Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rationing / Quotas during Crises such as Covid 19

• 14-03-2020 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Based on the actions of a sizeable proportion of the population over the last week, should Quotas and rationing be enforced on all essential goods during times of Crises?

I strongly believe the government could put a simple quota of no more than 2 of the same item to be sold to a single customer of any essential goods.

Essential goods being Bread, Milk, flour, eggs and other foodstuffs and sanitary products.

Of course people could do multiple shops with multiple family members but it would cut down on a lot of the arseholes hoarding simple goods.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

No. The supply chains are intact. The stocks are perfectly fine.
    The idiots that were panic buying will end up throwing out a lot of their purchases.
    Lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

think rationing/quotas must take into account family size.

but think we're not there yet, in general. except the likes of hand sanitizers (which now I am making my own, there is no where to find where I live)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that replacing the BOGOF [Buy One get one free] promotion with [Buy One and get the second for 25% more] might curb a few of the locusts stripping the shelves.

Mind you, some were buying the premium version (which they never buy) when the standard one they normally buy was not available, so it may not work.

Was over in Tesco just now, and the cashier said the shelves were fully stocked over night, but there were queues out the door at 7 am, and those people went crazy at the shelves. When I was there, the were no crowds, less than normal for a Saturday. Most shelves were fully stocked except breakfast cereals, flour, soap and the like. No shortage of milk, bread or toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Aldi are restricting the sales of cleaning products to 4 per customer, I thing they are also restricting staples but definately know about cleaning as a person ahead of me tried to buy 5 and had to give 1 back. Till operator said one woman bought 30l of milk and 33 loaves of bread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Del2005 wrote: »
    Aldi are restricting the sales of cleaning products to 4 per customer, I thing they are also restricting staples but definately know about cleaning as a person ahead of me tried to buy 5 and had to give 1 back. Till operator said one woman bought 30l of milk and 33 loaves of bread

It is OK to freeze bread (if you have the room in the freezer) but milk?

I think a lot of the panic buying is going to cause panic when the eat by date is reached and more panic when the credit card bill arrives.

A lot of this stuff is going to be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There should be quotas on Covid-19 threads.

There should be quotas on Covid-19 threads.

Six on the fist page.

Panic buying is good for the economy, and we're told that the supply chain is operating as normal. So everyone should do their part and panic buy as much as possible. If it gets wasted who cares, there'll be plenty more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No one cares about Greta and the planet any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So I can't buy TP and bread for my 3 old neighbours now?
    Thanks OP..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Del2005 wrote: »
    funny but might have been buying for others.
    Immobile people and those in high risk categories will need help getting supplied.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plenty of discussion of the ample food and other vital resources available, and indeed those panic buying, in the main Coronavirus thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement