Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Fair play to the Bus Eireann drivers in Capwell Garage delivering food to the vulnerable in Cork. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I was just think that if going forward public transport have to guarantee 2 metres between meaning that only 18 passengers can travel on a double decker bus then the only taxis that should be allowed to operate are wheelchair accessible taxis and one person per taxi as these are the only taxis in use that 2 metres can be guaranteed between the driver and passenger and be restricted to carrying one person. I somehow can't seeing this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GT89 wrote: »
    I was just think that if going forward public transport have to guarantee 2 metres between meaning that only 18 passengers can travel on a double decker bus then the only taxis that should be allowed to operate are wheelchair accessible taxis and one person per taxi as these are the only taxis in use that 2 metres can be guaranteed between the driver and passenger and be restricted to carrying one person. I somehow can't seeing this happening.

Can you not put a plastic screen behind the driver in a regular taxi?

They also showed a gadget on the RTÉ news being used by car dealers to sanitise cars, probably using UV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just had 3 tourists get on, no money and wanted to travel for free so they could go parks and go around.....

I just asked were they aware of the restrictions and that we are actually in a crisis with a virus......

Oh we didn't know is what I got back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Just had 3 tourists get on, no money and wanted to travel for free so they could go parks and go around.....

I just asked were they aware of the restrictions and that we are actually in a crisis with a virus......

Any idea where they were from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

I hope you told them to f**k off

OscarMIlde wrote: »

Can't say 100% but could have been German, Spanish or even french now that I think of it but definitely not Irish or English as their English wasn't the best ever....

They only had notes and then said oh but you let us go free, eh no you shouldn't be out wandering around and using buses or any public transport....

It actually upset me and annoyed me at the same time as I can't go anywhere the way they've been without been stopped and can only exercise close to home.
    Haven't even seen my dad since the 10th March....

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I hope you told them to f**k off

Not in them words but if I hadn't been caught out so bad now I would...

Really really annoyed over it.

I said there is a pandemic and they shouldn't be going parks or travelling unnecessarily.

Yeah but you eh take us.... I said eh no I don't take eh you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I don't blame you. I think psychologically it's really hard trying to do the right thing all the time, and to see others just break the rules. Especially hard for people like you, who have to go out and face the public and risk catching it, and dopes like those are undermining the efforts of all those who are compliant with the rules. I have to say I'm so grateful to all the Dublin bus drivers still out there, and being so nice and professional throughout this. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I can't understand how there could even be tourists around in the first place! How could anyone be so ignorant as to try and travel abroad right now (unless for an absolute emergency or repatriation obviously)?

It's not exactly as if there have been many flights into the country lately and airport traffic is down 96% (the last time I checked) compared to this time last year, just repatriations and so on.

Makes you wonder why the rest of us are suffering (even though we absolutely must go the distance and stick to the rules right until the very end - the science on this could not be clearer, keeping the reproductive rate below 1 is absolutely vital if we are to stay on top of it).

With the publication of the road map, is it likely that services will be increased soon? Presumably from 9 June onwards this will happen, because it states in the road map that cleaning and timetables will be enhanced to ensure social distancing can be complied with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

OscarMIlde wrote: »

Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Basically anyone not from Ireland and crossed our borders can do what they like and go wherever they like...

The emergency legislation doesn't cover for non nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Basically anyone not from Ireland and crossed our borders can do what they like and go wherever they like...

The emergency legislation doesn't cover for non nationals.

If they are staying here they are under it. Hence all the heat about day trippers from the North. I’m sure the Guards will take an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I noticed a few tourist's myself and was thinking how the hell did they get here I thought all the airports and that were closed across Europe to civilian travel right now?
    If they are staying here they are under it. Hence all the heat about day trippers from the North. I’m sure the Guards will take an interest.

Should also be said that while those from the North arent covered by the restrictions down here they can be fined for breaking restrictions up the North because our lads can pass the info onto the PSNI and they can deal with them for breaking their local restrictions in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

The amount of people in Howth today was shocking. About 20 at bus stop near the train station, I sailed by them all, not risking my life for arseholes out on day trips.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Fair play to you. Some just won't get the message. It infuriates me when people willingly ignore the Science. The restrictions are there for a reason.

Having to say, I go out walking most days and while I thought it was way too busy last weekend, this week it's been very quiet even today and yesterday.

I've noticed that the 16, 17, 75 and 175 are practically empty no matter what time it is (around where I live at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

d51984 wrote: »
    The amount of people in Howth today was shocking. About 20 at bus stop near the train station, I sailed by them all, not risking my life for arseholes out on day trips.

Lot's of people in the phenix park though everyone keeping their distance from one another tho, still it's to be expected to some degree when the good weather comes out, it's kinda why I wish we were getting pissed on with rain atm just to keep people in till this blows over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Zebra3 wrote: »

That nonsense is from the Institute of Fiscal Studies, which should be shortened to FFS.

I hope they reported you then. What an arsehole trick to pull as a driver, how do you know they were not essential workers waiting on a bus to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

salonfire wrote: »
    I hope they reported you then. What an arsehole trick to pull as a driver, how do you know they were not essential workers waiting on a bus to work?

Don't be so naive. There is very limited capacity on buses at the moment and the driver rightly recognised them as non-essential daytrippers. Idiots who are meant to be heeding public health messages to stay at home.

The driver should be commended for being so safety conscious.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can't understand how there could even be tourists around in the first place! How could anyone be so ignorant as to try and travel abroad right now (unless for an absolute emergency or repatriation obviously)?

If I was to guess, I'd say these folks aren't really tourists as such. More likely to be foreigners living in Ireland, maybe English language students. When the schools were closed, their Visas were extended so they could stay here.

I could of course be wrong in this case, but it is more likely then actual tourists flying in. Most flights are currently cancelled and even the ones flying are mostly empty.

Don't be so naive. There is very limited capacity on buses at the moment and the driver rightly recognised them as non-essential daytrippers. Idiots who are meant to be heeding public health messages to stay at home.

If I could thank that post 1000 times I would.

It clearly says on all the bus stops around where I live that bus travel is for essential workers only and you are not to travel unless you absolutely need to.

People making day trips to Howth are neither essential workers nor on essential trips. The question that should be asked is what the hell they were all doing exceeding the 2 km rule?

The driver is a hero.

Ok but out of the 20 people at the bus stop some of them could have been essential workers or shopping for essential items. Not all were daytrippers necessarily. It's not up to bus drivers to enforce rules about essential travel or social distancing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ok but out of the 20 people at the bus stop some of them could have been essential workers or shopping for essential items. Not all were daytrippers necessarily. It's not up to bus drivers to enforce rules about essential travel or social distancing.

Yet bus drivers are ultimately responsible for the welfare of their passengers. If they were already carrying passengers, it's going to be a more immediate issue having to deal with them, than going by a stop that has a high number of people waiting.

I've passed people with cans, unsteady on their feet as obviously intoxicated and some absolutely filthy dirt birds.....

We are still carrying way more then we should as in many that shouldn't be out.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I can't see public transport frequency being brought back nearer to normal for a while yet.

From what I've heard the likes of Airlink, Aircoach and Dublin Express are looking at a July restart at best but are working off the assumption it will probably be sometime in August in reality.

There are said to be some smaller companies in very precarious positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bus Éireann social distancing rules appear to be depot dependent!

One coach had one seat per row altering between left/right excluding the two near the driver while another appeared to have 2-3 rows between seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0505/1136580-nbru-transport-coronavirus/
    Covid-19: NBRU calls for compulsory wearing of face masks

It is also demanding the immediate reintroduction of Monday to Friday schedules with utilisation of all extra fleet to increase capacity, and enable more effective social distancing.

The NBRU is seeking similar protections in both the CIE group companies, and at private sector firm Go-Ahead.

Not often you see them mention their members in Go-Ahead, just waiting for him to praise the great public service those members have been providing...

I will not be purchasing one unless the NBRU want to provide one for me to wear!

• Advertisement

Yet bus drivers are ultimately responsible for the welfare of their passengers. If they were already carrying passengers, it's going to be a more immediate issue having to deal with them, than going by a stop that has a high number of people waiting.

I'm fairly they're only responsible for their safety in the sense of not causing an accident not stopping ilnesses. It cannot be proven you got coronavirus from travelling on a bus. If you could I should be able to sue DB for the cold I got last winter as I was on crowded buses with people coughing and sneezing all around me.

devnull wrote: »
    I can't see public transport frequency being brought back nearer to normal for a while yet.

From what I've heard the likes of Airlink, Aircoach and Dublin Express are looking at a July restart at best but are working off the assumption it will probably be sometime in August in reality.

There are said to be some smaller companies in very precarious positions.

It will depend on how long it will take before the airport is restored to some level of normality. Once people are allowed to move freely around the country the Aircoach Belfast and Cork may restart before the Dublin routes to from the Airport and other intercity operators like JJK, GoBus, Dublin Coach, Citylink etc.

Ashbourne Connect is due to restart on the 18th May so I'd the commuter targeted commercial operators will be first to come back such as the likes of the Swords and Fingal Express. As for PSO routes returning to M-F schedules I'd say that will be once the Saturday timetables fail to have adequate capacity to allow for social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Covid-19: NBRU calls for compulsory wearing of face masks
    Completely agree with them.
    It's something that should have been brought in a month ago, to get people used to them, before restrictions were eased.
    Mandatory cloth masks or better for anyone on any kind of public transport.
    We've seen from China that the 2m social distancing just isn't enough for buses anyway.

They should also look at inspectors to make sure only essential journeys are happening.
    And also temporarily removing the ability to use free travel passes during rush hour, with possible exemptions for necessary cases.

Today is nuts.... It's like the lockdown is no more.....

Traffic, people everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Today is nuts.... It's like the lockdown is no more.....

Traffic, people everywhere

Same yesterday. I've been using the bus morning and evening for work and it's been a ghost town both passenger wise and traffic wise. Traffic was bad yesterday evening, journey took 51 mins instead of usual lockdown time of 20/25 mins. I also had to give out to the parents who let their 8-10 year old child sit in the closed off seats at the front upstairs, twice! What the feck do they think the signs are for like!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0505/1136580-nbru-transport-coronavirus/
    I will not be purchasing one unless the NBRU want to provide one for me to wear!
    Dont be surprised when the bus does not stop to pick you up next week.
    Wear a mask =bus will stop, no mask =drive by stop.
    I will guess drivers have no interest in getting infected because of some ignorant potential passenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

da_miser wrote: »
    I will guess drivers have no interest in getting infected because of some ignorant potential passenger

I doubt that. Unless the company ask for it to happen.

The NBRU will pick something new for their weekly song and dance, to report to the media on Monday.
    They rarely follow through on anything.

If they really want to hit a meaningful topic, it should be the increased volume and the complete lack of Garda bus checks.

What is the point of stopping every car and waving a bus of 20 people through??

da_miser wrote: »

And will you be wearing a mask yourself?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This really isn't some union infighting matter, very sad to see that!!!

This is to do with the health of drivers, the public, health of the economy and potentially long term damage done to public transport.

bk wrote: »

This is to do with the health of drivers, the public, health of the economy and potentially long term damage done to public transport.

My point is if unions are calling for masks to be mandatory I haven't seen too many drivers themselves wearing masks despite them or at least their union supposedly wanting to make it mandatory for passengers to wear them. Which is fair enough I wouldn't wear a mask myself unless it became mandatory but I wouldn't call for someone else to wear one unless I was also someone who wore one.

I wonder does Dermot O'Leary himself wear a mask when he goes out in public? The best thing unions should be calling for to protect drivers would be middle door boarding. Would protect drivers as well as make their job a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

bk wrote: »

Its always about union in fighting. Both never miss an opportunity for a poke as each other.

My point is if unions are calling for masks to be mandatory I haven't seen too many drivers themselves wearing masks despite them or at least their union supposedly wanting to make it mandatory for passengers to wear them. Which is fair enough I wouldn't wear a mask myself unless it became mandatory but I wouldn't call for someone else to wear one unless I was also someone who wore one.

I wonder does Dermot O'Leary himself wear a mask when he goes out in public? The best thing unions should be calling for to protect drivers would be middle door boarding. Would protect drivers as well as make their job a lot easier.

The middle door exit has become normal now. People are getting the message whenever they have to sprint up to the middle when the driver refuses to open the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I pass by Ringsend depot on foot every day, the drivers and others stand in groups right beside each other, none have masks, its a joke.

I'd imagine the issue for drivers is getting masks that are suitable for driving. While basic cotton masks are fine for the public, drivers probably need something better so it doesn't compromise their ability to drive safely.

Of course ideally they should be wearing masks too. But this is all about making a best effort where possible.

Over 500 cases of Covid19 found in meat factories today! Employers need to do far more to protect their staff.

BTW I realise the irony of the fact that I and the NBRU seem to be on the same side of this argument! :D

But this really shouldn't be political, it is about safety.

The middle door exit has become normal now. People are getting the message whenever they have to sprint up to the middle when the driver refuses to open the front.

Hopefully this is something that will remain after corona is a thing and remove all unessecary driver interaction by having everyone tag on at the right hand validator with no cash. Would speed up dwell times a lot and make it easier for drivers.

A lot of cities have moved to rear door boarding. I wonder will this be something that remains perhaps even incorporated into the design of new buses with them being designed more like a train or tram with the driver completely sealed off from the passenger area.

I pass by Ringsend depot on foot every day, the drivers and others stand in groups right beside each other, none have masks, its a joke.

So do gangs of junkies. What's your point?

Idiot.

Charming.

For your information, the wearing of masks is recommended by the HSE to stop the spread of the virus if one is already infected. It does not prevent one from picking up an infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

I work in ringsend garage, you are talking bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Kyleboy wrote: »
    I work in ringsend garage, you are talking bollocks.

I've no reason too.

I've no reason too.

There is around 2.5k drivers so some may be close but not all

I saw an EV parked up at the 46a terminus in Dun Laoghaire yesterday which is strange as I didn't think Donnybrook had any of their single doors out at the moment. The 46a would generally only get dual door buses prior to coronavirus which makes it even more odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I saw an EV parked up at the 46a terminus in Dun Laoghaire yesterday which is strange as I didn't think Donnybrook had any of their single door out at the moment. The 46a would generally only get dual door buses prior to coronavirus which makes it even more odd.

They're busses used as a base for the cleaners

• Advertisement
Advertisement