Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-parenting from different households during Covid 19 self isolation?

Options
  • 15-03-2020 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

What are your opinions on the intermixing of different households ie Dad is living with girlfriend and kids and coming to visit spend time with own kids during the Covid19 outbreak, should we be doing facetime instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Unquestionably yes. Risk of cross-contamination is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I've voluntarily given up my access for the duration of this pandemic. Don't wish to put my child at risk, the people she lives with,my other children or indeed the others that i live with. It's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

I am living alone and working from home alone every day so there is no risk here. My son is more at risk of contracting COVID-19 from his mother and her family. Also my ex has been actively trying to alienate me from my children (she has broken the Court Order three times already) so I really do need to maintain the relationship with my kids.

My son is 3 and does not want to talk to anyone on the phone, even when he is with me and she rings, he just has no interest in talking on phones or videocalls. If she has her way and alienates the kids from me for the next few months, irrevocable damage could be done to the relationships.

Maybe it's different if your kids are already grown up by my 3 year-old and my baby need me. And I need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Ann84

Rezident wrote: »
    I am living alone and working from home alone every day so there is no risk here. My son is more at risk of contracting COVID-19 from his mother and her family. Also my ex has been actively trying to alienate me from my children (she has broken the Court Order three times already) so I really do need to maintain the relationship with my kids.

My son is 3 and does not want to talk to anyone on the phone, even when he is with me and she rings, he just has no interest in talking on phones or videocalls. If she has her way and alienates the kids from me for the next few months, irrevocable damage could be done to the relationships.

Maybe it's different if your kids are already grown up by my 3 year-old and my baby need me. And I need them.

I’d argue the opposite - your guys are so small they won’t remember this at all, you might but your the adult - I think everyone has to put their kids first and in doing so, stick to HSE guidelines and avoid any uneccesary exposure in the short term.
    I understand you miss them and they are definitely not great on the phone at 3 which is just worse but maybe your ex could send you regular pics/ updates to help you through?
    Separately, don’t let your ex alienate you from your kids, don’t mix this exceptional situation and her ongoing poor behaviour, putting your kids first should be her aim but we all know it’s not that easy while emotions are high - it will hopefully settle down with time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Rezident wrote: »

I really feel for you. That's such an awful situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Some information here:

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/separated-parents-wrongly-denied-access-to-children-over-virus-fears-39077343.html

Basically access should continue, obviously taking all relevant precautions taking into account your specific circumstances.

Advertisement