Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Crossing New Horizons (Player list in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got a pink kangaroo Marcie as my 2nd recruit yes she has a baby in the pouch I love this game it's such a great stress relief

I'm looking for Bob the Cat and Octavian the Octopus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't forget to order the daily song from the ATM and install it on your stereo so KK knows you're a fan when he finally shows up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm going to catch a stringfish if it fcuking kills me

bait.jpg

Just realised that you only get 80% of an item's value if you put it in the shop's dropbox, seems a little dumb that building the shop means you go from a 24 hour store to an 8am-10pm store where you can't get full price on products in the off time.

• Advertisement

I guess the trade.off is the Hot Item? And progression of the island, ladder access and the expanded sales inventory. Not great, I guess, but better than sitting on a tonne of beetles all night waiting for the shop to open.

8 tarantulas bagged tonight on a particularly hairy nook miles island. Up yours, you eight legged freaks! I've got your number!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Banjo wrote: »
    I guess the trade.off is the Hot Item? And progression of the island, ladder access and the expanded sales inventory. Not great, I guess, but better than sitting on a tonne of beetles all night waiting for the shop to open.

8 tarantulas bagged tonight on a particularly hairy nook miles island. Up yours, you eight legged freaks! I've got your number!

The other trade off is not having to go into the shop and have the little creeps follow you around. They are cute... but they crowd you.

Encountered my first tarantula last night, jaysus they are freaky. Was holding the vaulting pole and ran into it and it sort of bumbled around but as soon as I backed off a little and took out my net it got defensive and raised its front legs. So gross. There are scorpions later on in the year too.

If getting chased by wasps save your game and restart and they're gone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If getting chased by wasps save your game and restart and they're gone

Or catch them with your net :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

chrislad wrote: »
    Or catch them with your net :)

Or make your own medicine with the empty bees nest & 3 weeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Rhyme wrote: »
    The other trade off is not having to go into the shop and have the little creeps follow you around. They are cute... but they crowd you.

Encountered my first tarantula last night, jaysus they are freaky. Was holding the vaulting pole and ran into it and it sort of bumbled around but as soon as I backed off a little and took out my net it got defensive and raised its front legs. So gross. There are scorpions later on in the year too.
    My daughter went to a tarantula island and filled up her entire inventory dumped everything except her net. Loaded she was over 200ks worth.

I've found the bamboo island but not the spider one

iamtony wrote: »
    My daughter went to a tarantula island and filled up her entire inventory dumped everything except her net. Loaded she was over 200ks worth.
    I've found the bamboo island but not the spider one

All I have found is multiple instances of 'my island but with a big pond' and no hills. Disappointing. Will keep looking.

I've left my gate open most evenings/nights but no visitors yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

How many times do you need to shake a tree before furniture falls out? Is once enough or do I need to shake every tree 10 times just to be sure?

iamtony wrote: »

This is my plan for tonight. I saw a Twitch streamer do this (RTGameCrowd). You can also make any island a tarantula one. Just chop down & dig up all the trees, pick all weeds & flowers, leaving nothing else to spawn.

8000 each! I'm rich!
    OK - so I've heard of Tarantula Island with the spiders in the middle but this wasn't it. It was a regular Nook Miles island that I had entirely stripped of resources. Then a Tarantula bit me. So I thought "feck it, I'm nabbing that son of a lady tarantula!" and went after him. I couldn't find him at first but after running around a bit, there he was. It was a very tense few minutes creeping up, waiting for him to de-rear, creeping a little again, etc etc and then catching him. But I was on the far end of the island now and on my run down to the dock there was another one. Jaysus! And that bugger bit me. So I thought I'd build a fire-break of holes (the lake in the middle of the island meant 5 holes would separate one half of the island from the other) so if he chased me I could jump it. But when I fecked up the next catch and tried to jump the holes I got stuck and he bit me again.

I've googled this and there's a science to it that matches what I did -
    1. Play at night
    2. Strip the island - pull the flowers, pick the weeds, dig up the tree stumps, break the rocks. Leave NOTHING!
    3. Dig some holes, so you can run for your life.
    4. Run around. This forces bugs to generate, and they generate based on the local flora. But there isn't any. So that limits you to the Wharf Roach, Tiger Beetle, Tarantula and something that chirps but I can't find the bugger. Scare away what you don't want till the Tarantula comes.

I got 8 in about 40 minutes including stripping the island and that was without knowing that there was a plan.

With #3 above, I found that if I made a channel leading to the jump I could jump the hole accurately - then the tarantula would run around where I jumped from and I could catch him - much easier and quicker than creeping up on it.

|*|
    ->|*|:cool:

So I had like a checkerboard of holes that blocked it's path, and I'd run in between 2 holes (where the -> is) to jump a third and land like Morphius from the Matrix, hence the shades - those 2 holes either side of me meant I was always lined up with the hole I was jumping.

Banjo wrote: »
    8000 each! I'm rich!
    OK - so I've heard of Tarantula Island with the spiders in the middle but this wasn't it. It was a regular Nook Miles island that I had entirely stripped of resources. Then a Tarantula bit me. So I thought "feck it, I'm nabbing that son of a lady tarantula!" and went after him. I couldn't find him at first but after running around a bit, there he was. It was a very tense few minutes creeping up, waiting for him to de-rear, creeping a little again, etc etc and then catching him. But I was on the far end of the island now and on my run down to the dock there was another one. Jaysus! And that bugger bit me. So I thought I'd build a fire-break of holes (the lake in the middle of the island meant 5 holes would separate one half of the island from the other) so if he chased me I could jump it. But when I fecked up the next catch and tried to jump the holes I got stuck and he bit me again.

I've googled this and there's a science to it that matches what I did -
    1. Play at night
    2. Strip the island - pull the flowers, pick the weeds, dig up the tree stumps, break the rocks. Leave NOTHING!
    3. Dig some holes, so you can run for your life.
    4. Run around. This forces bugs to generate, and they generate based on the local flora. But there isn't any. So that limits you to the Wharf Roach, Tiger Beetle, Tarantula and something that chirps but I can't find the bugger. Scare away what you don't want till the Tarantula comes.

I got 8 in about 40 minutes including stripping the island and that was without knowing that there was a plan.

With #3 above, I found that if I made a channel leading to the jump I could jump the hole accurately - then the tarantula would run around where I jumped from and I could catch him - much easier and quicker than creeping up on it.

|*|
    ->|*|:cool:

So I had like a checkerboard of holes that blocked it's path, and I'd run in between 2 holes (where the -> is) to jump a third and land like Morphius from the Matrix, hence the shades - those 2 holes either side of me meant I was always lined up with the hole I was jumping.

The thing that chirps is a cricket. They spawn underground. Listen to where it’s loudest & dig!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

When the store closes at 10 the evening before but you've decided to do some late-night fishing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Anyone manage to catch a stringfish ? 40 pieces of bait later and all I have to show for it is plentiful black bass. I'm reliably informed that it is in fact the most metal of fish.

Don't want to time travel so trying to catch all the bugs/fish leaving Tuesday.

According to this: https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-acnh-guide/2020/3/25/21194292/march-bugs-fish-insects-critterpedia-leaving-last-chance

The only ones I'm missing are the stringfish and the Sturgeon. I managed to get the football fish by chance.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Anyone manage to catch a stringfish ? 40 pieces of bait later and all I have to show for it is plentiful black bass. I'm reliably informed that it is in fact the most metal of fish.

According to this: https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-acnh-guide/2020/3/25/21194292/march-bugs-fish-insects-critterpedia-leaving-last-chance

The only ones I'm missing are the stringfish and the Sturgeon. I managed to get the football fish by chance.

Got him last night.

stringfish.jpg

I found both the Stringfish and Sturgeon on mystery islands, I feel like they have a much higher drop rate for rare fish.

• Advertisement

Just caught one! Took me 28 goes with bait. Not too bad!
    Caught a tuna this morning too. I think there’s another rare fish caught from the pier. Is it a shark? I have the oarfish and the football fish.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just on day 3 and I'm addicted. Will anyone be my friend :(:(:(

I'd like to visit other people's islands

Edit:Added everyone posted their friend code.

Mine is 3085-3639-0120

Just on day 3 and I'm addicted. Will anyone be my friend :(:(:(

I'd like to visit other people's islands

If you post your friend code in the Sticky thread, people can add you.

My Dodo code for visiting tonight is 87422.

edit: I'm slow at responding :)

edit 2: changed the code so it's open for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Just caught one! Took me 28 goes with bait. Not too bad!
    Caught a tuna this morning too. I think there’s another rare fish caught from the pier. Is it a shark? I have the oarfish and the football fish.

The Blue Marlin is the other rare one at the pier.

Did you catch it in a narrow part of the river or the round pond-like bit where the river starts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/animal-crossing-new-horizons-digital-download-3199-with-15-topcashback-from-gamecouk-via-topcashback-3428612

Just posting this here. Possiblity of getting this for £16.99 from Game in the UK with TopCashBack with some accounts.

Edit: Game fixed it on their site and it's back to £59.99. Missed out trying to get logged into PayPal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭rumplyconch

Just got the stringfish there!! Took a mountain of bait but he finally showed up!! Got him at the top of the lowest waterfall.

Finally got my first non-native fruit island with nook miles so now only need oranges and bamboo....

Just got back to back Marlin and Tuna on the pier :eek:

EDIT: Another Marlin!

The Blue Marlin is the other rare one at the pier.

Did you catch it in a narrow part of the river or the round pond-like bit where the river starts ?

I caught the string fish on higher ground at the point where a waterfall comes down from a higher level

• Advertisement

Not sure I’m going to sleep tonight! Went to a book miles island & razed it to the ground. Caught 14 tarantulas before I couldn’t take any more! Was knocked out 3 times. Got 112,000 bells for my troubles.

Advertisement