Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

TM2015 wrote: »
    No idea what’s gonna happen with the after school. We have him down for 5 days but if the schools are doing alternate days, or whatever else they come up with, I don’t know how it’s all gonna work out.

This is a concern for me too, we are also down for an afterschool and we haven't heard from them yet but I don't expect to since it's so unclear what will happen in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dobbit wrote: »
    This is a concern for me too, we are also down for an afterschool and we haven't heard from them yet but I don't expect to since it's so unclear what will happen in September.

Currently over 6s have to social distance which is nonsense obviously so I think crèches are waiting for further information on this as this isn’t practical.
    Personally I think at this stage schools will be open as normal with just some extra rules regards hygiene etc, if that happens then crèches will be able to take those kids under similar rules.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our kid is starting June 29th. No takeup for essential workers apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've a 4 year old starting School in Sept also, as well as a 2 year old - both in same crèche.

On Monday 29 June when I drop them off they'll be lucky if I stop the car.

Same gap here, 4 year old is starting school in September too. I'm in England, mine have been back at nursery since 1 June and tbh it's working out really well. They need the structure of routine, to see other kids and to be out of the house for a bit. They're sleeping better and behaving better in the two and a half weeks they have been back. I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Same gap here, 4 year old is starting school in September too. I'm in England, mine have been back at nursery since 1 June and tbh it's working out really well. They need the structure of routine, to see other kids and to be out of the house for a bit. They're sleeping better and behaving better in the two and a half weeks they have been back. I can't complain.

My 4 year old is really missing the routine/structure of crèche - first few months were grand but now last month he's been acting up a lot. We're just struggling trying to balance work etc. so it's a real challenge and he's been getting his own way due to that. Cannot wait for 29 June...

Once he's back 1-2 weeks I plan to take him out for day and spend some one-on-one time with him, can't do that at present with 2 year old sister and think he'll benefit a lot from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Our two are back from the 29th. Initially on half days only until the 13th July to ease them back in then full days if needed. They have confirmed that the pro-rata amount due back for the days lost in March will be deducted from future bills. Im going to be WFH for the foreseeable anyway but getting them back into a proper routine and mixing with other kids will do them the power of good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Our 4 year old is missing her preschool so much.It is such a hard age, they know enough to know things are very wrong but they are too small to really get it.They really need their friends and their routine.Ours will be back with her childminder in a couple of weeks.We got a text from the preschool saying they have changes to make to fall in line with new regulations, and want to keep us up to date.I am waiting to see what comes out of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

They have confirmed that the pro-rata amount due back for the days lost in March will be deducted from future bills.

That's good of your crèche to be acting fair like that. From the communication we have had from ours, that March payment is dust in the wind since they decided that they would pay their staff in full for all of March with said money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We just got our new procedures. Honestly it’s stark reading. I hope my child never gets sick while there, PPE, isolation room, 2m distance etc. I cannot understand how this is the kind of thing creche have to do (indoor shoes in creche only, no entry for parents, pods etc) and then the schools are being proposed to just open with classes of 30+

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

We just got our new procedures. Honestly it’s stark reading. I hope my child never gets sick while there, PPE, isolation room, 2m distance etc. I cannot understand how this is the kind of thing creche have to do (indoor shoes in creche only, no entry for parents, pods etc) and then the schools are being proposed to just open with classes of 30+

Because that gob****e Zappone and her bunch of idiots in the DCYA dont give a toss about the creches or children. Its all PR bluff & spin to make herself look good but in reality its going to be a nightmare for providers, children and parents. Good luck to any parent whos child is starting new in a creche in the next few weeks because it,ll be a handover at the door and see you later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

sphinxicus wrote: »
    That's good of your crèche to be acting fair like that. From the communication we have had from ours, that March payment is dust in the wind since they decided that they would pay their staff in full for all of March with said money.

Same as ours. A few weeks ago we asked to delay our child's return until September as my wife is temporarily laid off until then. Nope, they expect full fees from June 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ours is opening for two hours a day.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ours is opening for two hours a day.

Is that to let kids settle back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are back aswell on 29th June. Think we have gotten about 8 documents from creche at this stage.

The amount of rules + regulations are unreal. It's mad the requirements been put on creche. Indoir shoes, no snacks from home etc. One of my friends asked me was I worried about him health wise going back? After reading the documents + all guidelines they have to follow Id say its safer than anywhere else!

Our creche opening for half day, first week a bit more 2nd week all going well etc. Im happy with that as we all need to adjust. I'll probably get more work done anyway in that half day then I would in full day with him at home!

Our creche has said there will be some reduction in fees for this period so we will see what that amounts to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pc7 wrote: »
    Is that to let kids settle back?

It seems so

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

We’ve been told if child has temperature of 38 degrees for any reason will be sent home for 14 days. Is this going to be standard in crèches does anyone know? At the rate they pick up bugs in crèche it looks like we can look forward to being at home a lot more even when the place opens. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Toastytoes wrote: »
    We’ve been told if child has temperature of 38 degrees for any reason will be sent home for 14 days. Is this going to be standard in crèches does anyone know? At the rate they pick up bugs in crèche it looks like we can look forward to being at home a lot more even when the place opens. Thanks.

There will be a lot of parents looking for covid test if this becomes the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

neris wrote: »
    Because that gob****e Zappone and her bunch of idiots in the DCYA dont give a toss about the creches or children. Its all PR bluff & spin to make herself look good but in reality its going to be a nightmare for providers, children and parents. Good luck to any parent whos child is starting new in a creche in the next few weeks because it,ll be a handover at the door and see you later

Thankfully she will be heading off into the sunset once the coalition deal is confirmed. Pity she will take a ministerial and TD pension with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

bluefinger wrote: »
    There will be a lot of parents looking for covid test if this becomes the norm.

We might be looking for a new crèche if it transpires to be unique to ours. It’s excessive unless it is across the board and in the guidance from govt. Expecting to be paid full fees and sending kids home for 14 days at a time for just a temperature is a bit much. You wouldn’t even be referred for a covid test if you went to the doctor with just a fever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thankfully she will be heading off into the sunset once the coalition deal is confirmed. Pity she will take a ministerial and TD pension with her.

Never fear. You can attack her replacement with the same venom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

spurious wrote: »
    Never fear. You can attack her replacement with the same venom.

Venom? Seriously? Assuming her successor doesn’t land us with even more ‘bearded children’ I doubt I’ll have much of an issue with whoever it turns out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Our creche told us 24hrs for temp over 38

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That’s absurd and complete overkill. Mine are not doing that.

Sure kids will never be in creche at that rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We’ve been told they have to be certified COVID free by a doctor? My lad would have had to be COVID rested 11 times last winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Both those requests are crazy. I'm not sure you'd get many kids willing to get tested more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The guidelines are 38 and over home for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

scarepanda wrote: »
    Both those requests are crazy. I'm not sure you'd get many kids willing to get tested more than once.

You might catch them unawares the first time but as I hear it is so unpleasant they won't be caught twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

cornflake1 wrote: »
    You might catch them unawares the first time but as I hear it is so unpleasant they won't be caught twice...

ya exactly. I had the flu swab taken last year and it was horrible, felt like they were about to stick the swab up into my brain :eek: not a hope of you getting most kids to do it more than once, especially creche/preschool ages anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They mjght well find that if they enforce that 14 day thing strongly they will have a lot of time where they have staff in, but no kids.....it may become economically unviable then to keep having staff in on days when numbers are low, and they have nothing to do.If they operate on tight margins, it might force them to change that.

Advertisement