Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many white stones do i need.

Options
  • 15-03-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have a tiny outside space (7sqm) that i need to fill with stones so im not dragging dirt into the house.
    Right now its a mix of earth and rubble with a couple of exposed pipes that are running from the house (basically a construction site)

Can i just put white stones on top of this or do i need something else.
    I have to cone up about 20mm to my door step.
    Do i just fill it with stones or do i need a bed of something else underneath the stones. If so what would it be
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

804 compacted then your white stone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd probably need to whack some hardcore down first, to stop the pebbles from being pushed down into the mud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

however, if it's a 7 sqm plot, and you need 20mm, that's 0.14 cubic metres of stones, or about one seventh of a cubic metre of white stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

you'd probably need to whack some hardcore down first, to stop the pebbles from being pushed down into the mud.

pardon my ignorance but where will i get hardcore?
    Do garden centres have it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that.
    So i guess 10mm of that plus 10mm of white stones.

Anybody got any watch outs with white stones? Something i should do to keep them nice?

seannash wrote: »
    Thank you for that.
    So i guess 10mm of that plus 10mm of white stones.

Anybody got any watch outs with white stones? Something i should do to keep them nice?

Sean, you'd be better off to dig out some of the topsoil. Go down a few inches, lay and whack your hard core, then use a weed protection membrane and then put about two inches of pebbles.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Sean, you'd be better off to dig out some of the topsoil. Go down a few inches, lay and whack your hard core, then use a weed protection membrane and then put about two inches of pebbles.

Oh!! That is a pretty good idea!
    Are they effective?

Oh!! That is a pretty good idea!
    Are they effective?

The membranes are being improved all the time, there are some very cheap ones but for such a small area it's worth it to buy a good quality one.

You'll still probably have to hand pick a few weeds over time because the seeds will be deposited there in bird poo but they are very worthwhile to use.

The membranes are being improved all the time, there are some very cheap ones but for such a small area it's worth it to buy a good quality one.

You'll still probably have to hand pick a few weeds over time because the seeds will be deposited there in bird poo but they are very worthwhile to use.

Sorry to be a pest but could you recommend a brand of one

• Advertisement

Sorry to be a pest but could you recommend a brand of one

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

however, if it's a 7 sqm plot, and you need 20mm, that's 0.14 cubic metres of stones, or about one seventh of a cubic metre of white stones.

I am no mathematician but can that be right? - Ah, its not 20mm its 20cm - though he would probably only need 10cm on top of a base.

looksee wrote: »
    I am no mathematician but can that be right? - Ah, its not 20mm its 20cm - though he would probably only need 10cm on top of a base.

Crap no your right. It is 20cm!
    Would i then still need to dig down do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭standardg60

Generally a ton covers 10sqm at a 10cm depth, so a ton bag of hardcore plus one of pebble should do the job. If you're building up 20cm there's no need to dig down any further, and yes use a membrane (not plastic) between the two layers.

what sort of pebble? my understanding was you'd never want more than 2 inches of gravel (or whatever sort of loose decorative stone you're using) otherwise it'll behave almost like sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Regarding the word "whack" ; it implies that you will have to hire a mechanical compacting machine known colloquially as a "Whacker".
    If you have a tow-hitch, you will be able to collect and return it yourself, otherwise the hire shop will deliver and collect it.

Advertisement