Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

GT89 wrote: »
    Thought they were allowing 6 standees on an SG last time they were at 50% capacity. Has this been done away with now? Also are drivers who go over capacity getting in trouble?

I haven't heard of anyone getting into trouble yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wouldn't be going out of my way to over load but the seating on a ev is totally different, it's not every window seat like the others.

Haven't been on one so only see it now.

Driver's putting themselves and others at risk is a bit silly to be honest but nobody knows what's going to happen.

Wife just found out her and other hospital staff had the virus in December last year....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Face coverings now mandatory in taxis think it's mad this is only mandatory now. Interestingly though it says they are mandatory for drivers and passengers which I find odd surely it should only be for passengers if there is a perspex screen in place same way bus drivers and retail staff don't have to wear them if there is a screen.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/face-coverings-taxis-5291228-Dec2020/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Face coverings now mandatory in taxis think it's mad this is only mandatory now. Interestingly though it says they are mandatory for drivers and passengers which I find odd surely it should only be for passengers if there is a perspex screen in place same way bus drivers and retail staff don't have to wear them if there is a screen.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/face-coverings-taxis-5291228-Dec2020/

Probably because screens are only partially effective.

No single step you take is perfect protection, but the more steps you take, the safer you are and adding masks along with existing screens is an extremely low cost extra step.

Think of it like how wearing a seat belt in a car makes you safer and less likely to die in a car crash, but it is still possible to die in a car crash, just less likely.

Now add multiple air bags to the car, ABS, collision detection, crumple zones, etc. With each new safety feature added, your chances of surving a crash increase.

There is no silver bullet solution that will protect you (until we get vaccinated anyway), instead you have to take multiple steps which hopefully all together protect you and help reduce the overall number of cases.

bk wrote: »
    Probably because screens are only partially effective.

No single step you take is perfect protection, but the more steps you take, the safer you are and adding masks along with existing screens is an extremely low cost extra step.

Think of it like how wearing a seat belt in a car makes you safer and less likely to die in a car crash, but it is still possible to die in a car crash, just less likely.

Now add multiple air bags to the car, ABS, collision detection, crumple zones, etc. With each new safety feature added, your chances of surving a crash increase.

There is no silver bullet solution that will protect you (until we get vaccinated anyway), instead you have to take multiple steps which hopefully all together protect you and help reduce the overall number of cases.

You may be right I just think it's odd that screens are good enough for bus drivers and retail staff under the legislation but not good enough for taxi drivers. As the laws mandating the use of face coverings in shops and on public transport provide an exemption for staff who can work behind a screen such as bus drivers or till staff but the legislation for masks in taxis does not provide such an exemption. I'm more speaking from the pov of the legislation that is there rather than a scientific pov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

You may be right I just think it's odd that screens are good enough for bus drivers and retail staff under the legislation but not good enough for taxi drivers. As the laws mandating the use of face coverings in shops and on public transport provide an exemption for staff who can work behind a screen such as bus drivers or till staff but the legislation for masks in taxis does not provide such an exemption. I'm more speaking from the pov of the legislation that is there rather than a scientific pov.

I could be wrong but up until a few weeks ago I believe not all taxis had screens fitted so that could be why masks are mandatory for drivers.

john boye wrote: »
    I could be wrong but up until a few weeks ago I believe not all taxis had screens fitted so that could be why masks are mandatory for drivers.

True but not all buses have screens either or at least not when the regulations were first introduced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Pre booking mandatory on all Irish Rail intercity trains between 18th December and 6th January.
    https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/pre-booking-mandatory-for-travel-on-intercity-rail

Another completely unimplementable suggestion from the back office types that will be mostly ignored by the public.

Imagine expecting front line workers to tackle a bunch of scaldies on their way to get their fix or pull up the crowd of 15 lads out on the piss before they break up work for Christmas because neither group has their seats booked?

Pure fantasy from the company once again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Another completely unimplementable suggestion for the back office types that will be mostly ignored by the public.

Imagine expecting front line workers to tackle a bunch of scaldies on their way to get their fix or pull up the crowd of 15 lads out on the piss before they break up work for Christmas because neither group has their seats booked?

Pure fantasy from the company once again.

Errr.... They won't even get on the trains. There are ticket checkers at the gates before you even get to the train.

Also lots of security at Heuston and Connolly Station. This isn't anything new, they have long recommended pre-booking near Christmas and have always had lots of staff around to handle the big queues of passengers trying to board.

• Advertisement

Errr.... They won't even get on the trains. There are ticket checkers at the gates before you even get to the train.

Also lots of security at Heuston and Connolly Station. This isn't anything new, they have long recommended pre-booking near Christmas and have always had lots of staff around to handle the big queues of passengers trying to board.

What about people travelling Connolly to Drogheda or Dundalk. I'm guessing they could travel on an Enterprise rather than a Commuter service likewise people travelling to Bray or Greystones on the Rosslare service or travelling to Kildare, Portarlington or Portlaoise on an intercity service out of Hueston. Plenty of journeys covered by both intercity and commuter trains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

To be fair, there are more stations in the country than Hueston and Connolly and most of them don't have security.

To be fair, there are more stations in the country than Hueston and Connolly and most of them don't have security.

And I've never seen the security in Connolly or Hueston check tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I will be testing this policy out but we all know it not workable.

Most station staff don't check tickets now, ticket barrier staff have there socially distanced space at Heuston, CSOs rarely seen and don't check tickets so who will enforce it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I will be testing this policy out but we all know it not workable.

Most station staff don't check tickets now, ticket barrier staff have there socially distanced space at Heuston, CSOs rarely seen and don't check tickets so who will enforce it?

Barry Kenny?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Barry Kenny?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Just a warning to people my ticket price was double what it normally is. Seems to be the same for the next coming weeks when I was looking at booking ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

LUAS extremely crowded this evening I am not sure some people are taking things seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

RTPI must be self isolating due to Covid.

trellheim wrote: »
    LUAS extremely crowded this evening I am not sure some people are taking things seriously

Were you one of the people on it? If so you are part of the problem you mention.

RTPI must be self isolating due to Covid.

Appears to be back up and running now

• Advertisement

Obviously something is coming soon with the rtpi, the box in the cab is now showing a minus amount of time where as before this would be just a / in the box. Now states on time too

Were you one of the people on it? If so you are part of the problem you mention.
    Thanks for the concern. No, it went past me ( a couple of times ) both very full.

Thanks for the concern. No, it went past me ( a couple of times ) both very full.

Fair enough but I've noticed a common trend on twitter of people complaining about public transport being too full even when they are on it.

Obviously something is coming soon with the rtpi, the box in the cab is now showing a minus amount of time where as before this would be just a / in the box. Now states on time too

Could that be something to do keeping even headway?

Could that be something to do keeping even headway?

It seems to be garbled atm. Saw an RTPI screen a few minutes ago showing a 77A to Aston Quay and a 1 to River Forest

It seems to be garbled atm. Saw an RTPI screen a few minutes ago showing a 77A to Aston Quay and a 1 to River Forest

Yeah saw 145 displaying Rossmore on the app instead of Hueston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Still an issue by the looks of it, just checked the app now and the 145 northbound shows Rossmore along with the 46a showing UCD & 47 showing the Square (both going southbound)

p_haugh wrote: »
    Still an issue by the looks of it, just checked the app now and the 145 northbound shows Rossmore along with the 46a showing UCD & 47 showing the Square (both going southbound)

Seems some routes are showing destinations for the next route up on the list. Eg 47 showing the square for the 49, 145 showing 150, 150 showing Foxborough for the 151 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Seems some routes are showing destinations for the next route up on the list. Eg 47 showing the square for the 49, 145 showing 150, 150 showing Foxborough for the 151 etc.

That makes a lot of sense actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is the link I use for RTPI usually.

http://www.rtpi.ie/text/Default.aspx

Since the problem last week, DB routes aren't tracking properly, they just list the timetabled arrival time for the stop, instead of counting down live. Go Ahead routes appear fine.

• Advertisement

More 25% capacity nonsense predict more chaos when the children go back to school especially now non essential shops are going to be open. Despite 0 covid cases being linked to public transport at 50% capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

More 25% capacity nonsense predict more chaos when the children go back to school especially now non essential shops are going to be open. Despite 0 covid cases being linked to public transport at 50% capacity

Interesting, would you be able to provide a link to the 0 covid case's on public transport please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

It’s going to be a nightmare getting buses with schools returning in January and non essential retail staying open! And only 25% :mad:

Kyleboy wrote: »
    Interesting, would you be able to provide a link to the 0 covid case's on public transport please?

I could reply but I'd probably be banned so best not

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Bus capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Don't worry, understandable in your situation.

ax586 wrote: »
    Bus capacity

I thought it would be 17 passengers per bus. That's a bit better to be fair. On a side note I see DB are copying the TFL slogan now what was wrong with 'Serving the entire community'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Don't worry, understandable in your situation.

Back to the topic at hand and constructively posting about it please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

TK Lemon wrote: »
    It’s going to be a nightmare getting buses with schools returning in January and non essential retail staying open! And only 25% :mad:

I don't think non essential retail will be open for too long going into the new year.

• Advertisement

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I don't think non essential retail will be open for too long going into the new year.

Nor do I. Which I am pissed off about as I work in a retailer which is deemed essential whenever they close non essential retail everyone goes to the few shops open that are deemed essential meaning less social distancing which is a complete condradiction of what the government want.

Have it now in the last 2 weeks at least 0. Very possible that the outbreaks in other weeks had nothing to do with public transport either.
    https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1342169455674191872?s=19

Tickityboo wrote: »

I work in non essential retail. It was hard getting a bus at 50% at times! 25% will be crazy.

I work in non essential retail. It was hard getting a bus at 50% at times! 25% will be crazy.

Complain to Anne Graham and Eamonn Ryan

Complain to Anne Graham and Eamonn Ryan

There’s no point complaining, nothing will be done! It is what it is :pac:

There’s no point complaining, nothing will be done! It is what it is :pac:

Everyone effected should bombard them so they know this madness does not work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Have it now in the last 2 weeks at least 0. Very possible that the outbreaks in other weeks had nothing to do with public transport either.
    https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1342169455674191872?s=19

It's quite interesting that almost Universally,Public Transport,often in the densest of population centres has NOT figured in the transmissability statistics.

From an Irish perspective,most focus has been upon London,where,in the initial stages of the pandemnic,a significant number of TfL staff deaths were deemed to meet the UK's Covid mortality statistics.

The breakdown of those initial deaths is also available here:

https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2020/1663
    Tube and Rail 4

Head Office 2

Buses (including DaR) 34

Partner Organisation 4

Total 44

35 – 44 1

45 – 54 13

55 – 65 20

65+ 6

TBC 4

Total 44

Ethnicity Total

Asian/British Asian 12

White/White Other 8

Black/Black African/Black Caribbean/Black British 19

TBC 5

Total 44

It appears that the last Busdriver Covid fatality (the 45th in total) was in early October,with all the others occuring during the initial phase of Coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-public-transport-could-be-safer-than-we-thought-12091657

Worldwide,the actual chance of becoming infected on Public Transport is negligible,particularly if positive ventilation is maintained during the journey....Yet,bus passengers,in particular will regularly embark on a wild-eyed Window Slamming attack immediately upon boarding,most likely due to a feeling of invincibility thanks to their mask....:rolleyes:

LEAVE THE WINDOWS OPEN !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Worldwide,the actual chance of becoming infected on Public Transport is negligible,particularly if positive ventilation is maintained during the journey....Yet,bus passengers,in particular will regularly embark on a wild-eyed Window Slamming attack immediately upon boarding,most likely due to a feeling of invincibility thanks to their mask....

LEAVE THE WINDOWS OPEN !

A good point - why have DB not put wedges in to ensure they remain open ?

Instead of chopping and changing between 25% and 50% capacity they should just have a blanket limit of 30 passengers per bus on double deckers and have no standees then maybe something like 14 passengers on a single decker.

That's what it is in London 30 passengers on a double deck and 35 if travelling with people in the same household. Clearly marked on the outside of the bus and that applies regardless if their in tier 1 or tier 4. Seems a bit clearer 30 is somewhere between 25 and 50% capacity allows every window seat to be taken.

No seat signage there either which is just either vandalised or applied incorrectly now it seems I was on a couple of buses over the last 2 months and the seat signage is always inconsistent now.

Probably could damage them

Signs are there, it should be common sense anyway, I always opened a window even in terrible weather to get some fresh air in...

They would have to go around to remove them each night for the wash and windows would smash....

• Advertisement
Advertisement