Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks/forests within cycling distance of cork city

Options
  • 14-03-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I wondering if anyone could recommend to me some walks or woods within an hour or an hour and a half cycle of Cork city?

Something along the lines of Farran woods is what I'm thinking.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hi,

I wondering if anyone could recommend to me some walks or woods within an hour or an hour and a half cycle of Cork city?

Thanks

Ballincollig Regional Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Curraghbinney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

https://www.coillte.ie/our-forests/recreation-map/

Have a browse around the Coillte website, there are some fantastic walks in the Cork area. It's a great resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

One of the problems with Cork is there is not a lot of decent sized woodland in or close to city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Farran woods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Curragh woods Middleton I often see cyclists here there is some sort of track for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

SomeFool wrote: »
    https://www.coillte.ie/our-forests/recreation-map/

Have a browse around the Coillte website, there are some fantastic walks in the Cork area. It's a great resource.

Just curious - Why isn't Ballincollig Regional Park listed here? :confused:

Great site too.. Hadn't heard of it before now.. Will definitely be put to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Regional Park is a city council park, the site details the coillte amenities. https://www.heritageireland.ie/en/ is another excellent resource, lot's probably closed right now with covid-19 but many estates and gardens listed which have nice walks too.

Hi,

Thanks

Robert's cove cliff walk,up there a few times a week, sublime, worth the effort, regularly see falcon's, kestrels,hawks etc,views spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Robert's cove cliff walk,up there a few times a week, sublime, worth the effort, regularly see falcon's, kestrels,hawks etc,views spectacular

Does this form a loop or is at an up and back? I never went past the first climb of the cliffs the only time I was there as the weather turned fast.

If we have the time we love extending the cliff walk in ballycotton by coming back via the road, is roberts cove similar?

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    Does this form a loop or is at an up and back? I never went past the first climb of the cliffs the only time I was there as the weather turned fast.

If we have the time we love extending the cliff walk in ballycotton by coming back via the road, is roberts cove similar?

You can walk if prepared to go under/ over barbed wire ,walk to Rocky bay,and loop back along the road back to Roberts cove( not for smallies)ref first climb, there's another few miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

You can walk if prepared to go under/ over barbed wire ,walk to Rocky bay,and loop back along the road back to Roberts cove( not for smallies)ref first climb, there's another few miles

Sounds ideal. Thanks :-)

RINO87 wrote: »
    Sounds ideal. Thanks :-)

Welcome,was up today v busy including 10 plus silly aged hikers( club) who stuck together disregarding the government virus advice about distancing etc( just to be aware,since this started it's never been busier)p.s. I'm over 60 myself in case you thought I was singling out the aged ,but they were IRRESPONSIBLE

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

John O'Callaghan park in Glanmire. There's a small wood and river walk. Well worth exploring. Also river walks and woods nearby in Brooklodge from the secondary school along the river, under the M8 and finishing at the hermitage.

Advertisement