Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

LastStop wrote: »
    Buses returning to Monday to Friday schedules (Summer schedules on some routes). No mention of removing the restrictions on capacity as social distancing on transportation is in all phases of the road map to reopening the country.

I suspect the 2m will be reduced to 1m in the not too distant future. I've noticed a contradiction in the roadmap in phase 4 and 5.
    Phase 4 wrote:
    Restrictions will gradually be decreased on the numbers travelling in major urban centres on public transport and in private cars.
    Phase 5 wrote:
    Social distancing and hygiene measures are to continue for public and private transport.

How does that make sense how can they lift limits on numbers travelling on public transport then expect to have social distancing? Not very clear is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With air travel set to resume sooner rather than later with current restrictions on public transport it's going to be nigh on impossible to get a lot of people from Dublin airport to the city centre.

They are going to have to relax the distancing rules on buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With air travel set to resume sooner rather than later with current restrictions on public transport it's going to be nigh on impossible to get a lot of people from Dublin airport to the city centre.

They are going to have to relax the distancing rules on buses.

People will simply return to their cars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

yes i can see cars filling the roads now people won't want to get on a dublin bus jammed in like sardines.
    Maybe more cyclists too which would be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    People will simply return to their cars

Good luck to them, even pre covid it was near impossible to get parking in Dublin, that's not going to have changed for the better now.
    Not as easy as saying they'll just go back into their cars.

It's going to be a mess Monday morning. Dublin cant canter for large volumes of additional cars coming into the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Good luck to them, even pre covid it was near impossible to get parking in Dublin, that's not going to have changed for the better now.

It's going to be a mess Monday morning. Dublin cant canter for large volumes of additional cars coming into the city

More so now there is very little street parking left in many locations.

What elsecan they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

It's going to be a mess Monday morning.

Hopefully this isn't true - otherwise, things could get messier for a lot of people.

https://twitter.com/Theunhappyempl1/status/1268602058212618250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Troll, looking at their other tweets

Hopefully this isn't true - otherwise, things could get messier for a lot of people.

https://twitter.com/Theunhappyempl1/status/1268602058212618250

I thought they were threatening to do the same back in March

• Advertisement

I see some GAI buses now have notices on the outside saying they're limited to 17 passengers. Yet to see these notices on any DB buses.

GT89 wrote: »
    I thought they were threatening to do the same back in March

It's the first I've heard of any strike threat. Back in March or April, a driver was sacked over a video he posted on Facebook, but I don't recall any talk of striking. Hopefully this disgruntled employee is just a keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see some GAI buses now have notices on the outside saying they're limited to 17 passengers. Yet to see these notices on any DB buses.

With the number of people going to be forced back in to their cars the councils choices on bike lanes seem very premature.

This could turn quite chaotic from Monday.

People simply wont be able to use buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Surely they should make masks mandatory on public transport and increase nos who can travel on bus. Also enforce cashless fares only.

Not everyone has a car.

How are private commercial operators who don't get a subsidy supposed to stay in business with social distancing in place. They can't possibly make money if they can only let 14 people onto a 54 seater coach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I will need to use the bus for the first time from Monday. I'm very worried about it. My route has better frequency on a Saturday so reverting to a weekday service minus xpressos is disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is it still legally only for essential journeys, or with the restrictions eased can anyone use public transport.

Is it still legally only for essential journeys, or with the restrictions eased can anyone use public transport.

Officially speaking it's essiential journies only. In reality anyone who wants can use it you won't be asked any questions if you get on a bus/train. Nothing illegal about travelling on public transport as essiential journies is a recommendation not a law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ll31 wrote: »
    Surely they should make masks mandatory on public transport and increase nos who can travel on bus. Also enforce cashless fares only.

Not everyone has a car.

WHO advice is now that they're recommended when social distancing is not possible, in places with widespread community transmission.

We don't have the latter anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

With the number of people going to be forced back in to their cars the councils choices on bike lanes seem very premature.

This could turn quite chaotic from Monday.

People simply wont be able to use buses.

With better cycling measures it'll make cycling far safer and accessible and a viable option as opposed to driving. Don't see how emphasising cycling is premature at all. Its about bloody time actually, and pathetic that it took a pandemic to finally prompt action.

• Advertisement

I don't know the full story but I saw a video online that appears to show a BE driver in Galway not taking a cash fare off a customer. Now the guy in the video was being very abusive towards the bus driver but I was wondering are BE drivers allowed to refuse cash during Covid 19 surely if they have to take it and the driver refused then that driver is facing potential displinary problems.

It's a mess this morning, if your not at one of the first few stops on a route don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

It's a mess this morning, if your not at one of the first few stops on a route don't bother
    really that bad?.. not looking forward to the evening run so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As of last Friday, the WHO finally recommend face coverings for all in enclosed spaces, e.g. public transport and shops.

And actually they have gone further, recommending medical masks for 60+ and at risk people.

