Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I rang our crèche & said we were going to send them back in February. I was caught on the hop as they asked were we essential & they are only taking essential workers back.

We work in financial services but both can work remotely.

Feb fees due out last day this month & still haven't received anything in writing about refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

baldbear wrote: »
    I rang our crèche & said we were going to send them back in February. I was caught on the hop as they asked were we essential & they are only taking essential workers back.

We work in financial services but both can work remotely.

Feb fees due out last day this month & still haven't received anything in writing about refunds.

Are your children going to go back ? what did they say to your essential status ?

I'm in same situations I hear of so many children still in creche wondering if I'm the only ejit keeping them at home
    The creche sent out a text yesterday similar to what we got when closed for Jan asking to notify them if you are essential and will be requiring a place.

looking at gov.ie see they have this listed as essential ... financial, insurance and banking services (including post office and credit union services) provided by a financial services provider
    So believe the creche could take the children as I am classified as 'essential' however I do not think I'm contributing to keeping country going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

This thread on Roderic O'Gorman's Twitter account might be of interest - https://twitter.com/rodericogorman/status/1354398501543817222

Press release - https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9b9d8-minister-announces-new-funding-arrangements-to-support-delivery-of-early-learning-and-childcare-during-extended-level-5-restrictions/

"“We want to ensure services can remain open, even at very low levels of occupancy, so that they can be available to children and families who need them at this time, whether this be to protect vulnerable children or to enable parents to work in an essential service. We also want to ensure parents aren’t charged when they do not use a service."

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happihat

I'm in the same boat, thinking of waiting a week or two to see how numbers are. Creche are opening to everyone and so i think expect fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

ax530 wrote: »
    Are your children going to go back ? what did they say to your essential status ?

I'm in same situations I hear of so many children still in creche wondering if I'm the only ejit keeping them at home
    The creche sent out a text yesterday similar to what we got when closed for Jan asking to notify them if you are essential and will be requiring a place.

looking at gov.ie see they have this listed as essential ... financial, insurance and banking services (including post office and credit union services) provided by a financial services provider
    So believe the creche could take the children as I am classified as 'essential' however I do not think I'm contributing to keeping country going.

Our manager asked are we essential (both financial & both can work remotely) so I said no as o feel that's the truth.
    All parents got a email Friday saying Feb fees paused for parents keeping kids at home. No mention of January fees that have been paid. They are not forthcoming on this. I will have to email them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Our creche got back + said no fees for Feb if you don't use the service.

In order to use creche you must get a letter from employer to say your essential.

Relived, didn't want to send him back yet. It won't be easy doing another month wfh but better than stress and worry of catching Covid.

Covid figures are up in creches and most are operating with reduced numbers.

Hopefully four more weeks + numbers will have dropped enough that schools and creches can all go back.

Our creche have been very good Jan payment went through due to timing but it will credited back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

happihat wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, thinking of waiting a week or two to see how numbers are. Creche are opening to everyone and so i think expect fees.

opening to everybody is against gov policy: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/childcare_and_covid19.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happihat

iAcesHigh wrote: »

I know but what can I do? If I don't pay I'll lose my spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

happihat wrote: »
    I know but what can I do? If I don't pay I'll lose my spot.

If you lose your spot you report them? Indeed, it's delicate situation so you'll probably need to assess how much risk you're willing to take... I know I wouldn't care, but we all have our own priorities...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Didn't want to create specific thread but wondering if anyone else in similar situation.

Child in my eldest kids class had COVID, so my child was naturally a close contact. Got her tested and she was negative but not allowed back to crèche for 10days (restricted movement) - makes total sense and responsible on behalf of the crèche.

I have another child in the same crèche, different class. Currently appears they won't be allowed back in either for 10days due to this case 😕. Appears baffling - not a close contact or even a casual contact but 'in case my eldest shows symptoms in next few days the younger would then be a close contact'. Appears ridiculous, but to be fair the crèche are excellent and they are waiting on public health advice so it may not be the case.

Anyone else had similar thing happen and know what situation was? Trying to plan work around an unknown for the morning which isn't easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement