Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Crossing New Horizons (Player list in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Stardew is a different breed of the same beast. You have limited time per in game day and you have.to compartmentalise your goals and stick to a schedule if you want to achieve them. It's more conventional in that it has a really compelling 'just one more day...' gameplay loop. And then suddenly it's 7am and you're calling in sick because your blueberries are coming in.

Animal Crossing is real time clock so it's more about how much you want to play, and for the most part doing what you like to do rather than grinding for rewards. It's a long-term game that you might only play for 20 minutes. But every day for the next five years.

So SDV you fight the coming night, AC:NH you wait patiently for dawn and hunt tarantulas to pass the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

There must be a meteor shower above my island tonight, have gotten 15 stars in 10 minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Banjo wrote: »
    Stardew is a different breed of the same beast. You have limited time per in game day and you have.to compartmentalise your goals and stick to a schedule if you want to achieve them. It's more conventional in that it has a really compelling 'just one more day...' gameplay loop. And then suddenly it's 7am and you're calling in sick because your blueberries are coming in.

Animal Crossing is real time clock so it's more about how much you want to play, and for the most part doing what you like to do rather than grinding for rewards. It's a long-term game that you might only play for 20 minutes. But every day for the next five years.

So SDV you fight the coming night, AC:NH you wait patiently for dawn and hunt tarantulas to pass the meantime

Thanks, with two kids, I dont think ill have the time for AC

Thanks, with two kids, I dont think ill have the time for AC

I have three and a job that is still active. Just sayin'
    ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I caught a stringfish this evening and I have genuinely never been happier in a game. Grinding that bloody bait for futile expeditions to the cliffs nearly destroyed me... and then naturally the stringfish was just there, randomly, when I passed by the pond on a different mission to collect wisp’s little spirits.

Endless sturgeon on my island, and have caught two coelacanths and a golden trout... but that bloody stringfish waited til the last few hours of March to bloody finally show up.

(I should emphasise that despite the stress catching that fish caused, I am thoroughly enjoying my first AC game since the GameCube one and it is precisely the tonic needed at these very indoor times).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Timmy offering me 25 bells per turnip. Little sh*t.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Turned it on for a few minutes earlier this morning - first time seeing the island in daylight which was nice. Had all sorts of messages beeping at me that I forgot I had just stepped outside of my first house! :pac:

That storage space is going to be so handy. Have 2 more fossils to find to open the museum. Can't wait. :o

Timmy offering me 25 bells per turnip. Little sh*t.

Ouch! Early days though... right....? .....right....?

48 here, steady decline from Monday... hoping it will hit rock bottom and bounce up hard... Papa needs a new pair of rubber toed sneakers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

There must be a meteor shower above my island tonight, have gotten 15 stars in 10 minutes :D

Usual they'll mention it in the morning briefing. You know you wish on them? I had no clue and just watched them and said they are pretty. Me missus on the other hand spend ages just wishing and wishing the other night and deeper the rewards the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm never up early enough on a Sunday to get turnips :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Looks like AC could become the biggest selling switch game in Japan , and quite soon ...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/04/japanese_charts_animal_crossing_new_horizons_looks_unstoppable_with_mighty_second_week_on_sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Okay I'm starting to get back into this but the real time is stupid, I've started now to adjust my clock to skip to the next day, do all I can, skip to next day and so on.

Bad move! That accelerates the onset of Egg Day and.gou need all the time you can get to bag leaf eggs and earth eggs and sky eggs etc.

Banjo wrote: »
    Bad move! That accelerates the onset of Egg Day and.gou need all the time you can get to bag leaf eggs and earth eggs and sky eggs etc.

I've gotten plenty last night. I made the egg bet and egg outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Each to their own but I think time skipping will just ruin the game for you, you'll achieve everything way quicker but then will have nothing to look forward to

Each to their own but I think time skipping will just ruin the game for you, you'll achieve everything way quicker but then will have nothing to look forward to

I don't think so, better than waiting 16 real time hours for a shop to open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I say this with all due respect of the different way people play, but seriously: don’t change the clock :) Animal Crossing is about settling into a daily, unhurried rhythm, chipping away at your current goals and loans over days or weeks. It’s a game truly at its best when you pop in for 30-45 mins a day, after the initial week or two at least. Things take time for a reason, because it’s not a game to be ‘completed’ or anything like that. That seems particularly strange at these times when there’s so little to do IRL, but if anything I think having that daily routine of popping into AC for a bit is actually inadvertently tailor made for a lengthy period of social distancing.

As said, people play differently, and that style of gameplay mightn’t be for everyone. But real time IS Animal Crossing, and taking it at a chilled and unhurried pace is the optimal way to play, even if it goes against everything many other games have taught us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

I say this with all due respect of the different way people play, but seriously: don’t change the clock :) Animal Crossing is about settling into a daily, unhurried rhythm, chipping away at your current goals and loans over days or weeks. It’s a game truly at its best when you pop in for 30-45 mins a day, after the initial week or two at least. Things take time for a reason, because it’s not a game to be ‘completed’ or anything like that. That seems particularly strange at these times when there’s so little to do IRL, but if anything I think having that daily routine of popping into AC for a bit is actually inadvertently tailor made for a lengthy period of social distancing.

As said, people play differently, and that style of gameplay mightn’t be for everyone. But real time IS Animal Crossing, and taking it at a chilled and unhurried pace is the optimal way to play, even if it goes against everything many other games have taught us :)

Yep, just like BOTW.

I get that's how you wanna play but that's not how I play games, I focus on one game, till it's finished and I move onto the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The achievements get messy if you time travel you get bonus points on the abd for visiting each day in a row that screws up if you really go too far with time traveling your residents will leave the island.

I've not done too much so far just a few days back and forth but it has screwed the achievements up some say earlier dates for later achievements and I've clocked up 20 days of consecutive play but the game isn't out 20 days yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

What the heck do i do with the eggs? I zipped pass the convo and they are everywhere. Even the fish. Do i sell them or store them the rabbit says see ya on the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

If anyone wants to add me, here's my switch code.

SW-4001-2833-0443

Send me an invite or your code too

Im slowly getting to grips with it. Badly need to get a shovel for the iron nuggets! Enjoyable though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

New Horizons event in Smash Ultimate from Friday, four new ACNH related spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

Am I the only one freaked out by the bunny? It follows the direction of your movement as you go around it and I'm getting serial killer vibes from it! :D

I got to meet Flick today and he's rather cool. Got thousands of bells from him too.

What the heck do i do with the eggs? I zipped pass the convo and they are everywhere. Even the fish. Do i sell them or store them the rabbit says see ya on the last day.

He has hidden DIY projects all over the island with the eggs being used to make them up

Watch out for balloons and smash rocks and did up eggs too there are six types you'll need all of them so get hunting.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I get that's how you wanna play but that's not how I play games, I focus on one game, till it's finished and I move onto the next.

You do you. All I can say is that Animal Crossing isn’t designed like other games, and brute forcing it to ‘finish it’ is completely contrary to the game’s design and philosophy. You can push on ahead however you like, we can’t stop you! All we can say is you’re not playing the game the way it’s meant to be played and you’ll have a lesser experience. But hey, hope you enjoy it whatever method you settle on.

I don’t suppose it’s possible to sort your inventory like you can storage? Other than by dropping items and picking them up in a specific sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not easily... You can move the little hand icon over an item, hold A then drag it to where you want it, but it is cumbersome.

BTW: the order you have your tools in is the order in which they'll cycle if you're using left/right on the d-pad to cycle through them. (Though the tool ring is handy, it does only accommodate 8 tools)

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    Not easily... You can move the little hand icon over an item, hold A then drag it to where you want it, but it is cumbersome.

BTW: the order you have your tools in is the order in which they'll cycle if you're using left/right on the d-pad to cycle through them. (Though the tool ring is handy, it does only accommodate 8 tools)

Nice one! I'll try that later. Being able to drag them about is better than nothing. The left/right tool selection was driving me nuts so made sure I got that tool ring thing quick as I could, and extra inventory space. A few QoL things like that in the game are a bit annoying - like when you come out of a building the camera is always zoomed in, prefer it zoomed out. Also wish you could pan the camera around rather than how it's fixed, annoying not being able to see behind a tree etc.

Also, damn the museum takes ages to build, thought it would just be a single day. :(

Currently trying to get 30 iron for the shop upgrade, hoping another island trip will get me there.

Advertisement