Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

LastStop wrote: »
    And that there is why the world is struggling to control the virus.

This is what they thought, it can now stay air born for quite some time.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is what they thought, it can now stay air born for quite some time.....

Yes, this is currently the major debate going on in the medical/scientific community. It increasingly looks like that it is in fact airborne/aerosol and not just droplets.

It is partly why much of the public health advice has been gradually moving away from washing your hands. Hand to mouth transmission, while still possible, looks not to be the primary means of transmission *

That is why the emphasis has now switched to social distancing and mask wearing.

* You should still of course wash your hands carefully, you can still get it that way. But social distancing and wearing a mask is much more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

GT89 wrote: »
    You can pass out due to the heat. Go outside on a warm day covered head to toe and you increase your chances of passing out due the heat compared to wearing shorts and a tshirt. Common sense. Your going to keep cooler by not wearing a mask.

NHS Website
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fainting/

Did you ask for a mask in the shop, and someone sold you a scuba diving rebreather?

The amount of heat insulation from a cotton surgical mask is feck all, compared to a hi-viz, or a suit jacket, or work gloves.

I've worn those cotton masks on workdays for 11 hours a day and the worst effect from it is having muffled speech, due to my lazy lack of elocution.

How many staff in a shop compared to customers? Some customers won't be wearing them anyway so putting other customers and staff at risk by not wearing. Thought masks worked so long as the majority of people wore them so if 80% wear them then that's enough. Most customers wear them but staff don't.

Retail staff in the UK don't have to wear them so it's hardly a big deal to make staff exempt.

If the 20% that don't wear masks are careless when travelling, working, socializing and in the vicinity of vulnerable people, then the infection ratio will remain high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

You can pass out due to the heat. Go outside on a warm day covered head to toe and you increase your chances of passing out due the heat compared to wearing shorts and a tshirt. Common sense. Your going to keep cooler by not wearing a mask.
    This is just absolutely mad. I'm in HK, where it's at least 32 degrees every day currently. Mask usage is as close to 100% as you're gonna get......and nobody is passing out from overheating due to masks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The return of Aircoach 700 service looks to be delayed further. Initially it was pencilled in as 3rd August but now their website states that it will hopefully be sometime in August.

Route 704X/705X will restart with a limited timetable on 27th July as planned.

Aircoach have now posted a video on measures they are taking on-board.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Seen a 75 today in DL displaying "Sorry- Bus Full" are they beginning to struggle with capacity again even with the revised limits. Most of the passengers looked to be teenagers not wearing masks aswell

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

151 at 4pm going out to Foxborough was rammed full in the bottom. Wife was coming back from Coombe and she was in disbelief the driver kept letting people on.

151 at 4pm going out to Foxborough was rammed full in the bottom. Wife was coming back from Coombe and she was in disbelief the driver kept letting people on.

37 is the limit now it was just 17. If there were too many people downstairs there may have been plenty of space upstairs. Either way 100% of the bus needs to be in use by the time the schools and colleges go back.

Another thing if people expect bus drivers to enforce the wearing of masks should you not also expect bus drivers to enforce the use of the wheelchair space by buggies and if not why not. After putting more thought into the mandatory use of masks it's more like buggies vs wheelchair users rather say smoking, fare evasion etc. as it's more a grey area than straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Word is Irish Rail to resume a full timetable within the next week. All they need to do now is operate at 100% capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Including Waterford Limerick and Nenagh Ballybrophy? Don't think I was the only one expecting closure by stealth there so that would be surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Are the shops/food outlets open in heuston these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

37 is the limit now it was just 17. If there were too many people downstairs there may have been plenty of space upstairs. Either way 100% of the bus needs to be in use by the time the schools and colleges go back.

How can older people returning to work in their 9-5 jobs & healthcare workers accept the idea that young people under 13 years old are currently exempt from wearing face masks & using PT once their school is back open in September. The government in this case would need to look at updating legislation for anyone 13 years old to wear face coverings on PT once they return to school immediately even if it's done on a part-time basis. Kids living here in this country are not really immune from getting coronavirus because a lot of young people within their own age group while under the age of 18 were diagnosed with Covid.

There is a high likelihood that if any secondary school student gets on a double deck bus during a pandemic; my guess is that they have to follow the same procedures when adults have to board the bus during this pandemic. The kids returning to school or college would have to comply with rules once they enter a bus like boarding it at the front doors to pay their fare & then exit through the middle doors all the time once they arrive at their bus stops.

To have buses or trains returning to 100% full capacity during the school/college season is not really a runner either when people are only following a mix of official health guidelines and laws on wearing face masks in PT during Covid. It doesn't give passengers any form of official protection from Covid if there is no vaccine available to get rid of it. People can still catch symptoms of the virus once they are in enclosed crowded areas.

Buses & trains in that sense would only have to use all remaining seats for seated passengers who can use these services. But no passengers should be allowed to stand in buses or trains while any passenger can still be at risk of getting Covid. It will allow some form of social distancing to continue among passengers who are in older age groups. It will also allow bus passengers to exit the middle doors of a double deck bus in a safe manner once they can get off at their bus stop.

Similar entry & exit procedures will also have to be applied when people are using IE & Luas services when our peak work season returns in the autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

How can older people returning to work in their 9-5 jobs & healthcare workers accept the idea that young people under 13 years old are currently exempt from wearing face masks & using PT once their school is back open in September. The government in this case would need to look at updating legislation for anyone 13 years old to wear face coverings on PT once they return to school immediately even if it's done on a part-time basis. Kids living here in this country are not really immune from getting coronavirus because a lot of young people within their own age group while under the age of 18 were diagnosed with Covid.

I think 6 is the age face masks have to worn from is some European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

VG31 wrote: »

Good idea. Do you know which countries have these rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Good idea. Do you know which countries have these rules?

I can't remember off the top of my head. It might have been Spain or Italy, even Germany perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Addle wrote: »
    Are the shops/food outlets open in heuston these days?

M&S, Easons, Food Place next to Pizza, and the newsagents are closed. The rest are open.

VG31 wrote: »

The whole face mask thing is completely unenforceable as has been shown due to the lack of Garda enforcement and the numerous exemptions. Impossible to expect public transport staff to challenge passengers who claim they are exempt from having to wear them or those who take them off once onboard or sat down.

There is a high likelihood that if any secondary school student gets on a double deck bus during a pandemic; my guess is that they have to follow the same procedures when adults have to board the bus during this pandemic. The kids returning to school or college would have to comply with rules once they enter a bus like boarding it at the front doors to pay their fare & then exit through the middle doors all the time once they arrive at their bus stops.

Yes getting off at the rear doors is a non issue and should be standard practice cv19 or not. Not all buses have rear doors though a good chunk of the DB fleet is single door (AX, EV, VT and VG) and the GAI streetlites are also single doors.
    To have buses or trains returning to 100% full capacity during the school/college season is not really a runner either when people are only following a mix of official health guidelines and laws on wearing face masks in PT during Covid. It doesn't give passengers any form of official protection from Covid if there is no vaccine available to get rid of it. People can still catch symptoms of the virus once they are in enclosed crowded areas.

Compliance is relatively high at a guess I would say it would be around 70-80% from the buses and trains I have seen and been on since it was signed into law. Of course there will be some who won't but most are
    Buses & trains in that sense would only have to use all remaining seats for seated passengers who can use these services. But no passengers should be allowed to stand in buses or trains while any passenger can still be at risk of getting Covid. It will allow some form of social distancing to continue among passengers who are in older age groups. It will also allow bus passengers to exit the middle doors of a double deck bus in a safe manner once they can get off at their bus stop.

Passengers are allowed stand already the limit on a double decker bus is 37 which means 31 seated and 6 standing. Luas and trains also allow standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

The whole face mask thing is completely unenforceable as has been shown due to the lack of Garda enforcement and the numerous exemptions. Impossible to expect public transport staff to challenge passengers who claim they are exempt from having to wear them or those who take them off once onboard or sat down.

You keep repeating this sh1te. Are you trying to wind people up or what?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

You keep repeating this sh1te. Are you trying to wind people up or what?

No I'm pointing out it can't be enforced. Do you think it be enforced if yes please enlighten me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    Including Waterford Limerick and Nenagh Ballybrophy? Don't think I was the only one expecting closure by stealth there so that would be surprising

Not those but they won't close.

They have started to load a near full schedule for Galway/Waterford/Rosslare and Tralee (direct) resuming between Thursday and Monday. Presumably Cork and other's will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I had reason to get a 16 and 56A yesterday morning. One hundred per cent compliance on both routes. I even saw full compliance on the 27!

This nonsense about it being unenforceable has got to stop, people are wearing them and I've seen even just walking about the place that people have their masks ready for when their bus is due to arrive.

Then again the poster in question was quoting Dolores Cahill of so called Irish Freedom Party fame as a reputable source on face coverings and Covid in general, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at these types of posts :rolleyes:.

I had reason to get a 16 and 56A yesterday morning. One hundred per cent compliance on both routes. I even saw full compliance on the 27!

This nonsense about it being unenforceable has got to stop, people are wearing them and I've seen even just walking about the place that people have their masks ready for when their bus is due to arrive.

Then again the poster in question was quoting Dolores Cahill of so called Irish Freedom Party fame as a reputable source on face coverings and Covid in general, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised at these types of posts :rolleyes:.

Well there you go most people are complying and I have noticed the exact same most people are wearing face coverings. All I am pointing out is it is impossible to enforce if there 100% compliance great but that's because people want to wear masks and want to comply with the govt. guidelines. This is because of buy in from the general public rather than enforcement.

It's unenforceable in the sense that if one or two people don't wear it there's nothing to stop them boarding or removing them once onboard but the vast majority are wearing them so perhaps not really an issue.

Noticed a huge change as the days went on... There are definitely more with masks then not and I'm aware some drivers are questioning others aren't....
    I've heard passengers comment and say it to those without they would rather they wear one or that they are uncomfortable etc etc....

With the surge again in the likes of the US it does seem this virus is here to stay if it can.

Great to see the compliance.

Noticed a huge change as the days went on... There are definitely more with masks then not and I'm aware some drivers are questioning others aren't....
    I've heard passengers comment and say it to those without they would rather they wear one or that they are uncomfortable etc etc....

With the surge again in the likes of the US it does seem this virus is here to stay if it can.

Great to see the compliance.

Yes I saw one driver asking a passenger did he have a mask when the guy politely informed the driver he was medically exempt no further questions were asked and was waved on. Btw this driver was wearing a mask I think it would be a bit odd for a driver who's not wearing one to ask a passenger to wear one.

I still some people not wearing them it looks like it's mostly groups of teenagers and I am guessing there are some people who take them off if the bus is quiet as I've seen a few buses with only 3 or 4 passengers with low compliance so it can vary really.

Yes I saw one driver asking a passenger did he have a mask when the guy politely informed the driver he was medically exempt no further questions were asked and was waved on. Btw this driver was wearing a mask I think it would be a bit odd for a driver who's not wearing one to ask a passenger to wear one.

I still some people not wearing them it looks like it's mostly groups of teenagers and I am guessing there are some people who take them off if the bus is quiet as I've seen a few buses with only 3 or 4 passengers with low compliance so it can vary really.

Wouldn't be weird at all to be honest as the driver isn't in on top of the others... I'm honestly not comfortable driving while wearing and find it messes with my eyes even with it on correctly and grooved in around my nose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

I get mostly 100% face wearing on my bus until yesterday when a gentleman (UK accent) told me I wasn't medically trained and I was only an F***ing bus driver. He delayed the bus for 10 minutes continued to call me lovely names and again you're only a bus F***ing driver.. I then asked him to leave in Irish agus as Bearla (not sure he understood the latter) and I only asked him if he could where a face covering. The joys of driving the 46. :-).

ITV2 wrote: »
    I get mostly 100% face wearing on my bus until yesterday when a gentleman (UK accent) told me I wasn't medically trained and I was only an F***ing bus driver. He delayed the bus for 10 minutes continued to call me lovely names and again you're only a bus F***ing driver.. I then asked him to leave in English agus as Bearla (not sure he understood the latter) and I only asked him if he could where a face covering. The joys of driving the 46. :-).

Bullsh1t.

This should be filed in the did not happen pile.

I doubt you spoke to him in Irish if you don't know the difference between as Bearla and as Gaeilge

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be weird at all to be honest as the driver isn't in on top of the others... I'm honestly not comfortable driving while wearing and find it messes with my eyes even with it on correctly and grooved in around my nose.....

I'm well aware of that and can fully understand why drivers don't wear them. I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in a sweaty cab all day whilst wearing a mask.

I get mostly 100% face wearing on my bus until yesterday when a gentleman (UK accent) told me I wasn't medically trained and I was only an F***ing bus driver. He delayed the bus for 10 minutes continued to call me lovely names and again you're only a bus F***ing driver.. I then asked him to leave in English agus as Bearla (not sure he understood the latter) and I only asked him if he could where a face covering. The joys of driving the 46. :-).

If that's the kind of reaction you get to asking someone to wear a mask and I can fully understand why drivers aren't going to bother asking people or even informing people that it's mandatory. If almost 100% of people are complying it's likely going to be some nutjob like the guy you're talking about that isn't going to comply with it.

I personally think the Gardai need to be on buses more often and failing that there should be some sort of security like on the Luas.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Bullsh1t.

This should be filed in the did not happen pile.

I doubt you spoke to him in Irish if you don't know the difference between as Bearla and as Gaeilge

Oh yeah that's right it didn't happen... I'll let the Gardai and my controller and the people on the bus who had to wait for 10 minutes on the N.C.R. yesterday know it was all bull**** and didn't happen. according to you.

Oh yeah that's right it didn't happen... I'll let the Gardai and my controller and the people on the bus who had to wait for 10 minutes on the N.C.R. yesterday know it was all bull**** and didn't happen. according to you.

Cool story bro.

You are a spoofer and you got caught out in a lie. Morto.

if ya say so sis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

if ya say so sis.

Don't worry, that person just doesn't like bus drivers for some reason :)

• Advertisement

I'm not really bothered who likes me tbh..ðŸ‘

Not quite sure how you jumped to that conclusion. In fact I stated quite the opposite in previous posts.

I do however have a low tolerance for people that talk rubbish and make up stories to try and backup their nonsensical position. A lot of which has happened on this thread. A great portion of it from a small few bus drivers unfortunately.

The previous poster was caught out in a clear lie. Saying that he spoke to a person in Irish that was causing a fuss, despite the fact that he does not know the actual Irish word for 'Irish'. So I don't believe a word of their story.

Not much more to say.

I'm staying outta this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

Not quite sure how you jumped to that conclusion. In fact I stated quite the opposite in previous posts.

I do however have a low tolerance for people that talk rubbish and make up stories to try and backup their nonsensical position. A lot of which has happened on this thread. A great portion of it from a small few bus drivers unfortunately.

The previous poster was caught out in a clear lie. Saying that he spoke to a person in Irish that was causing a fuss, despite the fact that he does not know the actual Irish word for 'Irish'. So I don't believe a word of their story.

Not much more to say.

Not sure what your problem is here exactly. Your position is that drivers should be enforcing mask usage. Which is exactly what the driver tried to do in this instance? And when he wouldn't wear one the driver took action. What's your issue exactly?

john boye wrote: »
    Not sure what your problem is here exactly. Your position is that drivers should be enforcing mask usage. Which is exactly what the driver tried to do in this instance? And when he wouldn't wear one the driver took action. What's your issue exactly?

I couldn't be bothered going through it again, its old ground. Read through my previous posts, my position is clear.

• Advertisement

I couldn't be bothered going through it again, its old ground. Read through my previous posts, my position is clear.

So I made a typo error in my post and you make drama out of it.. Good for you ðŸ‘.. Now I've a lot of pax to bring home.. tráthnóna maith( in Irish.) or was that as bearla.. prynhawn Da.

So I made a typo error in my post and you make drama out of it.. Good for you ðŸ‘.. Now I've a lot of pax to bring home.. tráthnóna maith( in Irish.) or was that as bearla.. prynhawn Da.

Mistaking Bearla for Gaeilge is not a typo.

Mistaking Bearla for Gaeilge is not a typo.
    Now corrected Bro/Sis.. I asked my British Irish speaking husband for guidance...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Less squabbling and having digs at each other and that applies to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Hi guys,
    I’m planning to use a Bus Eireann regional service tomorrow and don’t have a leap card.
    Are they not accepting cash at all?
    Not sure I can travel if that is the case.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I’m planning to use a Bus Eireann regional service tomorrow and don’t have a leap card.
    Are they not accepting cash at all?
    Not sure I can travel if that is the case.

Ring them and ask. I think they are but this may be at the drivers discretion. I saw a video of a passenger with cash being refused on a city bus in Galway about a month back but it appears it was just that induvidual driver as other drivers were accepting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

The smart drivers have figured out it best not to stop if potential passenger is not wearing a mask, no chance of a confrontation that way.

No I'm pointing out it can't be enforced. Do you think it be enforced if yes please enlighten me?

Don't stop the bus to pick these people up, simple!
    The others at the stop will soon tell the no mask people to Fxxx off or get a mask

Seen the same thing, the driver replied " Well my health is more important that yours, get the next bus because you aint getting on this one".
    He got off.

engleburt wrote: »
    The smart drivers have figured out it best not to stop if potential passenger is not wearing a mask, no chance of a confrontation that way.

What if the passenger has a medical exemption? How is the driver supposed to know if they just sail past the stop?

• Advertisement
Advertisement