Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Oil work?

Options
  • 14-03-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I’m buying my first house with my other half at the moment, we’re getting a new build that will be finished at the end of April.

I’m wondering has anybody got experience with how the heating oil works? I mean to ask, how much, if any oil “comes with the house”?

Surely they need to have some in it to test the system, etc. I don’t want to bombard my builder with even more questions so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Timooo_23 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I’m buying my first house with my other half at the moment, we’re getting a new build that will be finished at the end of April.

I’m wondering has anybody got experience with how the heating oil works? I mean to ask, how much, if any oil “comes with the house”?

Surely they need to have some in it to test the system, etc. I don’t want to bombard my builder with even more questions so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Go and have a look in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He might just throw a few gallons in the tank to set it up.
    You will likely need to get oil immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You order oil from a supplier.There will be a small amount put it to check the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Car99 wrote: »
    Go and have a look in the tank.

Well there’s no tank yet sooo...?

_Brian wrote: »

Cheers, that’s what I thought/ was hoping for. I just had a little fear that I’d have to get it set up myself after I got oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The oil itself does no work. It sits in the tank until released to the boiler where it is burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Well take it that when the tank is there ,you will probably be told by the builder to order oil asap so the plumber can get to working on that part of the set up.

They wont buy you oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Brian wrote: »

Setup could be done from a 5 gallon drum

Is there one being supplied? How secure is the back of the property? It's common enough for people with oil tanks to wake up to no oil and a hole in the bottom of the tank. So a lot now just use big drums in a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The next step is obvious in that case soooooo......

Del2005 wrote: »
    Setup could be done from a 5 gallon drum

Is there one being supplied? How secure is the back of the property? It's common enough for people with oil tanks to wake up to no oil and a hole in the bottom of the tank. So a lot now just use big drums in a shed.

It’s going to be in a good secure area. Tank is supplied. House will be ‘turn key’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Make sure you know what fuel type the burner has been set to run on, kerosene or MGO, the default nowadays is kerosene.
    If you want, just before you move in, find a petrol station that sells home heating oil and fill a 25l jerry can with the appropriate oil type (some stations may sell full drums). If there's no fuel in the tank, 25l will keep you going for a few days (couple of hours/day) until you order some oil otherwise just add the oil to the existing oil in the tank.

Advertisement