energies into solving the problems, rather than making and contradicting media statements, for a few weeks.The amount of conflicting information out in the last week around children and schools is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

shesty wrote: »
    At this point I think the whole lot of them....teachers, the Dept of Education, Dept of Social Protection, childcare providers and all associated...would all do better to direct their energies into solving the problems, rather than making and contradicting media statements, for a few weeks.The amount of conflicting information out in the last week around children and schools is unreal.

Childcare providers have to contradict statements that are put in the media by Zappone and her cronies. Zappone has tried ramming schemes through without discussion or even listening to provider concerns while telling the media in a Hitler like way that what she says her plans are the childcare providers will do.

Childcare providers have to contradict statements that are put in the media by Zappone and her cronies. Zappone has tried ramming schemes through without discussion or even listening to provider concerns while telling the media in a Hitler like way that what she says her plans are the childcare providers will do.
    This is a huge problem yet again she has made a pronouncement on how something is going to work without asking the people involved if it’s workable. It would be laughable if it wasn’t such a serious subject.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I am very concerned about some of the things I'm hearing, split school days (how will that work with creche), reduced numbers in creche, who decides what families lose their spot. We are currently are paying one of the staff members from our creche to mind our children in the house while we work. We couldn't keep going the way we were, so far so good, not sure what we will do when she goes back to work, but that is another days problem.

pc7 wrote: »
    I am very concerned about some of the things I'm hearing, split school days (how will that work with creche), reduced numbers in creche, who decides what families lose their spot. We are currently are paying one of the staff members from our creche to mind our children in the house while we work. We couldn't keep going the way we were, so far so good, not sure what we will do when she goes back to work, but that is another days problem.

Crèches are probably going to have to reduce numbers under current proposals and I’d say after school care will be first gone, then the higher ratio stuff which I think is U2’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

salmocab wrote: »
    Crèches are probably going to have to reduce numbers under current proposals and I’d say after school care will be first gone, then the higher ratio stuff which I think is U2’s.

And what will they expect parents of kids under 2 do?

They need to ask the creches what is actually feasible and then max out the hygiene but it maybe that they run as previously with additional realistic procedures otherwise like the restaurants they will open for a while and shut due to income levels.

Zappone needs to go away, no just no.

Additional to all of this is the young kids mental state, we are looking as segregating them into "pods" etc. This is not going to end well in the future socially.

To add to the dislike of the idea split school days, I don't like the sound of "continued online learning" which is supposed to exist alongside that. Who is going to do that?? Is the teacher going to teach and manage online learning? How on earth can a teacher do that.Are the parents going to have to continue homeschooling? How can we homeschool to a sufficient extent that a child keeps up with a full school day's worth of work every other day or week, in order to keep them all up to date, and keep working ourselves? It is beyond impractical.

We are making an awful meal out of this. There is a degree of risk involved in bringing kids together no matter what, but all we can do is manage the risk, we cannot eliminate it. Turning ourselves over backwards and inside out to try and completely prevent this virus from existing at childcare and school levels is going to cause more harm than good at the rate we are going.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    To add to the dislike of the idea split school days, I don't like the sound of "continued online learning" which is supposed to exist alongside that. Who is going to do that?? Is the teacher going to teach and manage online learning? How on earth can a teacher do that.Are the parents going to have to continue homeschooling? How can we homeschool to a sufficient extent that a child keeps up with a full school day's worth of work every other day or week, in order to keep them all up to date, and keep working ourselves? It is beyond impractical.

I have a child in Junior Infants, they receive one email a week with work, that is it. No video, online learning etc (not that I'm sure it would work for that age). They really rebel against doing any work for me and I can't blame them, I am not a teacher. Its a real worry about how they will catch up, we are trying our best, but we both work.

Advertisement