There was even a pointed comment from the WHO to the people of Ireland that we should all be wearing face coverings despite it not being mandatory here:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0606/1145825-coronavirus-facemasks-who/

Ireland has been very much out of step and WAY behind the curve on this matter and now it looks like the government and Irish health authorities will come under much greater pressure to make it mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bk wrote: »
    As of last Friday, the WHO finally recommend face coverings for all in enclosed spaces, e.g. public transport and shops.

And actually they have gone further, recommending medical masks for 60+ and at risk people.

There was even a pointed comment from the WHO to the people of Ireland that we should all be wearing face coverings despite it not being mandatory here:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0606/1145825-coronavirus-facemasks-who/

Ireland has been very much out of step and WAY behind the curve on this matter and now it looks like the government and Irish health authorities will come under much greater pressure to make it mandatory.

I'm not using public transport at the moment but I always wear a mask into shops, I'd say only 10 to 15% max of Irish people bother doing it, it's so selfish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Any pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

https://twitter.com/McGrathDominic/status/1269898968500240386?s=19

Seems to be the general theme I've seen on social media.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What? :confused:

It's entirely because of this issue that the council have made these choices on bike lanes. There is not enough space for everyone to drive into the city, so the council have had to make choices that will more easily facilitate forms of transport that take up less road space i.e. cycling and walking.

john boye wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/McGrathDominic/status/1269898968500240386?s=19

Seems to be the general theme I've seen on social media.

Depends on the routes, a quick look at Dublin bus socal media will tell a different story.

The route I took this morning was leaving people behind most of the day.

There's a noticeable uptake as the morning has gone on, dublin city centre is fairly busy

• Advertisement

A couple of buses passed me by today. The bus I got on had more than 17 but not too bad. Tbh, it's a bit of a nightmare to have a bus pass by on a route with only 30min frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should just abandon the social distancing restrictions on public transport and instead make it mandatory to wear masks/face coverings. There's zero policing of current rules and they are being openly broken.

Natchoman wrote: »
    On a DB this morning, once the bus had the i guess 17 on the driver just kept passing people at stops, when some would get off he would let the same amount on, passengers above the 17 who tried to get on where met with a firm NO, bus full, one man ignored the driver and got on , driver shut of the engine and said bus going nowhere till the man gets of, bit of shouting from man, this is ridiculous and so on, he got ZERO support from people on board or those at the stop, he got off and bus started up and on we went.
    Fair play to the driver, if that idiot dont want to follow the rules leave him behind.

That driver is an idiot and only creating hassle for himself. If he was worried about the virus he was putting himself at more risk by confronting the man. It should not be a drivers job to enforce social distancing.

Tbh I'd be worried for my safety if the driver was precisely counting the number of passengers on the bus like that. As a driver concerned about the number of people on the bus is not a driver fully focused on the road.

That driver is an idiot and only creating hassle for himself. If he was worried about the virus he was putting himself at more risk by confronting the man. It should not be a drivers job to enforce social distancing.

Tbh I'd be worried for my safety if the driver was precisely counting the number of passengers on the bus like that. As a driver concerned about the number of people on the bus is not a driver fully focused on the road.

The driver is completely correct. Trust me, it can create lot more hassle if people start complaining that you've overloaded a bus. Switching the engine off and waiting passively is generally the best way of diffusing situations where someone thinks rules don't apply to them.

Also, keeping a count of how many people are getting off isn't hugely taxing. The Wayfarer machine counts who gets on, so that's half the job done from the outset.

The driver is completely correct. Trust me, it can create lot more hassle if people start complaining that you've overloaded a bus. Switching the engine off and waiting passively is generally the best way of diffusing situations where someone thinks rules don't apply to them.

Also, keeping a count of how many people are getting off isn't hugely taxing. The Wayfarer machine counts who gets on, so that's half the job done from the outset.

If they complain why can't you just offer them the number to forward the complaint and if they don't feel safe offer to let them off at the nearest safe location and if they start getting abusive then that's when to start looking at turning off the engine and waiting for the Guards. Either you're not going to please everybody.

If it's company policy for drivers not to let more than 17 on board which I somehow doubt it is then fair enough. If I was a bus driver I'd be doing the job in the least confrontational way possible recognising the fact you can't please everyone. If the driver tells someone they can't get onboard then that's just looking for trouble before it even happens.

If they complain why can't you just offer them the number to forward the complaint and if they don't feel safe offer to let them off at the nearest safe location and if they start getting abusive then that's when to start looking at turning off the engine and waiting for the Guards. Either you're not going to please everybody.

If it's company policy for drivers not to let more than 17 on board which I somehow doubt it is then fair enough. If I was a bus driver I'd be doing the job in the least confrontational way possible recognising the fact you can't please everyone. If the driver tells someone they can't get onboard then that's just looking for trouble before it even happens.

It's company policy.

EZ-rNceXYAE0UTv?format=jpg&name=small

Nine times out of ten, there is no trouble because most people are reasonable enough to accept that they won't be boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

sociel1.jpg
    socila2.jpg

I'm glad drivers are for the most part enforcing the limit on passengers. I just wish they would increase frequency on the route to try compensate. The Saturday service has better frequency - even if they go back to that! I will probably have to switch to taxis. I know they advise leaving extra time but with 30min frequency that means leaving 90mins extra to allow for full buses. That's not viable.

sociel1.jpg
    socila2.jpg

I didn't know that as last time I was on a DB bus those notices weren't there yet. I don't agree with putting the onus on drivers to enforce these rules it should be up to passengers if they don't feel comfortable like on the DART/Luas.

I'm glad drivers are for the most part enforcing the limit on passengers. I just wish they would increase frequency on the route to try compensate. The Saturday service has better frequency - even if they go back to that! I will probably have to switch to taxis. I know they advise leaving extra time but with 30min frequency that means leaving 90mins extra to allow for full buses. That's not viable.

There simply aren't enough buses. Although there are a lot of unemployed bus and coach drivers around at the moment, and a lot of private companies with vehicles lying idle. I wonder, is there anything at all to be said for drafting them in to assist as things get busier?

There simply aren't enough buses. Although there are a lot of unemployed bus and coach drivers around at the moment, and a lot of private companies with vehicles lying idle. I wonder, is there anything at all to be said for drafting them in to assist as things get busier?

That's why the Xpressos were cut out so they could provide extra capacity

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm supportive of anything that tries to accommodate as many as possible safely. Use army or civil defence if necessary! But this route has operated 20min frequency all through lockdown and today is only 30mins. Logically it was never going to work!

DB should be hiring private coaches. This can’t go on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A very good idea, the downside would be the big cost to the government to subsidise that and the other issue is that mostly the rest of the industry are coaches, which aren't well suited to city services. But could be a good idea to support BE type services and perhaps to support commuter trains and keep them quieter too.

What I expect to see happen over the next few days/weeks is a much harder line taken on face coverings. We are likely to see an easing of distance restrictions on public transport *, but replaced with mandatory mask wearing, following the example of what is currently happening in the UK, weeks if not months after the rest of much of mainland Europe.

* I don't think we will see a return to full crush conditions. But instead perhaps a 50% reduction, seated passengers only, no standing. With face coverings mandatory of course. That would be inline with what is being recommended for aircraft.

Of course health authorities would be monitoring it very closely to see if people are actually following the rules and if face coverings are actually working and if there are any noticeable superspreader events linked to public transport/flights.

A very good idea, the downside would be the big cost to the government to subsidise that and the other issue is that mostly the rest of the industry are coaches, which aren't well suited to city services. But could be a good idea to support BE type services and perhaps to support commuter trains and keep them quieter too.

There are a fair few ex-Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann buses out there too. Expensive and not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

dlpuZxXm.jpg

69X was empty this morning and sailed into Heuston in 20 mins from Clondalkin. I wouldn't usually get a seat back when no social distancing was in place, so was a pleasant surprise!

13 this evening was full by James Street. Driver had me go upstairs and count how many passengers were up there. I said it was full and we drove by stops with passengers with hands out until Woodford in Clondalkin. Traffic was bad too.

YS4Ouf8m.jpg

There are a fair few ex-Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann buses out there too. Expensive and not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.

Now that you mention it, there are about 50 or so buses in storage/for sale in DB depots, plus a bunch more used for training, etc. So if they are in operable condition then bringing in extra drivers to operate those might help on busy routes.

I'd wonder if they still have their ticket machines or are they transferred to new buses, that would also be an issue for any other operators hired in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

VTs back out on the 39s as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Finding the comments hilarious on this....

Until it's found it safe then I'm sticking with the trained and educated health officials....

Saying that I was on a bus earlier and he kept stopping and picking up more, he had 33 on board.
    We should have followed New Zealand and their approach, they are covid free and only one outstanding case I believe.
    See this is it Ireland and many others don't think rules apply and sure here was and is a joke.

Groups of kids, very young too out alone and getting on buses and trains etc.... Essential travel is still in place why is this been allowed carry on....

I don't want to catch this virus or pass it on to family so please please listen and follow the advice....

This could end up exploding for a 2nd round and how will people feel then having to shut down even harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

33 is a reasonable number to have onboard.

There is a lot of talk about making face masks compulsory but those kicking up a fuss have not confirmed if they will support removing all capacity restrictions on public transport if wearing becomes legal.

Now that you mention it, there are about 50 or so buses in storage/for sale in DB depots, plus a bunch more used for training, etc. So if they are in operable condition then bringing in extra drivers to operate those might help on busy routes.

I'd wonder if they still have their ticket machines or are they transferred to new buses, that would also be an issue for any other operators hired in.

They could suspend the Airlinks for longer and use the Airlink buses as extras on regular routes this is already done on the 16. The NTA could also loan some VWDs from BE and use them on DB and GAI routes and replace the BE buses with coaches and/or ex DB buses. As it would be more common for BE to use hire ins and coaches would be more suitable for the BE routes.

Should the capacity restrictions be prolonged they could cancel the withdrawal of buses and use the hybrids they're getting as additional buses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement