Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and Coronavirus

Options
  • 14-03-2020 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

A sobering read about pregnancy and coronovirus.

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/coronaviruses/

1st Trimester: Risk of miscarriage (50%) and birth defects.
    2nd and 3rd Trimester: Risk of early labour (approx. 30-40%), stillbirth (approx. 20%) and other complications like poor growth.

This is early days so many of the statistics are based on observations from a relatively small (Covid19-infected) population sample.
    Other stats are based on stronger relationships observed during similars viral outbreaks in the past, I.e. SARS and MERS.

My sisters, both of whom work in a face-to-face role with the HSE and are pregnant, are in complete limbo regarding current/expected working conditions.

There’s a lot of mention in the media about the vulnerability of elderly and immunocompromised citizens, but I’ve heard no mention made of the unborn child. I hope this gets discussed more and want to draw attention to the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Coralcoras wrote: »
    A sobering read about pregnancy and coronovirus.

https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/coronaviruses/

1st Trimester: Risk of miscarriage (50%) and birth defects.
    2nd and 3rd Trimester: Risk of early labour (approx. 30-40%), stillbirth (approx. 20%) and other complications like poor growth.

This is early days so many of the statistics are based on observations from a relatively small (Covid19-infected) population sample.
    Other stats are based on stronger relationships observed during similars viral outbreaks in the past, I.e. SARS and MERS.

My sisters, both of whom work in a face-to-face role with the HSE and are pregnant, are in complete limbo regarding current/expected working conditions.

There’s a lot of mention in the media about the vulnerability of elderly and immunocompromised citizens, but I’ve heard no mention made of the unborn child. I hope this gets discussed more and want to draw attention to the issue.

Tell them to contact OHD and get a risk assessment done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Not clicking the link. How could anyone have these statistics for a disease only known about since November 2019?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

These stats are similar to someone who is pregnant and suffers flu. We are hearing about Coronavirus now for obvious reasons but the we don’t hear about the flu and pregnancy because we’re used to it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a parenting forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement