Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding appliance delivery for months?

Options
  • 14-03-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Bought a house but it wont be ready for a few months. We've bought most of the stuff we need and they’re happy to deliver when we’re ready.

Im wondering if thats the same situation with large kitchen appliances, can you buy and tell them in 3 months or when you’re ready or do these types of shops be looking to get things out asap? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

There are a number of questions with regard to this.

When does your warranty begin?
    Why give your money to a company, and not have the use of it yourself for a period of months?
    If the company goes out of business, is your product safe?
    A new model could come out with more features in the meantime, for the same price, or cause the existing model to drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I done the kitchen last year and ordered the stuff about 3 months in advance. They had no problem "holding" it because they were just ordering the stuff in as needed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I paid for all my new kitchen appliances 2 months before they were delivered by Harvey Norman. I didn't have to pay in full to reserve them.
    Warranty starts when you take delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Why give your money to a company, and not have the use of it yourself for a period of months?
    If the company goes out of business, is your product safe?
    A new model could come out with more features in the meantime, for the same price, or cause the existing model to drop in price.

Warranty starts on delivery
    Interest rates are zero - no advantage/disadvantage
    Pay by card if concerned about a business - chargeback applies for 120 days after expected delivery date
    New models come in constantly - frankly there's feck all new about them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

silver2020 wrote: »
    Warranty starts on delivery
    Interest rates are zero - no advantage/disadvantage
    Pay by card if concerned about a business - chargeback applies for 120 days after expected delivery date
    New models come in constantly - frankly there's feck all new about them

Not necessarily interest rates, but what if you need the €1000 or whatever it costs for a fridge in the meantime? I see no advantage in giving a company money before you have to.

Agreed, hardly any difference, but the prices of the old models do drop. I was looking at an over the other day. Saleman told me to wait a week because the price was due to come down by €100 due to a new model coming out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You don’t pay in full for them to keep them for you. You pay a deposit, it’s a handy way for you to have them stored for you whilst you might wait for one or two back ordered items to come in and get delivered and fitted all in one go.

You can also flip your argument (“why spend money when you might need it”) the other way around you might want to get rid of some now so that you’re not hit with a larger sum amount later on. Although if you budget correctly it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Why give your money to a company, and not have the use of it yourself for a period of months?.

Easier to budget when ye already have what ye need bought. Ye don’t need to keep track of what you owe (and easier to work out the cost of what you still need to buy)

It also means you can give them dates in plenty of time rather than buying a couch with 2 weeks to go and finding out you’ll need to wait 8 weeks for it

Thanks for the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You have to have 100% faith that the company won’t close.

Unless you are getting them at an absolute bargain , I’d hold off till closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the current climate some retailers will sadly not be around in a few months. If you paid cash I'd get the goods stored as soon as you can at relatives or friends places or else risk losing them if retailer goes bust.

Advertisement