Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

shesty wrote:
    They mjght well find that if they enforce that 14 day thing strongly they will have a lot of time where they have staff in, but no kids.....it may become economically unviable then to keep having staff in on days when numbers are low, and they have nothing to do.If they operate on tight margins, it might force them to change that.

Parents still pay. You might find it is not economically viable for the parents to continue to use creches given the alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I think we are going to have to keep a load of annual leave for staying home with sick children.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

fits wrote: »
    Yeah I think we are going to have to keep a load of annual leave for staying home with sick children.

Me too, I suppose no foreign holidays means I will have loads of leave to keep for this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We’ve been told they have to be certified COVID free by a doctor? My lad would have had to be COVID rested 11 times last winter....

Which your local GP can't really do, which means they'd have to refer the child for a test and each test takes 3-4 days for a result.

Your creche is taking the piss

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shesty wrote: »
    They mjght well find that if they enforce that 14 day thing strongly they will have a lot of time where they have staff in, but no kids.....it may become economically unviable then to keep having staff in on days when numbers are low, and they have nothing to do.If they operate on tight margins, it might force them to change that.

Creche will likely send staff home in that situation and not pay them, but at same time be happy to take the money from parents.

Win, win for the owners really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 red one

Toastytoes wrote: »
    We’ve been told if child has temperature of 38 degrees for any reason will be sent home for 14 days. Is this going to be standard in crèches does anyone know? At the rate they pick up bugs in crèche it looks like we can look forward to being at home a lot more even when the place opens. Thanks.
    Ours is the same. Child out for 14 days if they have any symptoms of a cold or flu and have to get a doctor's letter to certify that they are well enough to go back to creche.
    I think my child will rarely be in creche at the rate he gets colds over the winter.
    Also the day is shorter but we are being charged full fees

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

red one wrote: »
    Ours is the same. Child out for 14 days if they have any symptoms of a cold or flu and have to get a doctor's letter to certify that they are well enough to go back to creche.
    I think my child will rarely be in creche at the rate he gets colds over the winter.
    Also the day is shorter but we are being charged full fees

My lad is like a stove after running round the playground non-stop. If they test him on the way in from the playground he could be in the "danger zone". Going on the number of times our crèche have needlessly sent him home in the past, they will be all over this at every opportunity to send kids + staff home and pocket our fees.

Personally I'm of the opinion that this policy is more of a tick box exercise to show that they are mitigating risk. The reality is that there will be many false positives by using temperature as a catch-all nevermind the fact that people can have COVID-19 and be asymptomatic, i.e. no temperature.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Cabaal wrote: »
    Creche will likely send staff home in that situation and not pay them, but at same time be happy to take the money from parents.

Win, win for the owners really.

Sorry, I know parents still pay but it may be that if a creche finds itself with 3 staff in a room and 4 kids on a regular basis over the months, it may force them to reduce the 14 day criteria.They can let staff go, sure, but then what happens 2 weeks later when the numbers increase again and they need the staff back for the ratio to be correct?It would be more hassle than it is worth trying to do that balancing act all winter.I expect like many things in life, once this all starts being put into practice, the wrinkles will start to be ironed out.The effectiveness of paper processes only show up when they are put into practice, really.For what it's worth though, I do think that 14 day criteria is ridiculous for small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

FWIW my understanding is the two week thing was the initial advice they were given and that was changed (along with most of the advice) to the 24 hrs. It might be worth querying this as to be fair to crèches they’ve been given so much information that they may have their own wires crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I queried this with my creche and they thought 14 days was outrageous. 72 hours at most depends on symptoms they said, as a lot of temps between 6 months and 2 years are teething related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Minier81 wrote: »
    Me too, I suppose no foreign holidays means I will have loads of leave to keep for this.

We’ve been working from home with a toddler and no childcare since March so we definitely don’t have loads of leave left for this. We’ve been taking annual leave just to survive till the crèche reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

salmocab wrote: »
    FWIW my understanding is the two week thing was the initial advice they were given and that was changed (along with most of the advice) to the 24 hrs. It might be worth querying this as to be fair to crèches they’ve been given so much information that they may have their own wires crossed.

Is there somewhere to view the guidance that has been issued to crèches? I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they had it wrong, the management there is just so poor and unprofessional. Being sent home for 14 days is ridiculous when they regularly pick up bugs in the crèche itself. Expecting to send a child home for 14 days while collecting full fees (on top of retaining the full fee for March) is just taking the pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Has anyone’s child started back today ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ours is starting at 1. Didnt want her straight back in full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Mine went in at 9.30 and is being collected at 3. No tears but I think he was too confused to react.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Trial today. Went better than expected. A few tears, some fears, but bubbles and her main carer sorted things out. Home now and knackered on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep + he jumped around the place dying to go back! No arguments today about getting dressed.

He is very outgoing so has missed all his friends.

He is on half days for the werk to settle him back in.

The 14 day rule seems over the top. Ours is consult a GP if symptoms like covid + then I think its 48hrs for temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yes 6yo and 2yo back in full(ish) time, creche now opens 8-5 instead of 7.30-6.
    6yo was delighted going in, really missed her friends so happy to see them again.
    2yo was very clingy and it took some coaxing to get him in the door.
    The staff were brilliant, the new procedure for drop off and pick up is to call the room and they come out but this morning someone from each room was waiting in the car park to welcome them back.

Creche closing was tough for us work wise but once we got a routine going it was great having so much time with them. Reopening today is also tough for different reasons but I'm guessing/hoping by next week everything will be back to mostly normal. I think we will appreciate the time we have with them even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Mine started again today as a trial, in a 11 and will be back around 2pm. 22 months old.

There were a few tears going in but the creche called a few mins later to say he was fine.

Working from home with a 18-22 month old has been difficult, very difficult, thought i'd be glad of the time to get some work done but missing the little fella, the house it so quite without him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

My 22 month old started back this morning. She had a great few hours and there were more tears from us than her!
    It will be half days for this week and full time next week.
    The house is so quiet without her. Even though the few months were tough trying to balance work and childcare, we will miss the extra time we had with her.

I'd say it would be tough alright with younger age group. We are lucky our son just turned 4 so we can explain it all to him.

I know what you mean about quietness though. I can hear the clock ticking didnt even realise it did that! The plus side is getting huge amount of work donr this morning with no interruptions so will actually have more time to spend with him then later when he is home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yep both back, in no bother. Talking to one of the other dads and his delight was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Yeah 3yo back today, creche working on reduced hours. Let's see how long can we keep her bugs free, my guess is not long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

salmocab wrote: »
    Yep both back, in no bother. Talking to one of the other dads and his delight was hilarious.

Yeah, two mothers at our creche asking us did we want to go for coffee, they were delighted. I passed, I don't think too many were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yes dropped our 4 and 2 year olds in this morning at 8.30, collecting them at 3.

4 year old was thrilled and very excited.

2 year old clung on a bit and was quiet which was to be expected.

I'm delighted they're back in from a work perspective - we both work 5 days a week.

They both took it so well I feel quite guilty now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lot of places opening today with hugely reduced capacity or not opening at all

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Ours opened today, our almost 2yo went in a bit shy but no tears. Happy to see her little buddies. It is on reduced hours for now, hoping to be back to normal hours by the end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My 13 month old was back in today. Just for 2 hours to start, 3 hours tomorrow & then whatever suits us in the new opening times (7.30am - 4.30pm). He was a bit upset going in & as soon as he saw me collecting. Think it was partially down to being tired as we had to wake him up to be on time this morning. He does really like the carers in his room though so hoping he'll settle in again as quick as when he originally started. In fairness though he was only in the creche 10 weeks when all this happened so has been off longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Back in yesterday, full time. She'd absolutely no problem going back in, and basically told us to go home :) The baby, just turned one, is starting next week for a few hours a day firstly.

Great set up at the creche, allotted times in am and need to call when collecting. Meeting you at the gates to take and send the kids home.

Advertisement