Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using willow trunk as frame for a swing set

• 14-03-2020 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

We have willow trees along the front of our garden. They have grown too tall and i am going to have them cut down. They are reasonably straight, and it thought the cut trunks might be nice to use to build a climbing frame or a swing set frame for the kids.
    Any ideas on whether willow would be any good for this purpose. When i see it blowing in the wind, it seems kind of flexible, so i am wondering if it lacks strength or if it will rot quickly.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's too weak for this purpose. It's a lightweight wood. Has many uses but not for this purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭CarPark2

Thanks. When you say it has many uses, would it be any good as posts for a fence? Any ideas on other uses?

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks. When you say it has many uses, would it be any good as posts for a fence? Any ideas on other uses?

Nope. It's not meant for construction purposes so disregard any garden related construction .

Think more decorative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could always get into the cricket bat making business if all else fails :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

We have willow trees along the front of our garden. They have grown too tall and i am going to have them cut down. They are reasonably straight, and it thought the cut trunks might be nice to use to build a climbing frame or a swing set frame for the kids.
    Any ideas on whether willow would be any good for this purpose. When i see it blowing in the wind, it seems kind of flexible, so i am wondering if it lacks strength or if it will rot quickly.
    Thanks in advance.

It won't rot anyway if you cut it and use it anywhere near where it grew it will probably root again.

Willow is very resilient and flexible, if the trunks are thick it would be perfect for what you have in mind.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

It won't rot anyway if you cut it and use it anywhere near where it grew it will probably root again.

Willow is very resilient and flexible, if the trunks are thick it would be perfect for what you have in mind.

Willow is too weak for a swing set what sort of advice is this. It's not meant for those sort of stresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How thick are these tree trunks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The idea is to leave the trunks in the ground and make a swing?

I think it's a lovely idea with a low probability of fatalities.

Lumen wrote: »
    The idea is to leave the trunks in the ground and make a swing?

I think it's a lovely idea with a low probability of fatalities.

Just to be clear, the idea is to cut down the trees and put the trunks in another part of the garden for other uses, e.g., a climbing frame; a swing set; or fence posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

Just to be clear, the idea is to cut down the trees and put the trunks in another part of the garden for other uses, e.g., a climbing frame; a swing set; or fence posts.

The biggest issue is they will take root and grow, have seen windblown willow take a second set of roots where it touched the ground, even if you have ones strong enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh right. I think it's a bad idea then. What listermint said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.wood-database.com/white-willow/

there is the strength and durability of willow you can look up other woods on the data base

148multi wrote: »
    The biggest issue is they will take root and grow, have seen windblown willow take a second set of roots where it touched the ground, even if you have ones strong enough.

Thanks. I definitely don’t want that. I have to put French drains in the area for the swing set, so the last thing I want are willow roots.

Advertisement