Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Sanitiser

Options
  • 13-03-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone found any places that stock hand sanititiser looking to get some for my premises?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Look for hygiene supply companies.

Chances are that they'll look after their regular clients first.

But no harm calling them.

Musgraves were sold out, but were expecting some for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Make your own? Buy a bottle of absinthe from your local off license if you can’t get any medical alcohol.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer/amp

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

It's almost impossible to get supplies at the moment, we have a limited amount here:

https://www.themobilityshop.ie/hand-sanitiser-gel-single-sachets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

Make sure it has a min of 70% alcohol AKA ask for hospital grade hand sanitizer as hospitals will only use them at 70% or more to have a decent effect. Pharmacies normally order hospital grade if you ask them ...Not sure you could could do that atm given that all our PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and healthcare products are prioritized for protecting frontline staff, doctors, gardai and the vulnerable etc. first.

It's almost impossible to get supplies at the moment, we have a limited amount here:

https://www.themobilityshop.ie/hand-sanitiser-gel-single-sachets.html

Your link to your website doesn't state the alcohol percentage, may I assume that it is above 70%?

• Advertisement

OR you can make your own with just 3 ingredients ... I personally recommend using 99% isopropyl alcohol (Radionics usually sell up to 5 litres of the stuff) and mix with aloe very gel, +/- add essential oil for smell. https://cleanmyspace.com/hand-sanitizer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Maybe contact a local distillery if it can't be imported.
    There were various news reports of some making their own (about 65%), adding essential oils, and selling for little over cost price to local customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just bought a case from a ‘discount till rolls’ that I get till rolls from. They emailed a flyer advertising them earlier today

Your link to your website doesn't state the alcohol percentage, may I assume that it is above 70%?

Yep, under 70% isnt sanitiser.

Nice ;) Sure, it's people's lives you gotta take into account, we have to hold everyone up in these hard times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

60-95% is good enough

scary wrote: »
    60-95% is good enough

I would not suggest that, unless you have credible experience working as a healthcare professional/WHO/CDC representative. Misinformation is detrimental in a crisis like this.

Save yourself the worry and get those hands disinfected as close to 100% alcohol content as possible. Anything less is just asking for the virus to come take you and your loved ones away as hostages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

New outlet for poitin makers.

I would not suggest that, unless you have credible experience working as a healthcare professional/WHO/CDC representative. Misinformation is detrimental in a crisis like this.

Save yourself the worry and get those hands disinfected as close to 100% alcohol content as possible. Anything less is just asking for the virus to come take you and your loved ones away as hostages.

Thats the CDC recommendation

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Thats the CDC recommendation

"CDC recommends the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers with greater than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol as the preferred form of hand hygiene in healthcare settings, based upon greater access to hand sanitizer."

CDC guidelines for healthcare professionals

"CDC recommends the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers with greater than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol as the preferred form of hand hygiene in healthcare settings, based upon greater access to hand sanitizer."

CDC guidelines for healthcare professionals

As the spouse of a nurse in a Dublin hospital i can tell you now that 70% or greater IPA is not been used as hand sanitizer.

that is incorrect

https://www.sciencealert.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-hand-sanitizer-against-coronavirus
    3. If 60 percent alcohol is good, is 100 percent better?
    Surprisingly, no. Protein denaturation actually works faster when a small amount of water is mixed with the alcohol. And pure alcohol would evaporate too quickly to effectively kill bacteria or viruses on your skin, especially during winter when the air is less humid.

As the spouse of a nurse in a Dublin hospital i can tell you now that 70% or greater IPA is not been used as hand sanitizer.

Which Dublin Hospital?
    See attached photo of what they use in St Vincent’s, Bon Secours and St James Hospital. 70% or above is the gold standard in any HSE or Private run hospital please tell your wife to check this as most registered nurses normally carry these on their tunics.
    Not trying to have a dispute with anyone here only stating the facts from the ground.

glasso wrote: »

Aloe Vera Gel etc. can be mixed with it that also contains water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Company in Cork is making 80,000 bottles a week and has started shipping. It is ramping up supply further and hopes to make 3m bottles

So just like food and Jax rolls, there'll be plenty of it

Airmedica is the range

• Advertisement

Sorry you are right, over 60% is the correct amount for sanitiser.

Advertisement