Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due to fly to the Uk on monday, are we mad?

• 14-03-2020 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

My partner and I are due to fly to the Uk on monday for a wedding and return on wednesday, its been planned for a year.

Are we mad to go, currently there are no restrictions in place but as the situation is changing by the hour i have no clue what to do or if that will stay that way.

Its a very close friend and we will be part of the small group of a attendees, i am torn on going and trying to have a good time or staying and protection my family and me with whatever may come in the next few days

Any advice or input is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If it was me I wouldn't be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

The UK has officially adopted a policy of herd immunity. They want people to get infected.

I wouldn’t go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If it was me I would still go. People seem to think this is going to be over in a week or two, where experts are saying peak is months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Don’t go !
    You risk catching the virus yourself as well as passing it into others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭joinme

Go to your friends wedding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mad - maybe
    Selfish - yes

I was due to fly over to my best friend who had to move to London 10 years ago. Not been over to him in 4 years or so

I cancelled .
    I cancelled not because I was afraid of getting sick . I cancelled because it’s the right thing to do .
    What is the point of schools closing etc if people continue to travel in a situation like this .
    You miss the wedding but you play your part in minimizing The spread of the virus .

I watched a very short video last night that had a huge impact
    The message from the video was clear.
    Assume you have the virus and alter your behvaiours accordingly
    Everyone seems to be caught up in the fear of catching it . If we concentrated instead on what we can control ourselves that is much more effective

If it was me I would still go. People seem to think this is going to be over in a week or two, where experts are saying peak is months away.

If people going on non essential travel like this it certainly won’t be over in a few weeks because the lockdown will have been absolutely pointless won’t it

The UK has officially adopted a policy of herd immunity. They want people to get infected.

Official source for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sexmag wrote: »
    My partner and I are due to fly to the Uk on monday for a wedding and return on wednesday, its been planned for a year.

Are we mad to go, currently there are no restrictions in place but as the situation is changing by the hour i have no clue what to do or if that will stay that way.

Its a very close friend and we will be part of the small group of a attendees, i am torn on going and trying to have a good time or staying and protection my family and me with whatever may come in the next few days

Any advice or input is appreciated

Booked to go to a wedding in Scotland start of April.

Can't see it happening.

You've got the advice from government and HSE. You can ignore it. But remember the possible effects you ignoring such advice can have on those around you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JayZeus wrote: »
    Official source for this?

Have you been living under a rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

lawred2 wrote: »
    You've got the advice from government and HSE. You can ignore it. But remember the possible effects you ignoring such advice can have on those around you.

Their advise is to EU states, they have specified the common travel area is not included in that

Their advise is to EU states, they have specified the common travel area is not included in that

“All people are advised to reduce their social interactions “ - you will certainly be ignoring this

And
    “Keep a distance of 2 meters (6 feet) from other people “ - best of luck with that

We all now have decisions to make.
    Do we make the right one which is probably the most difficult one ? And hope that others do the same so that this can’t be contained relatively quickly
    Or
    Do we take the easy selfish one? And end up like Italy where all decisions are taken out of our hands due to the amount of people who died because of other people

You have all the information.
    You will get various opinions on here
    Only you can make the decision .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Grand. Go for it.

It's only a matter of hours or days. But up to you.

Hopefully you'll find a seat in the plane and airport that allows you to keep 1.5m to 2m distance from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Go or don’t go, just accept the possible consequences either way.
    B&G might be terribly hurt if you cancel or they might take it on the chin. You might pick up the bug and come back here and infect others. Or you might not.
    We’ve been asked to make sacrifices, including a whole generation who’ve had everything they ever wanted with no restrictions. Personally I don’t think that cancelling travel plans is a huge sacrifice and I wouldn’t be going to the wedding because I wouldn’t want to come back here from a huge social gathering to pass a bad virus onto vulnerable loved ones for the sake of a party but you do whatever you think is best as long as you know that it was your decision only.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

I wouldn't be going either. The very fact you're flying, for one thing would be a major deterrent in terms of the obvious numbers you would be coming in contact with on four occasions.

Your friend in the circumstances would undoubtedly understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes but that's only playing ducks and drakes with labels. Getting on a plane to go to the UK is no different to going to anywhere else in the EU. It still involves airports, aeroplanes, public transport and mingling with lots of people. It's possibly worse in the UK because they're pursuing a herd immunity policy and want everyone to get the virus.

I pulled the plug on a trip to the UK later this month. It was going to be a meet-up with some old friends but it has been making me uneasy recently. I'm disappointed but my mind is at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

As an emergency medicine doctor, I would absolutely advise you not to go. It is not just mad. It's selfish and inconsiderate. I cannot social distance in any real way (other than outside of work); I am working with potential COVID19 patients all day every day at present.

We are relying on everyone to make sacrifices to protect the more vulnerable in Ireland. If everyone took such a cavalier approach to social distancing, then we will be in a terrible position in coming weeks. Even days.

