Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we survive without sport?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Some good sports documentaries on netflix. My wife has no interest in F1 but found Drive to Survive rivetting. Last Chance U is also very good and, although I havent seen it, Icarus is meant to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Le Mans 66 (for some reason known as Ford v Ferrari... ugh) is amazing, highly recommended even if you're not a racing fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Plenty of us manage just fine without sports addiction, we just grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

_Brian wrote: »

Ooh, edgy. When will you mature out of the smug phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

_Brian wrote: »

Plenty of people tell me they never watch any sport but then in the big convo at work they're all be able to talk about the big rugby or hurling match the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There’s a large amount of neckbeards and dweebs on Boards. Dweebs and neckbeards tend to hate sport. Apart from MMA it would seem. They love that disgusting orgy of violence and anger for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There’s a large amount of neckbeards and dweebs on Boards.

Except for you, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

There’s a large amount of neckbeards and dweebs on Boards. Dweebs and neckbeards tend to hate sport. Apart from MMA it would seem. They love that disgusting orgy of violence and anger for some reason.
    In the unlikely event you ever start fighting MMA I think a good name to fight under for you would be JawKnee Flash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

not all sports the racing lobby and the betting lobby are not quite shut down , racing going ahead with out crowds but you still have to have medics and ambulances there and its a pandemic in ireland totally immoral to take these medics away from their work. Disgusting who knows how much virus came home from Cheltenham. Horse racing ireland arse licking the thoroughbred industry with all its own despicables like the sheik who imprisons his daughter for 20 years.........elitist bull****. stop all sport if the ruggers and the GAA can accept this then so should racing. Disgusted.

Neckbeard: a man who is socially inept and physically unappealing, especially one who has an obsessive interest in computing.

Dweeb: a boring, studious, or socially inept person (personally don't think studious should be in there).

Socially inept is a good one. I would consider someone who only talks about the sesh's and sport as socially inept, as they can only be socially ept competent when talking about the sesh or sport, oh, and gambling. A lot are also physically unappealing too. Depends on what side you look at it from I suppose.

Not a massive fan of MMA myself, especially the ground game. Love seeing 2 lads puck the head off each other though, but rather than watch the entire thing live (usually boring), I watch highlights and compilation videos. Someone out there is lovingly creating a new video each week with that weeks knockouts across all fighting sports. Just like someone else does the same for motorsport and public crashes. I'm rambling...

• Advertisement

We’re all socially inept or we wouldn’t be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Guy Person wrote: »
    In the unlikely event you ever start fighting MMA I think a good name to fight under for you would be JawKnee Flash.

No fear of it.sure everyone knows old johnny the flash wouldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag.hes more of a talker and a ducker.
    Pillow paws they used to call him at school

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Socially inept is a good one. I would consider someone who only talks about the sesh's and sport as socially inept, as they can only be socially ept competent when talking about the sesh or sport, oh, and gambling. A lot are also physically unappealing too. Depends on what side you look at it from I suppose.

Someone who can only talk about books is as socially inept.

I have no problem with people not liking sports, each to their own but taking an active dislike of sports always comes across as little petty and sad.
    I can't see how people spend so much time watching millionaires kick or throw inflated leather around for us peasants entertainment

The best authors, directors and actors in the world also earn a lot of money and can work a lot longer than ten years at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Don’t know how someone can talk about books. If you can talk about books and make it interesting, fair ****s to you.
    Same for TV shows, my mate is in a LDR with a girl from the states, and I’ve heard them just chat about a TV show. Don’t know how the **** they do it.

I believe it's down to those persons interests. Like yourselves, I can't fathom how someone can go on and on about a subject, except in my case it's sport. 'Yer man kicked the ball good in that sports game, but he didn't kick it as good as that other lad', etc. But I could talk for hours about the lore and gameplay of the Legacy of Kain series of games. Just like my brother could discuss Stephen King books forever.

I just feel that sports is basically pushed onto you at a young age. I understand why, exercise and whatnot, but it's definitely forced rather than recommended. Or, at least, it was in my day in school (80's/90's). Being small and not great friends with the managers kids meant I rarely got picked (even though any time I was picked to play, I played very well). So my interest in sports waned over years until I realised I was wasting my time watching/following it, much more interesting subjects (for me) to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Same for TV shows, my mate is in a LDR with a girl from the states, and I’ve heard them just chat about a TV show. Don’t know how the **** they do it.

Talking about a tv series, film, game or a match is normal and healthy. It's when someone doesn't change the subject after a while that they become insufferable bores.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The Irish Bullet Chess championship is on at the moment, if any of you are into that..
    Some commentary here: https://www.twitch.tv/fionchetta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have noticed over the years you can almost know someone who likes and follows horse racing from someone who hates it after a few minutes conversation.
    Has anyone ever found this?

those who enjoy it will be:
    -socially very comfortable to sit and chat about most topics
    -wont ever have a bee in their bonnet in work situations too much
    -enjoy the company of people that dont take life to serious.
    - are from rural background
    -enjoy pubs /chats/having the craic
    - are not stingy or complain about the price of this or that

those who dont like racing:
    - have theories on this /that or other
    - take themselves very serious
    - are not comfortable sitting on their own in a bar chatting to random people
    -dont like the outdoors particulaly
    - dont really like farmers
    - like craft beers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was neckbeard phrase not barred on boards?

Nice to see the 5k road race in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have noticed over the years you can almost know someone who likes and follows horse racing from someone who hates it after a few minutes conversation.

- like craft beers

100% spot on regarding those who LIKE racing

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »

- like craft beers

Those who like racing:
    - likes to gamble.

Those who don’t like racing:
    - doesn’t like to gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Those who like racing:
    - likes to gamble.

Those who don’t like racing:
    - doesn’t like to gamble.

theres defo more to it than that, you can see it more in women that like going to the races, you can bet they are probably less likely to enjoy music festivals, the ladies that like going to music festivals usualy would not "get" a day at the races.
    I found this with some guys as well, i find people who enjoy going racing value little luxuries in their lives and the thoughts of hardship for fun like muddy music festival is not thier idea of fun. I also found that people who follow racing are more likely to be able to hold a conversation with older people like a 30 year old could chew the fat with a 60 year old easily enough, i sometimes find some people in thier 20ss and early 30s badly let down by the skill of being sociable with older people as well as younger. they dont seem mature enough or havent experienced enough business life /responsibility to be able to chat properly to someone outside their cohort.

Advertisement