Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone give advice please

• 14-03-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hello,I posted this half an hour ago but seems it didnt register.i am on disability allowance through I'll health and mental well being and literally just have a few hundred euros in my bank.i pay my Bill's and food out of my allowance and I am not left with much after it.i recently won a lump sum of money which amounted to thousands but I am genuinely scared to put it in my bank because maybe I am not allowed to have this if I am on disability allowance.i used to work years ago and then was on for jobseekers for a period until eventually I just couldnt do this anymore and I'll health took over my life.i would appreciate it if anybody could advise or help me please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Notmything

Blades77 wrote: »
    hello,I posted this half an hour ago but seems it didnt register.i am on disability allowance through I'll health and mental well being and literally just have a few hundred euros in my bank.i pay my Bill's and food out of my allowance and I am not left with much after it.i recently won a lump sum of money which amounted to thousands but I am genuinely scared to put it in my bank because maybe I am not allowed to have this if I am on disability allowance.i used to work years ago and then was on for jobseekers for a period until eventually I just couldnt do this anymore and I'll health took over my life.i would appreciate it if anybody could advise or help me please.

There is a disregard so depending on the amount it may not affect your payment but it should be declared.

There is a state benefits forum that would be able to offer better advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

How did you 'win' the money? That's important as there may be tax implications depending on what it is. Secondly, since disability is means tested, then you're obliged to tell the social of any capital you have gained as otherwise you could be cut off and prosecuted for failing to make a declaration. It's also worth noting that DoSP are getting much better at clamping down on disability claims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Your other thread posted OP so I've moved posts from here into it and I'll close this one.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement