Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some help with disability benefit please

• 14-03-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hello,I am on disability allowance since last year and life has been so very tough for me with ill health and much more mentally.i literally only have a few hundred euro in my bank and basically use my allowance to pay for food/Bill's e.t.c I recently won a lump sum of money which has amounted to thousands and now I am scared as I do not know what to do.i changed the cheque and asked for cash.i wanted to put it in my bank but I am fearful as it's a lump sum and what happens if I was asked questions about it.i hate it being in my house as cash and I just want to put in my bank as a bit of insurance for the future if my health and wellbeing got worse.if anyone was able to give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

Blades77 wrote: »
    hello,I posted this half an hour ago but seems it didnt register.i am on disability allowance through I'll health and mental well being and literally just have a few hundred euros in my bank.i pay my Bill's and food out of my allowance and I am not left with much after it.i recently won a lump sum of money which amounted to thousands but I am genuinely scared to put it in my bank because maybe I am not allowed to have this if I am on disability allowance.i used to work years ago and then was on for jobseekers for a period until eventually I just couldnt do this anymore and I'll health took over my life.i would appreciate it if anybody could advise or help me please.

There is a disregard so depending on the amount it may not affect your payment but it should be declared.

There is a state benefits forum that would be able to offer better advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

How did you 'win' the money? That's important as there may be tax implications depending on what it is. Secondly, since disability is means tested, then you're obliged to tell the social of any capital you have gained as otherwise you could be cut off and prosecuted for failing to make a declaration. It's also worth noting that DoSP are getting much better at clamping down on disability claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Could you check the citizens advice website to see how much you can have that is not taken into account when assessing your means? I don't know if disability is means tested but I'm sure there are social welfare payments where you are allowed to have s certain amount of savings/money in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

hello,I am on disability allowance since last year and life has been so very tough for me with ill health and much more mentally.i literally only have a few hundred euro in my bank and basically use my allowance to pay for food/Bill's e.t.c I recently won a lump sum of money which has amounted to thousands and now I am scared as I do not know what to do.i changed the cheque and asked for cash.i wanted to put it in my bank but I am fearful as it's a lump sum and what happens if I was asked questions about it.i hate it being in my house as cash and I just want to put in my bank as a bit of insurance for the future if my health and wellbeing got worse.if anyone was able to give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.thank you

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

This will be a good starting point.
    I will read through it myself and come back here if I can follow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi Blades
    You can have a lump sum of €50000 and it won’t affect your disability allowance, but you have to inform SW anyway. How much did you win?

Advertisement