Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor Fees

Options
  • 14-03-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all,

I'm currently represented by what seems to be reputable solicitors on a defamation case. Have pretty clear cut written evidence of defamation and they agreed to offer representation quickly. However, they have not yet filed any action, they have just reviewed documents.

They sent me a fee note for >2k. We're not even talking about a large volume of documents. They sent me an email stating that they're still considering a 'possible' defamtion action.

Am I correct in assuming here that they want me to pay money for having them review documents and they could just drop the case after I pay this?

In the agreement I signed, it says they may on occassion bill clients in advance and they will be charged interest if payment is overdue. The charge isn't broken down it's just a professional fee.

If I don't pay this yet can they drop me as a client legally speaking?

I initially accepted their representation because it said a senior solicitor was taking the case. I've only been in contact with a junior 20 something solicitor. The fact that they're tring to bill me so much without actually having done anything or without even committing to do anything is now ringing alarm bells for me. I'm wondering if they're not trying to take me for a ride.

Is this normal? Seems a bit odd to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry,Boards does not deal with such cases, Closed=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement