Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we survive without sport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It'll be a tough few months.

ian-beale-gif.gif

There's friends of mine who do nothing every weekend only watch sports, I've always thought you'd have to be lazy/slightly retarded/boring/souless/socially impotent wannabees or just one useless bollox to give your life over to sport on your days off, find a hobby or go for a walk or do something but waste away on the couch or pub taking part in WhatsApp groups fantasizing about one team beating another, i just don't get it but each to their own i suppose

Because sport is fantastic entertainment, I watch hours and hours of it every weekend end and all week long. It’s going to be a massive pain and cause of boredom not having weekends full of sport.

Today would have been a full day watching premier league games followed by watching the golf all evening/night now it’s hard to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm the opposite, I can't understand how people grow up and never play a sport or get involved in sporting organisations.

What would you do in your spare time?

Because when young, if you were not friends with the managers son, you didn't get picked. That leads to a lack of interest in your youth, and that follows into adulthood.

From what I can see going by my nephews comments, it's still the same albeit not as immediately noticeable.

Like the non-sporty crowd, I can't see how people spend so much time watching millionaires kick or throw inflated leather around for us peasants entertainment. Unless you're watching hurling, which still gets a pass because it's just a fantastic game. Even the bad games of hurling are better than the best games of soccer, imo.

The thought of being in a pub when there's a match on terrifies me. Aside from having to listen to all these ex-professional players who just didn't get that lucky phonecall to play for a big club, ie: know it all wasters who wouldn't be able to kick a ball themselves but know exactly how every play should have been played. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Very easily. I can't think of anything duller than watching other people play a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very easily. I can't think of anything duller than watching other people play a game.

Gimme sport any day. I'm currently sitting down with the missus having to watch Kim kardashian paint her nails. How do people watch this muck.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Gimme sport any day. I'm currently sitting down with the missus having to watch Kim kardashian paint her nails. How do people watch this muck.

Fair point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Any suggestions?

Try doing **** instead of consuming. You'll even improve your energy levels.
    If you insist on consuming visuals, try navelgazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Sport is viewed by some to be as equally crap as watching Kim Kardashian paint her nails.... so welcome to what we have to endure when we want to watch the news, listen to the radio, or read the paper.

A bit crap isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms already and we're only a few days in. Almost everything cancelled. Stuck in the house all day and no sport on TV.

Might have to start watching re runs of epic sporting events.

Anyone recommend anything?

Pubs are still open ya mad thing. I’ve spent the last two days out for Cheltenham and will be hitting the pub soon for food and predrinks before my aunties 70th birthday party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Because sport is fantastic entertainment.

Sometimes it is but sometimes big matches can be dissapointing.
    Even the bad games of hurling are better than the best games of soccer, imo.
    Nonsense, if this was true hurling would be played a lot more outside Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm the opposite, I can't understand how people grow up and never play a sport or get involved in sporting organisations.

What would you do in your spare time?

Ah it’s so funny how different people are. I always found the most interesting people are the ones people find boring, and the ones that people think are great craic are actually bores when you strip it down.

I’ve always played sport in teams, had trials in England but always hated being part of a team. I love football but had no interest in the typical banter and whatever else or being part of a team. I like having fun but never liked being part of a team sport. Other stuff to be doing.

*Realize I probably sound like a bore based on above post

With a bit of effort you could find a thousand things better to watch than the Kardashians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Massive Liverpool fan here. Had tickets for our next three home games and will be sad about not being able to see the lads winning the title to a packed stadium but tbh i could care less. This is about personal responsibility and maturity now and everything else comes way way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Read,
    Write,
    Paint,
    Learn to play a musical instrument,
    Carpentry,
    Watch films/shows,
    Play boardgames,
    Go for a hike,
    Do something crafty and productive,
    Learn a new language or skill,
    Do a college course,
    Photography,
    Etc.

Limiting oneself to one hobby/pursuit is very limiting and a recipe for disappointment. It is a big world out there, full of a wide host of hobbies and activities... Go explore it!

Eh bad time to go exploring the world me thinks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I guess she had to put up with watching endless Liverpool United or whatever until now.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Nonsense, if this was true hurling would be played a lot more outside Ireland.

The reason no one outside of Ireland plays it is because they're too scared. Just watch the reaction videos.

Ah no, it's not played outside of Ireland because it's an Irish sport and other countries can't even fathom how it's played. The Irish outside of Ireland are trying mind, but the skill and dedication required to be good at it is beyond most in other countries. Plus, like yourself, they're indoctrinated to believe the most popular sports are better, simply due to being popular.

Would rather wax my balls than watch soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Greyfox wrote: »
    With a bit of effort you could find a thousand things better to watch than the Kardashians

True, I've the thrilla in Manila on now!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I have a four hour Isle Of Man TT DVD unopened.
    And I have not watched my Wrong Way Round Charley Boorman / Ewen McGregor DVD in about ten years.
    That will be a start. I moved house in 2018 and could not find my DVDs, but found them all recently.

If thing get really bad I can get the VHS player, and my 1990, 1994 soccer World Cup tapes. I taped every match (not just Ireland games).
    And I subscribed to a monthly international horse racing tape for a few years in the 1990s. Plenty there.

Not sure if you've seen it but TT: Closer to the Edge is a unbelievable documentary, even for people who are not fans of motorbike road racing. Also theres a good doc out there on the Dunlops, its very sad but gripping viewing watching their dedication to a sport that ultimately ends in tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The reason no one outside of Ireland plays it is because they're too scared. Just watch the reaction videos.

Ah no, it's not played outside of Ireland because it's an Irish sport and other countries can't even fathom how it's played. The Irish outside of Ireland are trying mind, but the skill and dedication required to be good at it is beyond most in other countries. Plus, like yourself, they're indoctrinated to believe the most popular sports are better, simply due to being popular.

Would rather wax my balls than watch soccer.

There’s a game in Thailand that’s a bit like basketball only it’s anything but the hands. I saw it where was it now...

Somewhere Street. The ball is small and the goal is a little hole in a sort of nest they have hung like 100ft in the air :eek: this auld lad was smashing it in with his shoulder and heeling it; no looksies all sorts of stuff. Soccer is universal you can even play it drunk on the way home from the pub with a crumpled up bag of half finished chips but some games really are just too hard to catch on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure if you've seen it but TT: Closer to the Edge is a unbelievable documentary, even for people who are not fans of motorbike road racing. Also theres a good doc out there on the Dunlops, its very sad but gripping viewing watching their dedication to a sport that ultimately ends in tragedy.

Road. Well worth watching.
    Also a decent documentary on Amazon following an up and coming rider, Tom Wheedon.

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    There’s a game in Thailand that’s a bit like basketball only it’s anything but the hands. I saw it where was it now...

Somewhere Street. The ball is small and the goal is a little hole in a sort of nest they have hung like 100ft in the air :eek: this auld lad was smashing it in with his shoulder and heeling it; no looksies all sorts of stuff. Soccer is universal you can even play it drunk on the way home from the pub with a crumpled up bag of half finished chips but some games really are just too hard to catch on

Sepak takraw is all that is coming back! Basically extreme hacky sack crossed with volley ball, can't find anything about the nests though. Sounds mental all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Get into Kabaddi on Youtube. Serious sport

Plus, like yourself, they're indoctrinated to believe the most popular sports are better, simply due to being popular.

In fairness popularity is a good was of choosing whats best. I completely understand why so many Irish prefer watching hurling. Playing it though, football/soccer is just so much more fun.. or maybe just so much easier to play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sepak takraw is all that is coming back! Basically extreme hacky sack crossed with volley ball, can't find anything about the nests though. Sounds mental all the same.

High intensity competition there :eek: this was more a casual street game, like a round of keepy up you see in training between but the fancy stuff the focus

Whilst trying to factor in having a poke at that thing hung way up. I think it was more a barometer for maintaining a height has to be said though they’re mad for the acrobatics out those ways, the agility never fails to astound. I think that old boy had some brew on him as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

not everyone is a sports fan, theres plenty to watch on tv and youtube ,
    Most people do not have sky sports ,
    if all the coffee shops or gyms close for six months people will survive.
    Watching sport on tv is a luxury .
    Theres drama,s ,comedy on tv.
    Is there a few people out there whose only interest is sport.
    maybe a good time to catch on on all the book,s ,tv drama,s that you never watched or read.
    Theres probably lots of old classis sport to watch on youtube or satellite tv.
    In my experience most people just watch the olympics or international soccer
    on tv,or maybe the gaa finals at croke park.
    ie free to air sports events
    Maybe 20-30 per cent are real hardcore sports fans .

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

try and read an actual book not a tablet. Additional you've also hopefully, got good access to the internet so hopefully you won't be stuck for something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Putting on 28 Days Later here. Seems fitting.

try and read an actual book not a tablet. Additional you've also hopefully, got good access to the internet so hopefully you won't be stuck for something to do.

That’s only the mantra of blowhards. A reader app on a tablet will have exactly the same words and exactly the same story as a physical book.

riclad wrote: »
    not everyone is a sports fan, theres plenty to watch on tv and youtube ,
    Most people do not have sky sports ,
    if all the coffee shops or gyms close for six months people will survive.
    Watching sport on tv is a luxury .
    Theres drama,s ,comedy on tv.
    Is there a few people out there whose only interest is sport.
    maybe a good time to catch on on all the book,s ,tv drama,s that you never watched or read.
    Theres probably lots of old classis sport to watch on youtube or satellite tv.
    In my experience most people just watch the olympics or international soccer
    on tv,or maybe the gaa finals at croke park.
    ie free to air sports events
    Maybe 20-30 per cent are real hardcore sports fans .

I would say your figures are way off, I’d say 70 to 80% of people are very into sport.

• Advertisement

I would say your figures are way off, I’d say 70 to 80% of people are very into sport.

Not a hope it's that high. I think it's somewhere in the middle of the two of ye, but hard to know. Maybe 70-80% would have at least a passing interest, but very into it would be a lot lower.

But, more and more people are finding other things to interest themselves with, so I feel that figure is/will drop.

Advertisement