Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we survive without sport?

Options
  • 14-03-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms already and we're only a few days in. Almost everything cancelled. Stuck in the house all day and no sport on TV.

Might have to start watching re runs of epic sporting events.

Anyone recommend anything?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Broadening your interests ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’m borrowing a dog and going for a hike up the mountains.

Youtube videos clips of waterford hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Broaden you interests and watch C list celebrities cooking, dancing, and buying antiques.
    It will be such fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Might have to start watching re runs of epic sporting events.

:o may as well play video games you already cleared

If its not live it’s dead - make no mistake; that’s the real casualty rate here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Develop a benzos addicton Clean your room.

I love watching sport but it’s not important at this time. I have no idea what I’m going to do myself. I’ve an XBox I never found a game I like for and I can’t find a thing I want to watch on Netflix. Still though, sitting staring at a wall for weeks is better than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

football manager? its a game you cant finish, it will keep you busy for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm going to count how many envelopes I can seal in an hour. Then try to break my record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

You gonna put a saddle on the dog?

Apologies...I'll get my coat ...lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Broadening your interests ?

Any suggestions?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Watch all the old matches / legendary sporting moments on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I love watching sport but it’s not important at this time.

I wonder will a lot of people come to the realisation that it's not truly important at any time, and never rediscover their passion for it again?

Thinking about getting an Oculus Quest and spending the next few months exploring the limitless world of VR...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

pgj2015 wrote: »
    football manager? its a game you cant finish, it will keep you busy for a good while.

Great shout!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Rufeo wrote: »
    Watch all the old matches / legendary sporting moments on the internet.

That what I assumed would happen. Channels broadcasting best of clip shows, past finals and the ten funniest moments in professional darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On my own list:
    Do a deep clean of the house.
    Gardening.
    Go through the attic and remove old junk.

I wonder will a lot of people come to the realisation that it's not truly important at any time, and never rediscover their passion for it again?

Thinking about getting an Oculus Quest and spending the next few months exploring the limitless world of VR...

Don’t you need a computer worth about 5 grand to run one of them?

Don’t you need a computer worth about 5 grand to run one of them?

Nope, you can get standalone ones now that do pretty much everything the dearer PC-tethered ones do...
    https://www.oculus.com/quest/?locale=en_US

Nope, you can get standalone ones now that do pretty much everything the dearer PC-tethered ones do...
    https://www.oculus.com/quest/?locale=en_US

That would be good. My only experience was a Gear VR around the time of the S7 and I presume it’s come on in leaps and bounds since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I have a four hour Isle Of Man TT DVD unopened.
    And I have not watched my Wrong Way Round Charley Boorman / Ewen McGregor DVD in about ten years.
    That will be a start. I moved house in 2018 and could not find my DVDs, but found them all recently.

If thing get really bad I can get the VHS player, and my 1990, 1994 soccer World Cup tapes. I taped every match (not just Ireland games).
    And I subscribed to a monthly international horse racing tape for a few years in the 1990s. Plenty there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’d need a serious bout of amnesia to revisit something I’d already been through

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I bought a guitar last month with the intention of finally learning to play so I'm going to hit that.

My dad plays whist 4/5 nights a week, I'd imagine that'll have to stop pretty soon. Wonder would it be possible to host the games online?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We can survive without sport if we can survive without correct sentence structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Any suggestions?

Computer games probably appeal to your competitive side.
    Painting/sketching
    Creative writing
    Go out and photograph the world

Huge amount of nerdy things on the computer

If you have a computer scanner you can scan in old family photos and restore them with a bit of patience using a free photo editor like "Gimp" https://www.gimp.org/
    I've had great success restoring old photos, ones with cracks and folds in the paper, etc.
    Patience and good careful use of the "Clone brush tool" means you can manually colour in the blemishs with pixels/nearby parts of the image.

Plenty of online courses to learn a new skill/technology, learn to program etc.
    Bargain alert thread for free Udemy courses: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057198335&page=296

Create a blog site about something you have knowledge of.

Set up some sort of neighbourhood watch/WhatsApp group for your street.

Gardening.

Spring cleaning house.

Check out those "50 films to watch before you die" type of lists and force yourself to watch one you wouldn't normally watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Any suggestions?

Lots of great movies and tv series you haven't seen yet
    Lots of great computer games and music you haven't experienced. Loads of documentaries, podcasts and so many good books.

Hiking, walking, salsa dancing, improv comedy, creative writing, archery, rock climbing, darts, snooker

Try get into a fitness buzz with the gym or one of the many other ways to keep fit. Learn a new skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A dog is borrowing me and we will hit the park.

Otherwise...

Netflix
    TV
    Ps4
    Guitar
    Exercise bike
    Weight training
    Board games
    Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've managed for decades np.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Any suggestions?

Improve your English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

Greyfox wrote: »
    Lots of great movies and tv series you haven't seen yet
    Lots of great computer games and music you haven't experienced. Loads of documentaries, podcasts and so many good books.

Hiking, walking, salsa dancing, improv comedy, creative writing, archery, rock climbing, darts, snooker

Try get into a fitness buzz with the gym or one of the many other ways to keep fit. Learn a new skill.

Charades.

Film.
    One word.
    Goldfinger.

Advertisement