Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Mine (4 and 2) were tested at the weekend and had both nose and throat done so it must depend on who’s doing it / where it’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Have people's creches been in touch with them to let them know what the arrangements are for next week with the schools now closed until the 11th of January (at the earliest?) Ours have told us that ECCE scheme will not restarted until the 11th, that other full time kids can come back but it will be for full day fees (like in the summer) and for afterschool kids you still have to pay their fees even if they are not coming in... seems like the same stances as back in March before the first lockdown. WIll be surprised in the schools reopen on the 11th to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Mine said ECCE is back on 6th. My kids are in after school and can go in for a full day on Monday and Tuesday and afternoons after that (due to ECCE).

There was no talk of additional fees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My son (ecce) isn’t back till the 11th January. It’s a standalone Montesorri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Just so everyone is aware. Your provider is still being paid the ecce hours regardless of the fact they are closed and your child can not avail of them. I would be questioning why any crèche is looking for more money when they are being paid by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

RTE have reported that Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth Roderic O'Gorman, has announced that the resumption of the ECCE pre-school programme will be postponed until 11 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yes all part time Ecce closed until 11th.

Our creche will be open next week but I'm lucky that will be wfh so not going to send him in next week.

The numbers have gone absolute crazy now there is no way in their right mind they can reopen schools on 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

appledrop wrote: »
    Yes all part time Ecce closed until 11th.

Our creche will be open next week but I'm lucky that will be wfh so not going to send him in next week.

The numbers have gone absolute crazy now there is no way in their right mind they can reopen schools on 11th.

Staffing is going to be an issue next week for many places. With numbers rocketing there are going to be plenty of people contacted and told to quarantine this will make staffing very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Our Creche contacted us to say they won’t be reopening until the 11th to align with the schools. No mention of payment etc

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote:
    Called it. For shame all you doubters the other night

Looks like the government have changed guidance at the last minute. It now seems creches will only be open for children of essential workers

dubrov wrote: »
    Looks like the government have changed guidance at the last minute. It now seems creches will only be open for children of essential workers

But who’s essential? Parents can say they are, indeed my company claim I am but I definitely aren’t. Crèches won’t necessarily know what the parents do or if both are essential or just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Our creche has decided to reduce their opening hours for January - 0830 to 1700. Since they reopened they did have reduced hours of 0800 to 1730. Their pre-Covid hours were 0715 to 1800.

And despite reducing their opening hours now by 2.25 hours a day we are still being charged the same amount.

I wouldn't mind the money so much, it's just that the hours of 0830 to 1700 are difficult for us as we both work standard office hours.

Anyone encountering similar issues?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Our creche has decided to reduce their opening hours for January - 0830 to 1700. Since they reopened they did have reduced hours of 0800 to 1730. Their pre-Covid hours were 0715 to 1800.

And despite reducing their opening hours now by 2.25 hours a day we are still being charged the same amount.

I wouldn't mind the money so much, it's just that the hours of 0830 to 1700 are difficult for us as we both work standard office hours.

Anyone encountering similar issues?

Many creches have reduced hours but haven't reduced their prices. They are claiming its offset by the cost of PPE etc.

faceman wrote: »
    Many creches have reduced hours put haven't reduced their prices. They are claiming its offset by the cost of PPE etc.

Staffing levels haven’t reduced and are often now higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

So crèches are for essential workers now but it seems everyone is an essential worker according to the list provided.

Nothing yet mentioned about payment if kids are kept at home?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

baldbear wrote: »
    So crèches are for essential workers now but it seems everyone is an essential worker according to the list provided.

Nothing yet mentioned about payment if kids are kept at home?

Whats the list? any link?
    EDIT: Nevermind, found it
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

Is there anything not on that list?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dubrov wrote: »
    Is there anything not on that list?

Social influencers :p

Seriously though, given what we know about very young kids and the virus, there is minimal risk with creches being open for all. Not having creche access for some families means some people cant work.

The same would go for schools but class sizes are too big in ireland

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We kept ours home from creche this week just due to the numbers, but heard from some that everyone else is in. Would ideally just struggle through next week with them here while we wfh but would like to send them back 18th (hoping chrstmas surge will have passed). We've paid in full for the month so its a bit of a sickner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Social influencers :p

No, social influencers would be covered under Information and Communications.
    The following services relating to information and communications:
    The production of television and radio programmes, video, sound, digital or
    other electronic content and the broadcast or publication of the same to the
    public or a portion of the public

Effects wrote: »
    No, social influencers would be covered under Information and Communications.

We are doomed as a species

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Really hoping our creche stays open, the first lockdown was incredibly stressful trying to look after our 2yo and wfh. I'm actually getting anxious just thinking about, might have to take annual leave which means no holiday later in the year. I am an essential worker according to the list(Like nearly everyone) so maybe it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

pc7 wrote: »
    We kept ours home from creche this week just due to the numbers, but heard from some that everyone else is in. Would ideally just struggle through next week with them here while we wfh but would like to send them back 18th (hoping chrstmas surge will have passed). We've paid in full for the month so its a bit of a sickner.

Thats our plan aswell all going well. He actually loves creche and looking forward to going back but no way he is going back before then.

That new strain is in 25% of cases now and definitely big increase among kids in schools and creche just before we closed for Christmas.

Hopefully by 18th everyone has seriously reduced their contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Essential workers at Level 5
    From Department of the Taoiseach

Published on 6 January 2021

Last updated on 6 January 2021

This page is currently being updated

Looks like the government are making me non essential :)

appledrop wrote: »
    Thats our plan aswell all going well. He actually loves creche and looking forward to going back but no way he is going back before then.

That new strain is in 25% of cases now and definitely big increase among kids in schools and creche just before we closed for Christmas.

Hopefully by 18th everyone has seriously reduced their contacts.

Sadly this is the point people are missing. I’m hearing of plenty of people claiming they’re essential workers when they’re not. People aren’t getting that the virus is out of control, hospital system on the verge of collapse. Kids won’t get it but will bring it home. Who wants to risk getting sick during a time the health service is going to collapse giving sub standard care to people

We are in a dangerous new period with the virus. Up to now I wouldn’t have been concerned but that has changed now

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Sadly this is the point people are missing. I’m hearing of plenty of people claiming they’re essential workers when they’re not. People aren’t getting that the virus is out of control, hospital system on the verge of collapse. Kids won’t get it but will bring it home. Who wants to risk getting sick during a time the health service is going to collapse giving sub standard care to people

We are in a dangerous new period with the virus. Up to now I wouldn’t have been concerned but that has changed now

Ya both myself and my husband are working from home (me full time, him part time home, part time on site). We could both be considered essential workers but we have no intention of sending them to creche. It’s going to be tough over the next few weeks but we’ll manage with early starts / late finishes / weekend catch ups. Tbh I probably wasn’t going to send them for the next few weeks even if yesterday’s announcement hadn’t happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Shops like mr price still open never closed in March I would say all construction work is essential to someone, should be a complete shutdown for 3 weeks for everything and 1 person from each house left in to a shop for food only.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

Is there any word from the government as to if the same funding is to be given to the creches again as was in March? Or are parent expected to pay for no use? Last time round our creche took full fees for march without asking even after the offer from the government to pay staff wages. Eventualy they signed up for the system to accept the offer but we never saw a refund for the remainder of March that they could have been paid for. They did buy some lovely christmas decorations this year though :p

We have had an email from them stating that they and staff are afraid to open but will do for essential "frontline" workers. They havent opened at all in 2021 yet. They have said that the first week will be refunded as that was their choice to stay shut. No mention on refunds for the remainder of January yet. We have had to arrange unpaid leave to look after our kids now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

sphinxicus wrote: »
    Is there any word from the government as to if the same funding is to be given to the creches again as was in March? Or are parent expected to pay for no use? Last time round our creche took full fees for march without asking even after the offer from the government to pay staff wages. Eventualy they signed up for the system to accept the offer but we never saw a refund for the remainder of March that they could have been paid for. They did buy some lovely christmas decorations this year though :p

We have had an email from them stating that they and staff are afraid to open but will do for essential "frontline" workers. They havent opened at all in 2012 yet. They have said that the first week will be refunded as that was their choice to stay shut. No mention on refunds for the remainder of January yet. We have had to arrange unpaid leave to look after our kids now.

Ours has been open since the 4th, they will remain open for essential workers otherwise if you can't/won't send your kids in from Monday 11th then you just need to pay for the 1st week in Jan which is fair enough. They were open for business whether you sent your kids or not.

Advertisement