Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME Maynooth or Trinity

• 15-03-2020 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have applied for the PME in Maynooth and am considering applying for Trinity. I had a look at rent in Maynooth and I was gobsmacked! I looked at rent in Dublin away from the city and it was more affordable so rent I guess doesn't play a huge factor at the end of the day.

I have a science degree and am in my mid 20s. I have never lived anywhere east of the country. I don't know anyone who has or is a student in either college. Has anyone any advice (or am I crazy to consider teaching at all? People have told me kids are unmanageable these days and how they would not enter the profession of they could go back). A big thing for me would be my social life, I'm a bit reserved so I find it difficult to make friends so a setting that would enable that is important to me, as well as other factors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Maynooth is very pricey for rent precisely because its a University town and that Intel is only five minutes down the road.

We get a lot of Maynooth PME in our place. Seem to enjoy it and Maynooth is a grand town. Trinity has Dublin City centre to choose from though.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

In terms of course quality you really are getting the same. For Maynooth, If you can drive have a look at prices of accommodation in Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Kilcock, Navan. Bus service isn’t bad too. The PME is such an intensive course , you’ll be be very busy throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Trinity still only inspect you in one of your subjects. That was always the case and some people were happier with that setup. Others viewed it poorly for that same reason however.

I have studied education courses with both colleges and they were both fairly equal in terms of quality I think - though I obviously can't compare the same course in each. I had teaching practice students from both over the years and they all seemed to get along well.

Really most of all I would just go for whichever is most convenient. City centre is good for commuting by public transport. If you drive Maynooth would be handy from lots of places with cheaper accommodation. Maynooth is a great town for students and the Education faculty is very friendly and exceptionally caring of students in my experience. I didn't find Trinity to have such good personal connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Just to add, Maynooth is also on the train line so it's accessible from many parts of Dublin and beyond. Also you need to consider where you'll do your teaching practice as the week is half in college/half in school. That might also have a bearing on where you choose to live.

And having attended Trinity and Maynooth, I found Maynooth was a smaller, tighter community and it was easier to make friends there, just in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I have applied for the PME in Maynooth and am considering applying for Trinity. I had a look at rent in Maynooth and I was gobsmacked! I looked at rent in Dublin away from the city and it was more affordable so rent I guess doesn't play a huge factor at the end of the day.

I have a science degree and am in my mid 20s. I have never lived anywhere east of the country. I don't know anyone who has or is a student in either college. Has anyone any advice (or am I crazy to consider teaching at all? People have told me kids are unmanageable these days and how they would not enter the profession of they could go back). A big thing for me would be my social life, I'm a bit reserved so I find it difficult to make friends so a setting that would enable that is important to me, as well as other factors.

Hi there,

I studied in Dublin as an undergrad, fadó fadó, but had friends in Maynooth and the community was very tight knit and friendly, but from what I've heard with PMEs, you're on a tighter timescale so you'll be busy.

In Maynooth your placement has to be within 160km of the university, but in TCD it has to be within 35km - I'd challenge NUIM to see if that's each way of return, but as you're only in college from Monday to Wednesday it might be easier to find digs or a BnB than renting something if you're rarely in Maynooth itself? With TCD you'll be in Dublin or the commuter belt, you have less flex.

Course-wise, I'm useless to you, but I don't know if the placement piece is helpful, hopefully you'll enjoy it wherever you decide to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Blush_01 wrote: »
    In Maynooth your placement has to be within 160km of the university, but in TCD it has to be within 35km - I'd challenge NUIM to see if that's each way of return, but as you're only in college from Monday to Wednesday it might be easier to find digs or a BnB than renting something if you're rarely in Maynooth itself? With TCD you'll be in Dublin or the commuter belt, you have less flex.

Maynooth placement is 160km each way so lots of room for schools outside of the area. OP I'm in a very similar situation, did my science undergrad in Trinity and have gone back to Maynooth for the PME in my mid 20s. I chose Maynooth for a few reasons, mostly personal, but also because the fees are substantially lower - for Trinity you're paying €6,500 each year, for Maynooth it's €6,000 year 1 and €4,800 year 2. In terms of the course itself I'm really enjoying it. Feel free to PM for any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Feel free to PM me, I have good info on both.

Advertisement