Miss the wedding. Nobody will die. However, someone might die as a direct result of this or similar trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Don’t go !
    You risk catching the virus yourself as well as passing it into others.

He's risking catching the virus going to Tesco too though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There will always be other weddings.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    He's risking catching the virus going to Tesco too though..

They didn't ask about going to tesco. Shopping is a necessity and of course there is online shopping

They asked about a completely optional and unnecessary trip out of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

As a healthcare worker, I just find the level of selfishness on this thread incredible. Healthcare colleagues in Ireland are seriously ill with this virus, as are patients of a wide range of ages. For some of them, their future is uncertain. Everyone I know in health is observing the strictest interpretation of the guidance given. People like the OP worried about their meaningless social events are willing to ignore advice and risk carrying the virus to someone vulnerable in their own lives, or someone elses. Increasing the risk of exposure, serious illness and death to my colleagues. None of the people encouraging OP to go, has had to see firsthand the kind of terror and distress this infection is causing in Irish hospitals for patients and families already. They will encourage OP but won't have to clean up the mess. So OP, no, you shouldnt go. You should be a decent human being and just do nothing for the next few weeks, like everyone was asked to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    As a healthcare worker, I just find the level of selfishness on this thread incredible. Healthcare colleagues in Ireland are seriously ill with this virus, as are patients of a wide range of ages. For some of them, their future is uncertain. Everyone I know in health is observing the strictest interpretation of the guidance given. People like the OP worried about their meaningless social events are willing to ignore advice and risk carrying the virus to someone vulnerable in their own lives, or someone elses. Increasing the risk of exposure, serious illness and death to my colleagues. None of the people encouraging OP to go, has had to see firsthand the kind of terror and distress this infection is causing in Irish hospitals for patients and families already. They will encourage OP but won't have to clean up the mess. So OP, no, you shouldnt go. You should be a decent human being and just do nothing for the next few weeks, like everyone was asked to do..

As a healthcare worker I’m surprised that you don’t already know how obnoxious people actually are.
    In recent years we’ve been conditioned to think only of ourselves and our own pleasure and needs and this last week has exposed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

There’s no point in berating you for asking the question. It’s your friend, so you’re invested in the situation, and none of us here are. So you have a conflict of loyalty.

However, I think you’d be absolutely mad to go. Even if you and your partner are hale and healthy, well you just don’t know - you might get the virus, and have complications. Cases here are escalating in numbers, so you might present symptoms at a time when health services are overwhelmed and getting treated is difficult. But the biggest risk in my book is that you pick up the virus, have symptoms you can cope with - but pass it on to a vulnerable person who can’t cope with it, and they end up seriously ill in hospital (or worse).

To me, the risks far far outweigh the loyalty to your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Imagine you don't go. You stay home. You dont get sick. Nobody you knows gets sick. That's a great situation. And all you have lost is a wedding.

Now imagine you do go. And you come home. And you get sick, or worse, somebody you are in contact with gets sick. And they die. Because that is entirely possible. How would you feel about the wedding then?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭the14thwarrior

if you go, you could seriously find yourself locked out of ireland! i know someone who is a pilot, with aer lingus, told to fly there and bring a months worth of clothes. not sure if they will make it back.

just saying............ you could find yourself in all sorts of predictaments.
    apart from the fact that it is a silly thing to do.
    really silly........... UK has to be one of the worst countries right now to find yourself in.
    i think they are in for a big crisis.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes you are totally mad.Don't do it.

Public gathering of a large amount of people plus travel. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not mad but entirely remorselessly selfish. There are people recovering from cancer who have undergone horrific cures to fight to recover their health and stay alive - they are locked indoors hoping everyone will obey the lockdown and government instructions to stay indoors and keep away from people - the elderly, the vilnerable, the ill, the healthy - all locked indoors yet you want to risk going to the UK for a family gathering and party and the significant risk of bringing it back to the country and spreding ot around even more.

The first people who infected others and who brought it to this country were people just like you - who wanted their ski holiday and thing they had looked forward to
    doing with theor friends - they came back into their schools and solicitors practice in arklow and medical practice in Arklow and hospital in Cork and infected the country. Look where we are now.

Yes - incredibly selfish - yes - you will perpetuate the financial misery being suffered by tens of thousands of families whose businesses are closed and will remain closed the longer this is uncontained and people continue to refuse to stay inside and socially isolate but canter bout between countries to visit friends and go to parties.

If it that special to you ask someone to set up a laptop on the alter and live webstream it to you or googlehangouts or skype it. There are digital alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

The original post was on 14th March. I'd say the Monday in question has come and gone.

Here is another thread set up by OP

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058060289/1/#post112772163

Hmmmmm

• Advertisement

OP, please PM a mod if you need any further advice on this matter. going to close as the Monday is past now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement