Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod changed theme of thread

Options
  • 14-03-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057870445

I refer to the above thread.

If you are not familiar with the thread you can see from the opening post and the thread in general that it is specifically about multicultural in western Europe which I'm sure you are aware is a contentions issue in Europe currently.

The title of the tread originally reflected this but I know from speaking with the OP that a mod changed the title to "Migration Megathread". The OP told me that thread title was clanged twice. The OP has since been banned since I asked him if he changed the thread title.

I asked on the thread why the title heading had been changed. I received an infraction noticed from a mod, my post was deleted, any my profile shows a
    infraction notice but the reason for it is documented as 'private'.

The mod infraction PM stated that I was guilty of 'backseat moderation'. At that stage I was not blaming a mod for changing the thread title as I did not know who changed it then, it could have been the OP, but yes I did suspect a mod changed it and that was confirmed when I contacted the thread OP who confirmed this.

I am not here to dispute the infraction.

What I am here for is to complain about a mod changing the theme of a thread by as said changing the thread title. I asked the mod who issued the infraction to explain this. No explanation was given unsurprisingly and I was merely directed here. Not good enough frankly.

It is my estimation that a mod, and I don't know which mod, changed the title to change the theme of the thread. Again the theme was multiculturalism in Europe, not migration or all things migration mega from historical migration to migration in any other part of the world. It is about western European countries facing a challenged# with social cultural change and the problems that arise from it.

I think the mod who changed the title was influenced to do so based on their own opinion on the issue which I believe is that they are fully in favor of it.

Therefore I think a mod is acting in a way that is not impartial and therefore abusing their status as a mod. This is unacceptable.

If it is the case that a mod has the authority to change a thread title however they please and thus is beyond reprimand - that is also unacceptable, whatever the rules. It undermines trust between the forum and it's participants.

I want an explanation for the following things.

1. What is the mod excuse for changing the thread title.
    2. What is the mods view on multiculturalism in Europe. What side of the argument are they on.

3. Why was my post deleted.
    4. Why does the infraction show up as private on my profile page.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you discussed this directly with the mod via PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you discussed this directly with the mod via PM?

Yes. I asked the mod to explain it and all I got was a 'if you have a problem with a mod action take it to the help desk type reply.

I understand from perusing the other threads on this forum that mods are quite busy at the moment therefore I make no complaint about my issue not being death with expeditiously.

Make no mistake though I expect it to be dealt with eventually.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Question 4 is, I think, a straighforward one - if the post is deleted it can no longer be seen by you. I can see further details, which are all contained in the message you received when the card was issued

In terms of question 3, if you are backseat modding it's entirely appropriate to delete the post

Question 2 is completely irrelevant

Question 1 - I don't know but as it's a thread that has been running for nearly 2 years I suspect it became a quite wide area of discussion. I have myself re-branded about a dozen threads in the Coronavirus forum as "Megathreads" in the past few days as having various threads covering similar issues causes confusion and indeed parallel discussions with different people in each thread covering similar if not identical topics

Beasty wrote: »
    Question 4 is, I think, a straighforward one - if the post is deleted it can no longer be seen by you. I can see further details, which are all contained in the message you received when the card was issued

Why was it deleted?
    In terms of question 3, if you are backseat modding it's entirely appropriate to delete the post

Why? I didn't backseat mod anyway, all I asked was why the title of the thread changed.

Question 2 is completely irrelevant

Question 2 is relevant in the context of my complaint.

Question 1 - I don't know but as it's a thread that has been running for nearly 2 years I suspect it became a quite wide area of discussion. I have myself re-branded about a dozen threads in the Coronavirus forum as "Megathreads" in the past few days as having various threads covering similar issues causes confusion and indeed parallel discussions with different people in each thread covering similar if not identical topics
    [/QUOTE]

Well find out? It doesn't look like you looked into this at all frankly.

I don't have a particular issue with the term 'megathead', as long as what the mega is referring to is accurate. In this case it's not accurate, it makes the thread much broader than what was intended. And I disagree with you that the excuse for this is that that thread 'developed'. It hasn't developed to general migration except when making comparisons to historic migration.

"European multiculturalism Megathread" I'd be happy with. Because that is what the thread is consistently about.

• Advertisement

Why was it deleted? - perhaps read he answer I gave to question 3

If you are claiming you did not backseat mod, well that would be a matter for the DRP and not here

Question 2 remains irrelevant

"Well find out" - who the hell, do you think you are?

Thread closed

The OP has approached me via PM and we have had a very cordial further discussion

They are now satisfied with the explanations I have given to the concerns they raised

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement