Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

GT89 wrote: »
    What if the passenger has a medical exemption? How is the driver supposed to know if they just sail past the stop?

Driver health trumps potential passengers!
    Virus dont care if you are a special case, it will still infect you.
    Why should driver take a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

engleburt wrote: »
    Driver health trumps potential passengers!
    Virus dont care if you are a special case, it will still infect you.
    Why should driver take a chance.

Well nothing stopping the passenger taking off the mask once past the driver and sat down. What if the passenger complains? Could the driver not get into trouble if they're constantly skipping stops without following DB policy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

Well nothing stopping the passenger taking off the mask once past the driver and sat down. What if the passenger complains? Could the driver not get into trouble if they're constantly skipping stops without following DB policy?

Law of the land is mask required to travel on bus.
    Driver told avoid confrontation .
    No mask, no stop, no confrontation, no problem.
    Have head of no driver getting in trouble .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Standing at the bus stop is not “travel on bus”. So why would someone have a mask on standing in the fresh air??

So you know each person at the stop is over 13 and dosen't fit into one of the following

(a) the person cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering – (i) because of any physical or mental illness, impairment, or disability, or (ii) without severe distress,

(b) the person needs to communicate with a person who has difficulties communicating (in relation to speech, language or otherwise)

(c) the person removes the face covering to provide emergency assistance or to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person

(d) the person removes the face covering to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury

(e) the person removes the face covering in order to, and only for the time required to, take medication

https://www.transportforireland.ie/covid-19-updates-face-coverings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Seems to be a conflict where public transport providers are still saying essential travel only yet government is trying to promote holidays at home, complete mess.

Seems to be a conflict where public transport providers are still saying essential travel only yet government is trying to promote holidays at home, complete mess.

The government are saying essiential travel only not operators. I'm sure operators want to be able to claw back some revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

You're coming off as the height of arrogant, busses not stopping because of someone with no mask is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What if the passenger has a medical exemption? How is the driver supposed to know if they just sail past the stop?

Who in their right mind with a "medical exemption" is travelling on buses without a mask? Complete red herring, only people not willing to wear a mask are the selfish and anti social.

• Advertisement

Who in their right mind with a "medical exemption" is travelling on buses without a mask? Complete red herring, only people not willing to wear a mask are the selfish and anti social.

I'm not stating opinion I'm stating what the law states. You might prefer if the law says everyone must wear a mask with no acceptions but it doesn't. If that's what you want why don't you campaign for the law to be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

And the 'I know my rights' brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

How is mask wearing practically 100% in Asian countries? Do they have less underlying conditions that prevent mask wearing than us?

VG31 wrote: »
    How is mask wearing practically 100% in Asian countries? Do they have less underlying conditions that prevent mask wearing than us?

They're not required by law in most Asian countries. China requires them the likes of S.Korea and Japan don't afaik. I think I'm happy not to have a communist dictatorship with a social credits systems thank you very much

You've been to practically 100% of places in Asia?? Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ITV2 wrote: »
    And the 'I know my rights' brigade.

Leaving the Facecovering issue aside for a while,it can be worth pausing for thought on where Ireland currently stands in relation to this Pandemic.

Our total population currently stands at 4,941,636 (https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/ireland-population/)

Our total confirmed CV-19 infection number is 25,845. (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/)

Irelands current number of active CV-19 cases is 718. (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/)

Total CV-19 related deaths ( inc probable & possible) 1,763.

More current Statistics available here : https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Total Tests to date 592,202

Total positives 29,044

Overall Positive rate 4.9%

Irelands current positive test rate over the past 7 days is 0.7%

Plenty of other things out there worthy of a bit of worry and fear also,but which now appear not to count.

The greatest fear,is fear itself.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmToeytaVoc

Now,currently,my main concern is.....what's for lunch ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Because it's all bull****, it's been proven numerous times by doctors that masks don't restrict your breathing.

Most people who claim they have an "underlying condition" because they don't like the feeling of the mask on their face, they are like spoilt babies...

Heard from a friend of mine who works in the airport that some DB drivers on the 16 and 41 were refusing passengers who had come in on flights

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Heard from a friend of mine who works in the airport that some DB drivers on the 16 and 41 were refusing passengers who had come in on flights

I work on the 16 and I did not see one person being refused on the so called routes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there AlekSmart. Our numbers are currently relatively low because of the extreme measures we have taken to limit it's spread. With most people isolating at home for a couple on months and now some less extreme measures including social distancing and mask wearing.

All you have to do is look to the US/Brazil/etc. to see how much worse it would be if we don't take the danger seriously and half arse it with lockdowns/masks, etc.

Honestly I have to laugh every time you post those numbers (not that any of this is a laughing matter). You seem to post them thinking they show it isn't very dangerous, but your numbers posted actually show it to be incredibly dangerous and pretty horrifying.

Based on the numbers you posted above, we are currently seeing a mortality rate of just under 7%. To put that in context, lets say everyone in Ireland got this virus and the mortality rate remained at 7%, then we would have 343,000 deaths in Ireland alone!

Now that is most likely not the real mortality rate, due to people with mild cases not getting tested. 1 to 2% mortality rate overall seems to be the rough consensus. But that would still result in between 50,000 to 100,000 deaths in Ireland!

What your numbers actually show is the need to not be complacent. The need to keep up the effort to limit the spread of this virus and try and keep the numbers low. To keep up reasonable social distancing and to wear masks where social distancing isn't possible.

bk wrote: »
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there AlekSmart. Our numbers are currently relatively low because of the extreme measures we have taken to limit it's spread. With most people isolating at home for a couple on months and now some less extreme measures including social distancing and mask wearing.

All you have to do is look to the US/Brazil/etc. to see how much worse it would be if we don't take the danger seriously and half arse it with lockdowns/masks, etc.

Honestly I have to laugh every time you post those numbers. You seem to post them thinking they show it isn't very dangerous, but your numbers posted actually show it to be incredibly dangerous and pretty horrifying.

Based on the numbers you posted above, we are currently seeing a mortality rate of just under 7%. To put that in context, lets say everyone in Ireland got this virus and the mortality rate remained at 7%, then we would have 343,000 deaths in Ireland alone!

Now that is most likely not the real mortality rate, due to people with mild cases not getting tested. 1 to 2% mortality rate overall seems to be the rough consensus. But that would still result in between 50,000 to 100,000 deaths in Ireland!

What your numbers actually show is the need to not be complacent. The need to keep up the effort to limit the spread of this virus and try and keep the numbers low. To keep up reasonable social distancing and to wear masks where social distancing isn't possible.

I fully appreciate your points,but we differ in our approach and attitude for sure.

As you are no doubt aware,there were such predictions at the outset,of 120,000 Irish deaths,along with 1.7 Million UK victims,a situation which we managed in our divergent ways to avoid.

You describe our "lockdown" as being extreme,which I do not feel to be accurate.

Our NPHET measures were in the main voluntary,and did not involve significant enforcement from Gardai or,as some were suggesting at the outset,Military involvement.

Even now,we see no actual central thrust to rigidly enforce policies,but instead, a continuing appeal to be careful and cooperative.

I work alongside many who are of your opinion and I accept that,however when they seek to implement the full-on Zero Tolerance approach,with intense scrutiny of Customers and highly confrontational interactions with people,I leave them to their own devices.

It is as if a certain element of society relishes and quickly seizes an opportunity to be In-Charge,usually quoting other administrations success due to rigid lockdown policies (which is often not the case).

Our original,and current CV-19 strategy has ensured that :
    We have not been overrun.
    We are not currently overrun.
    Current projections sughgest we shall not be overrun.

I'm personally satisfied that our Irish Solution to a Worldwide problem,has worked,and is working for US as a country.

It can be argued that generational/ageist cooperation and compliance is now becoming the largest single issue in containing and controlling the CV-19 situation Worldwide,which is perhaps a largely unaddressed situation which could present substantial difficulties.

Either way,we differ in our approach,and there we have it,I've managed to survive another day out amongst the infection,and so have you...so c'est la vie ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I fully appreciate your points,but we differ in our approach and attitude for sure.

As you are no doubt aware,there were such predictions at the outset,of 120,000 Irish deaths,along with 1.7 Million UK victims,a situation which we managed in our divergent ways to avoid.

You describe our "lockdown" as being extreme,which I do not feel to be accurate.

Our NPHET measures were in the main voluntary,and did not involve significant enforcement from Gardai or,as some were suggesting at the outset,Military involvement.

Even now,we see no actual central thrust to rigidly enforce policies,but instead, a continuing appeal to be careful and cooperative.

I work alongside many who are of your opinion and I accept that,however when they seek to implement the full-on Zero Tolerance approach,with intense scrutiny of Customers and highly confrontational interactions with people,I leave them to their own devices.

It is as if a certain element of society relishes and quickly seizes an opportunity to be In-Charge,usually quoting other administrations success due to rigid lockdown policies (which is often not the case).

Our original,and current CV-19 strategy has ensured that :
    We have not been overrun.
    We are not currently overrun.

I'm personally satisfied that our Irish Solution to a Worldwide problem,has worked,and is working for US as a country.

It can be argued that generational/ageist cooperation and compliance is now becoming the largest single issue in containing and controlling the CV-19 situation Worldwide,which is perhaps a largely unaddressed situation which could present substantial difficulties.

Either way,we differ in our approach,and there we have it,I've managed to survive another day out amongst the infection,and so have you...so c'est la vie ? :)

Well said Alek. Non essiential retail outlets has been open for nearly 2 months, public transport back to a reasonable capacity, cafes and restaraurants reopened and no more queuing outside supermarkets and despite this there has been no major spike in cases. All this has been achieved without the widespread use of face coverings and it's only in the last few weeks that the use of masks on public transport and retail has become more widespread and that's any real enforcement.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Numbers which are still very possible given by the mortality rates which you yourself posted.
    We have managed to avoid these sort of numbers because of the measures we have taken.

Frankly, what a load of nonsense. The vast majority of people didn't leave there homes for two months or more and you couldn't even travel 2km from your home!

The 2km was legally enforced by the Gardai and people have been to court over breaking it.

I'm not sure what type of revisionist bs you are trying to peddle!

Unemployment reached 26%, I'd call all of the above pretty extreme measures and fortunately they have proven to work in keeping the numbers dead down for now.

As a country, we really can't afford to go back into that sort of extreme lock down again. We need mask wearing and other measures to work well, so that we can at least partly operate our economy without numbers going way up again.

Accept that isn't true, is is now. They ask first and when they don't see cooperation, they then introduce legislation and enforcement a few weeks later to make it mandatory.

We have seen this a few times now, with the 2km limit, mask wearing on buses, etc.

Start by asking, then become legally mandatory.

I'm glad to hear that you work with many people who actually care about our community and are doing what is necessary to keep this nasty virus at bay and who care about their own health and the health of their family and others.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from! It isn't what I'm seeing from public health experts here or abroad.

There seems to be growing consensus that this virus is showing seasonality in some parts of the world, which has partly explained the dropping numbers in Europe, though still with flare ups as we are seeing in Spain at the moment.

There is a serious concern that we will see large increases again come autumn/winter.

Which is why it is so important that we remain vigilant and try taking every reasonable measure to limit it's spread.

Socially distant and wear a mask when you can't. We all need to work together to beat this damn virus.

I have my doubts that this mask wearing business is actually being enforced. The talk of a 2.5k fine for non complaince seems more like an empty threat to me and the only incidents that I have heard about the arrests were made for other offences so it is possible that they would have been an abusive/aggressive type even in 'normal' circumstances that would been arrested and/or asked to leave the bus or train.

All the law abiding type has to do is politely say they are exempt if they are asked. A reasonable member of AGS let alone a bus driver or any other member of transport staff isn't going to question this line and buses driving past people without masks is not something that I have witnessed or heard about.

ax586 wrote: »
    I work on the 16 and I did not see one person being refused on the so called routes

Likely a once off incident. It was something I heard I wasn't there. I'm sure most reasonable drivers wouldn't pull such a move.

bk wrote: »
    Numbers which are still very possible given by the mortality rates which you yourself posted.

Frankly, what a load of nonsense. The vast majority of people didn't leave there homes for two months or more and you couldn't even travel 2km from your home!

The 2km was legally enforced by the Gardai and people have been to court over breaking it.

I'm not sure what type of revisionist bs you are trying to peddle!

Unemployment reached 26%, I'd call all of the above pretty extreme measures and fortunately they have proven to work in keeping the numbers dead down for now.

As a country, we really can't afford to go back into that sort of extreme lock down again. We need mask wearing and other measures to work well, so that we can at least partly operate our economy without numbers going way up again.

Accept that isn't true, is is now. They ask first and when they don't see cooperation, they then introduce legislation and enforcement a few weeks later to make it mandatory.

We have seen this a few times now, with the 2km limit, mask wearing on buses, etc.

Start by asking, then become legally mandatory.

I'm glad to hear that you work with many people who actually care about our community and are doing what is necessary to keep this nasty virus at bay and who care about their own health and the health of their family and others.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from! It isn't what I'm seeing from public health experts here or abroad.

There seems to be growing consensus that this virus is showing seasonality in some parts of the world, which has partly explained the dropping numbers in Europe, though still with flare ups as we are seeing in Spain at the moment.

There is a serious concern that we will see large increases again come autumn/winter.

Which is why it is so important that we remain vigilant and try taking every reasonable measure to limit it's spread.

Socially distant and wear a mask when you can't. We all need to work together to beat this damn virus.

As I suggested earlier in-thread,we appear to have varying approaches to the issue.

I do not agree with some of your posted opinions,but neither do I seek to abuse or denigrate your views,and fully support your right to hold them.

Just to be clear on one charge you make,I am not peddling any form of what you term "revisionist bs."

What you so fervently dislike,are my opinions,based upon my own reasoning and observations during,and prior to,the current emergency.

As the Country,and Continent begins the next phase of coping with Coronavirus CV-19,it is abundantly clear that there will an increase in CV-19 cases consequent upon more people resuming human to human interaction.

The economy is restarting,it HAS to restart,and this process cannot even begin,without large increases in Social Contact across the entire spectrum of Humanity.

There are,as yet,no definitive indications that these increases will overwhelm our Health & Social systems,given the abundance of knowledge which continues to grow from our continuing research into the Virus and it's methodologies.

As somebody who has worked all the way through the current emergency,I am quite comfortable with my opinion on the nature of the Garda "Lockdown" enforcement policies,something,I suggest supported by the very low numbers of Garda interventions.

https://dublininquirer.com/2020/05/20/doireann-what-are-the-dangers-with-the-new-garda-powers
    Since then we have seen Garda checkpoints mounted throughout the country, despite the fact that according to the Gardaí’s own statistics we still have almost full compliance. On 1 May, of 13,324 cars checked by police at one checkpoint, only 21 were requested to turn around, and all agreed to do so without any use of the new powers.

Even the DPP appears to be level-headed enough in relation to demands for stronger and wider reaching enforcement.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-number-being-prosecuted-for-breaching-lockdown-has-slowed-to-trickle-1.4280868
    Garda Headquarters on Tuesday revealed that of the 307 times people had come to their attention in relation to the lockdown restrictions, 86 had resulted in criminal charges or summonses to appear before the courts.

This means that in the past week the DPP has approved charges in only four additional cases. And in the past three weeks only 20 new charges have been approved.

The very slow increase in the number of people facing such charges has now become a sustained pattern and strongly suggests the DPP is proving very reluctant to press criminal charges.

This situation continues to date,with few Garda interactions required on any of the recommended measures,and those which recieved publicity,featured somebody peddling actual BS,albeit about freemanism etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGyef_u-GQU

So there ya go,thankfully,Boards.ie so far provides us both with a location for free discourse & discussion,a situation which I would hope to see continue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Likely a once off incident. It was something I heard I wasn't there. I'm sure most reasonable drivers wouldn't pull such a move.

Back-pedal quick back-pedal.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

This situation continues to date,with few Garda interactions required on any of the recommended measures,and those which recieved publicity,featured somebody peddling actual BS,albeit about freemanism etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGyef_u-GQU

So there ya go,thankfully,Boards.ie so far provides us both with a location for free discourse & discussion,a situation which I would hope to see continue ?

I'd love to know the full story behind those videos. Wouldn't surprise me if the guy was deliberately trying to be difficult and confrontational rather than just simply politely informing the other passengers that he had a medical exemption in order to get attention from his video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'd love to know the full story behind those videos. Wouldn't surprise me if the guy was deliberately trying to be difficult and confrontational rather than just simply politely informing the other passengers that he had a medical exemption in order to get attention from his video.

Typical Dublin Jackeen in that video.

The driver featered is one of the best BE have in Cork.

There is one 41 driver who takes it very seriously. Had him twice and he came up stairs on two trips one for someone to move to correct seats and another after someone removed face mask. Checks the cameras every few stops to ensure full complience.

No mask, no travel, no exceptions but to be fair he would only refuse if bus was full or you had no mask.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Typical Dublin Jackeen in that video.

The driver featered is one of the best BE have in Cork.

There is one 41 driver who takes it very seriously. Had him twice and he came up stairs on two trips one for someone to move to correct seats and another after someone removed face mask. Checks the cameras every few stops to ensure full complience.

No mask, no travel, no exceptions but to be fair he would only refuse if bus was full or you had no mask.

I have noticed a tendency that it is nearly always older perhaps more experienced Irish drivers that are more likely to challenge passengers for various reasons whilst younger and foreign national drivers are more likely to avoid any sort of direct confrontation. There was one driver a I came across a number of years ago who would turn off the engine and come on the intercom and start saying "this is your stop" to anyone who stayed on the bus past the stop they had paid for.

I was on one bus where the driver who seemed like an old timer came up the stairs to tell a couple who most likely looked like they lived together to separate onto the seats without covers when they said they lived to together he told them it "didn't matter". Even though DB stated in a tweet that persons travelling with members of the household could sit together.

I don't think it is a good idea for bus drivers to getting pre occupied with non driving related issuesto me it seems like it could be dangerous as if the driver is looking too much at the cameras in the cab he/she is not fully focused on the road. It's a bit of a distraction for a driver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There was one driver a I came across a number of years ago who would turn off the engine and come on the intercom and start saying "this is your stop" to anyone who stayed on the bus past the stop they had paid for.

Was that a female driver by any chance who used to operate on services out of Phibsborough Garage?

Used to have a driver like that on the 38 many years ago who could remember where everyone had bought a ticket to!

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Was that a female driver by any chance who used to operate on services out of Phibsborough Garage?

Used to have a driver like that on the 38 many years ago who could remember where everyone had bought a ticket to!

No this was a male driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

devnull wrote: »

I know who you're talking about I think, was she recently in a photo for the Pride thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Have private operators been fully consulted with the NTA & BÉ on the school transport scheme when the schools return to normal in late August?

Noticed a few people on busses going by with masks down on their chin, cctv footage needs to be used to fine/ban these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Wear your mask and sanitize yourself. If it works, it works. No need to worry what others are doing.

eleventh wrote: »
    Wear your mask and sanitize yourself. If it works, it works. No need to worry what others are doing.

Educate yourself ffs, it only works if the vast majority comply, don't be making excuse for selfish bastards.

Noticed a few people on busses going by with masks down on their chin, cctv footage needs to be used to fine/ban these people.

Good lad.

That's not how CCTV works the footage is only used at the request of AGS or in the event of a claim. How the hell do expect to ban people from buses when there's 2.5k bus drivers working for DB how are they supposed to know who's banned. This has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Not sure this is correct thread but it's Covid related so hoping someone might be able to help.

So I want to book an irish rail train ticket tomorrow morning but it looks to be booked out on irish rail as won't let me book it. Now I can book a flexi ticket for the next train and as its flexi I'd be able to get the earlier booked train. I'd have been able to do this in normal times. I'm just wondering if I'd be able to do that now with Covid? Ive gotten a few trains the last few weeks and no one has checked my ticket but they werent booked out as far as I know.

I think I'd be fine getting on, I don't mind sitting on the ground or whatever. But I don't want to go all the way to the station and be denied travel and have to wait 2 hours for the next train. TIA.

• Advertisement

IÉ is doing overhead line repairs with all rail services between Connolly & Howth/Malahide suspended.

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1289564096958955520

One twitter user has said there are "heaps of people" waiting on the platforms for services to restart at Connolly.

That can't be good when challenges of social distancing are increasing.

EDIT:

I just read on Twitter that rail services have now resumed north of Connolly. The question remains though is how the backlog of passengers, from not using the trains north of there, being maintained on buses & taxis running outside Connolly while the outage occurred on the overhead lines between Harmonstown & Howth/Malahide. Are buses & taxis still seeing a bigger increase in demand when rail services at Connolly were not running during that period particularly during a BHW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone heard anything on DC. There were expected to resume M9 services (others as well I assume) in September. That is not happening now and rumours circulating are its gone for good.

Not a rumour a company would want if its not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Is anyone aware of walkthroughs of public transport vehicles leaving major termini or spot checks en route? Because that’s what it’s gonna take (including pre arranged Garda presence).

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1289929242759712769?s=21

Dublin Bus have put up route changes for the 14, 44 & 44b in Dundrum from the 10th of August.
    Route Changes on Routes 14, 44 and 44b Published on Monday, July 27, 2020

We wish to advise customers that due to ttraffic flow changes proposed by DLRCC in response to Covid 19; to facilitate safe physical distancing for pedestrians and cyclists in Dundrum village, a one way system towards the city centre will be introduced. As a result the following route changes will take place from Monday 10 August 2020.

Route 14
    Route 14

Towards Dundrum Luas Station - No change to routing.

Towards Beaumont (Ardlea Rd.)

Buses will depart from stop 2825, Dundrum Road, Luas Dundrum, turn right onto Dundrum Main St., right on to Dundrum Road, right onto Taney Road (serving stop 7719) , right onto Sydenham Road (serving stop 7720) right onto Kilmacud Road upper and continue on to Ballinteer Road (serving stop 7718) and back on to normal route.

Please note stop 2826 Dundrum, Ballinteer Road will no longer be served.

Route%2014%20map%20Diversion.png

Route 44/44b
    Route 44

Towards DCU - No change to routing.

Towards Enniskerry

Normal route to Dundrum Luas (stop 2825), divert right onto Dundrum Main St., left onto Dundrum by-pass continuing to Roundabout at Tesco, left onto R117, right onto Sandyford Road and back onto normal route.

Please note stop 2826 Dundrum, Ballinteer Road, stop 2827 Sandyford Road, Citizen Advice Centre and stop 2828 Sandyford Road, Riversdale will no longer be served. For the nearest stops please use any of the three new stops (7715, 7716 and 7717) on the Dundrum by-pass.

Route 44b

Towards Dundrum Luas Station - No change to routing.

Towards Glencullen

Buses will now depart from stop 6041, Dundrum, Luas Dundrum, then right onto Dundrum Main St., left onto Dundrum by-pass continuing to Roundabout at Tesco, left onto R117, right onto Sandyford Road and back onto normal route.

Please note stop 2826 Dundrum, Ballinteer Road, stop 2827 Sandyford Road, Citizen Advice Centre and stop 2828 Sandyford Road, Riversdale will no longer be served. For the nearest stops please use any of the three new stops (7715, 7716 and 7717 ) on the Dundrum by-pass.

Route%2044%20and%2044b%20map%20Diversion.png

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Route-Changes-on-Routes-14-44-and-44b/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I wonder why the new 14 stops on taney Road have new numbers even though they're at the same location as the current stops used by the 175/75 there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Would love to know this too. Considering I depend on this company for commuting. If they're gone alot of jobs gone too and I'm not only talking a out employees of the company. Including myself. **Refering to the above post by Jamie2k9 on Dublin Coach** forget to quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That routing around Dundrum is going to add considerable time to the journey and also the roads aren't great for bus turning. That's for 44 and 14.
    I know the 75 and 175 do some of these but the road layouts are terrible for anyone in anything bigger then a car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on DC. There were expected to resume M9 services (others as well I assume) in September. That is not happening now and rumours circulating are its gone for good.

Not a rumour a company would want if its not true.

Honestly the substance of the rumours that I've heard seem to be pretty much based on the fact that they are quiet and they are not operating at the moment so must mean they're not coming back. Seems a bit of a stretch.

They are far from the only operator which are not operating. GoBus and JJ Kavanagh, City Direct Galway among others are also not operating and I don't see that anyone is predicting their demise.

What I can tell you is going on behind the scenes is that the NTA and Department of Transport are having discussions with commercial bus operators, both public and private in relation to the effect that the COVID-19 pandemic has on their operation and when they can resume services in a sustainable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Has anyone in NTA/Government explained how buses currently pretty full at peak times while operating at 50% passenger capacity are going to be able to accommodate the hordes of school children using the services from September onwards? from my own routes pre covid & the schools closing, the buses would be standing room only by the time they reached my stop. Can't fathom how its expected to work in September with severely reduced capacity. Opening schools later (10/11am) after morning commuters would have been an obvious idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is the lack of public transport having an effect on traffic into Dublin? I’ve been in twice the past week up the N7 and found it was exceptionally busy well outside of peak rush hours.
    All those various frequent coaches like Dublin coach carry a lot of people, many of whom forced back into their cars. This is a major crisis that the government have completely allowed fester.

BTW the loss of Dublin coach would be a huge loss to the likes of Kilkenny- Bus Éireann pulled their route when they arrived and JJ Kavannagh are still off the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement