Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

jmreire wrote: »
    So at 1989, its 31 years old,. and qualifies for vintage tax. What bracket is it insured under? My friend has a 1995 Toyota Corolla, which is now 25 years old. He bought it s/h about 1998, and has driven it since,,,something like 400'000 miles on it, passed its' NCT just before the virus shutdown, and it's still his daily vehicle. No bother with getting insurance. But if now if he want's (for example) to sell it, then any new driver will have problem getting insurance on it due to it's age.

Luckily garage insurance covers me for any car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Cyrus wrote: »
    You are limiting it to the eu now

You made a baseless comment get over it and stop digging

Nope....only digging I'm doing is in the garden. Read my comment again. Sure, the stats come from the EU., but I mention the whole world as well if you read it again, just I have better things to do than searching world wide stats, which would show an even greater discrepancy than the 27 EU Country's.
    Anyway, here it is again:-

"Out of the 27 member states, taking 10 years as the standard,17 have an average age of more that 10 years, varying from 10.1 to 16.9. If you were to include the whole world, I'm pretty sure that the variation would be much greater ( and taking Japan, Singapore etc as a base point ). "

greasepalm wrote: »
    Luckily garage insurance covers me for any car.

Yes, you are lucky to have it, I know the feeling, and not wondering " Am I insured or not " :D

swarlb wrote: »
    Okay... so, basically what you wrote is not exactly the reality, in fact Ireland is quite relaxed in many ways regarding car ownership...
    As yet... "Exactly !! But I shudder when I think Budget 2021, and Covid -19.....
    We have no restrictions as to how you can use your car, and I'm talking emissions based punitive charges like London for example.
    Sure they have higher emission zones in London, but that does not mean that they use age of vehicle for insurance purposes. They don't, just the MOT.
    We have a reduced tax rate for older cars, so rather than 'punish' people who like their cars 'old' we actually reward them.
    You are speaking about classic / vintage cars, these cars, by definition, all of their "working" lives will have been taxed to the hilt based on CC, so definitely should get a break, "in their old age "!!! .
    While I agree that tax rates are somewhat excessive for cars 'in between' , that's life... swings and roundabouts. While the Nr of pre 2008 cars on the roads continues to fall,they are still quite numerous, and a segment of Irish society continues to be burdened with high motor tax. The only advantage from this arrangement is that because of the high tax costs, it's now possible to buy for comparatively small money, a high class high spec car, which would have been extremely expensive to buy when new.
    There are plenty of insurance companies that will insure your '20 year old car' as a classic, and not only at a reduced rate, but several cars at a reduced rate. I myself have 2 90's cars insured this way.
    Sure vintage insurance is not a problem,,and you can insure several vehicles, as you have. Problem with vintage /classic insurance is that you have to meet certain condition's,
    Be over 25 Years of age.
    Own another car which is covered by "normal" insurance,
    Mileage is limited to 10'000 Klms per year, or 200 klms per week.
    This insurance is basically a hobby insurance,, and not intended for everyday normal usage. Try to get "Normal" insurance on either of your two classics, and see how you get on. ( BTW, out of my own personal interest in Classics / vintage cars, what are they? )

There are far more 'punitive' regimes around the world than Ireland...
    Sure there are as in everything, And there are far less punitive one out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

.no other Country that I know of puts such restriction's on how long you keep a car for.

This is what you said

It was pointed out that was incorrect

Nothing more nothing less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Sure there are as in everything, And there are far less punitive one out there too.

How do you type a post in 'bold type'.... ?? Does it take long ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Put b in brackets []then type your post and finish with /b in the same brackets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well lads, tomorrow is the bige day :pac:

Man your ozone machines, polish your plexiglass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What's the story on travelling to a garage that's more than 5k from home from tomorrow onwards ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What's the story on travelling to a garage that's more than 5k from home from tomorrow onwards ?

Just do it. It's complete and utter nonsense.

As Steno said, put B in brackets at the beginning of what ever you are typing, and at the end, job done, Another way is to type away until you have competed it. Then select the part you want to highlight, as I did with your post, click on the B you can see in the top left hand corner of the box surrounding this post, and the selected section will appear in bold.
    If you click on the next icon, "/" all you have selected will appear slanted.
    The next icon the underlined U, will underline all the selected. Etc
    All of these icons when selected and clicked on, will convert the selected text to the properties of the selected icon
    The upper icons, control size and color etc,
    Experiment a bit, and you will see what you can do,:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Same as the 2km limit, you can travel outside it if it's for an essential trip.

This is what you said

It was pointed out that was incorrect

Nothing more nothing less

It was not incorrect.
    Quote :
    no other Country that I know of puts such restriction's on how long you keep a car for. Unquote.

Yes, but what I said was 100 % correct, and I stand behind it 100% because my comment is based on my own personal experience. " That I know of "For more that 23 years, I have worked abroad for an international organization in fleet management, which includes making sure that all of our vehicles comply with the rules and regulations of the particular Country we happen to be working in. Just to give you a general idea without going into too much detail's, ( which I can do, if I have to) I've been in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Balkans, Russia,and closer to home, Switzerland, France , Germany. In none of these Country's when I was negotiating vehicle insurance has the age of the vehicle been an issue. I've never even heard it mentioned. Technical condition, driver licence and experience, yes in every Country. Even in England, age of vehicle is not an issue.
    So when I said " No Country that I know " thats what i meant exactly. It is literally true, I have never seen a country apart from Ireland that use's the age of the vehicle as ground's to refuse cover. Which, of course gives a person no choice except to get a newer car, even if the existing car has valid NCT, and loads of life left in it. People driving 20 year's + old cars here and abroad is proof of that. Now if you feel like digging a bit yourself and see if you can come up with a Country where like Ireland, age is an issue for insurers, feel free., I'd like to hear of them, just in case I might find myself there someday. And next time you see something which strikes you as being "incorrect", might not be a bad idea to ask the poster, how they have arrived at that conclusion instead of jumping in with "That's incorrect"? Just an idea.

It was not incorrect.
    Quote :
    no other Country that I know of puts such restriction's on how long you keep a car for. Unquote.

Yes, but what I said was 100 % correct, and I stand behind it 100% because my comment is based on my own personal experience. " That I know of "For more that 23 years, I have worked abroad for an international organization in fleet management, which includes making sure that all of our vehicles comply with the rules and regulations of the particular Country we happen to be working in. Just to give you a general idea without going into too much detail's, ( which I can do, if I have to) I've been in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Balkans, Russia,and closer to home, Switzerland, France , Germany. In none of these Country's when I was negotiating vehicle insurance has the age of the vehicle been an issue. I've never even heard it mentioned. Technical condition, driver licence and experience, yes in every Country. Even in England, age of vehicle is not an issue.
    So when I said " No Country that I know " thats what i meant exactly. It is literally true, I have never seen a country apart from Ireland that use's the age of the vehicle as ground's to refuse cover. Which, of course gives a person no choice except to get a newer car, even if the existing car has valid NCT, and loads of life left in it. People driving 20 year's + old cars here and abroad is proof of that. Now if you feel like digging a bit yourself and see if you can come up with a Country where like Ireland, age is an issue for insurers, feel free., I'd like to hear of them, just in case I might find myself there someday. And next time you see something which strikes you as being "incorrect", might not be a bad idea to ask the poster, how they have arrived at that conclusion instead of jumping in with "That's incorrect"? Just an idea.

so you are using your ignorance as a defence ? For such a well travelled fellow I'm surprised !

Why do you think there was some many Japanese imports into Ireland in the past ?

I've never seen someone dig so much :D

Why would I start looking into insurance when there are lots of other ways to disincentivise old cars in countries like expensive annual inspections or expensive licences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I've found it very hard to get insurance for my main car over ten yrs old. Harder still over 15. Harder still over 20. The company I finally got a decent price with..when I changed from a 18yr old car on 3rd party with a value of 500 euros to a 3 yr old car on comp with a value of 12k my insurance actually went down! Makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

so you are using your ignorance as a defence ? For such a well travelled fellow I'm surprised !

Why do you think there was some many Japanese imports into Ireland in the past ?

Why would I start looking into insurance when there are lots of other ways to disincentivise old cars in countries like expensive annual inspections or expensive licences

I’m fairly certain the reason for Japanese exporting so many cars all over the world is because their equivalent of an NCT, called a Shaken, is near impossible to pass so cars get sold on much quicker over there, nothing to do with insurance.

User1998 wrote: »
    I’m fairly certain the reason for Japanese exporting so many cars all over the world is because their equivalent of an NCT, called a Shaken, is near impossible to pass so cars get sold on much quicker over there, nothing to do with insurance.

never said it was anything to do with insurance?

User1998 wrote: »

Yes and then they go on for mega-miles in their new Country's.... Aside for the NCT/ Shaken, issue, price wise, it was probably more economic to trade in and buy the newer model then "repair" the older one. These cars would be only a few years old maybe just 2 or 3 and would not have had high mileage on them. I seem to remember them with 40, 50 and 60'000 Klms. This was all to do with the Japanese economy, which was amonst the strongest in the world back then in terms of exports.

lalababa wrote: »
    I've found it very hard to get insurance for my main car over ten yrs old. Harder still over 15. Harder still over 20. The company I finally got a decent price with..when I changed from a 18yr old car on 3rd party with a value of 500 euros to a 3 yr old car on comp with a value of 12k my insurance actually went down! Makes no sense to me.

That's the system in this Country...change often, and spend. Keeps the Banks, PCP, HP happy, and the Government too...Vat.

No digging needed, just memory and real life experience from my job, and if that translates as ignorance to you, you have serious problems of comprehension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

So has anyone seen any discounts or expecting any this week, or do you think prices will go up from pent up demand?

macnug wrote: »
    So has anyone seen any discounts or expecting any this week, or do you think prices will go up from pent up demand?

Can't imagine much pent up demand.... 10/20% of PCP customers are on finance breaks.

Augeo wrote: »
    Can't imagine much pent up demand.... 10/20% of PCP customers are on finance breaks.

I would have thought higher tbh? Not to be derogatory but a lot of people on PCP in the first place are likely in lower paid, more precarious employment to start with. And can't really afford a new car!

road_high wrote: »
    I would have thought higher tbh? .........

It might be but info as of some weeks ago ....... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113467389&postcount=9689
    Augeo wrote:

3 weeks ago BMW & VAG said approx 20%.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...559%3fmode=amp

Approx 50,000 mortgages availing of the mortgage break iirc.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    That might be correct; AIB/BOI disclosed 9-12%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I would have thought higher tbh? Not to be derogatory but a lot of people on PCP in the first place are likely in lower paid, more precarious employment to start with. And can't really afford a new car!

I don't know where you're pulling that out of: I know plenty of people using PCP and they're on higher including 6-figure salaries. They see capital tied up in an asset like a car as a waste.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't know where you're pulling that out of: I know plenty of people using PCP and they're on higher including 6-figure salaries. They see capital tied up in an asset like a car as a waste.

He said a lot of people, not all.
    It makes sense that folk without thousands in the bank would find PCP great once they've income to afford the payments.
    No doubt loads of folk with PCP are well off but the median salary of a PCP customer wouldn't be much over €40k IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Augeo wrote: »
    He said a lot of people, not all.
    It makes sense that folk without thousands in the bank would find PCP great once they've income to afford the payments.
    No doubt loads of folk with PCP are well off but the median salary of a PCP customer wouldn't be much over €40k IMO.
    I understand what you are getting at but I think it is not accurate for a lot of pcp customers.
    Look at what is bought on PCP (apart from chape dacia yokes where you are correct), it's premium German marques with 500-750+ per month repayment. That's gonna be a fair chunk of change if you're only on 40k to begin with.

galwaytt wrote: »

It's no more than personal observations- know people in low paid employment in new cars using PCP. There's no way they'd be able to save enough or have the capital to get into a new car otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's no more than personal observations- know people in low paid employment in new cars using PCP. There's no way they'd be able to save enough or have the capital to get into a new car otherwise.

If you're not looking at a cheapo car like a dacia or something from korea, you'll need a 10-30% deposit to get a PCP deal.
    Even assuming you take the minimum of 10% (often unrealistic as it leaves the monthlies too high) it's still 5-8k to get together, not an easy ask if youre on 40k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't expect any immediate mad price drops or bargains from dealers or manufactures. They have literally only just reopened and will probably be watching how the trend develops over the next few weeks or months in order to see if consumer confidence comes through the doors.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I understand what you are getting at but I think it is not accurate for a lot of pcp customers.
    Look at what is bought on PCP (apart from chape dacia yokes where you are correct), it's premium German marques with 500-750+ per month repayment. That's gonna be a fair chunk of change if you're only on 40k to begin with.

The folk on 40k aren't buying premium German marques with 500-750+ per month repayment. Loads of 520d are on fleet plans etc also. Company cars for reps and folk on mileage deals. Plenty of stuff from Korea is VW money.

PCP was mentioned, not PCP on premium stuff.

That said 3 weeks ago BMW & VAG said approx 20% of their PCP customers were on payment breaks.

There are plenty of 20/30k cars on PCP.

Also you are zoning in on an actual 40k salary, I said median. 40k is not too bad a salary to be fair.

ELM327 wrote: »

Every make and model out there can be and is bought on PCP. PCP isn't just for BMWs.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect any immediate mad price drops or bargains from dealers or manufactures. They have literally only just reopened and will probably be watching how the trend develops over the next few weeks or months in order to see if consumer confidence comes through the doors.

I wouldn't think so either. May be small savings but not huge price slashing. Will be a big push on the 202 plates I'd think. Consumer confidence is the big elephnt in the room in the coming months of course.

We're booked out for a fortnight and that was just what we could sift through today. A lot of people are on a call back list for tomorrow. Usual lead time at this time of year would be 2-3 days. Lots of people looking for service work, not all breakdowns etc. Obviously there's a backlog but looks to be back with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

We're booked out for a fortnight and that was just what we could sift through today. A lot of people are on a call back list for tomorrow. Usual lead time at this time of year would be 2-3 days. Lots of people looking for service work, not all breakdowns etc. Obviously there's a backlog but looks to be back with a bang.

First positive post I've seen in a while around these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

If you book an appointment online on the VW service site does that guarantee you that slot. I got an email to say the dealer would be contact with me to confirm but heard nothing today I might give them a ring tomorrow.

No, it just takes a chance on the slot being available (genuinely), it isn't linked to the dealers workshop software. The dealer is obliged to meet it though so I'd say you'll be grand unless a hape of people have asked for the same time on the same day. If there is pressure for appointments afternoon slots are usually easier gotten, nobody wants them, anything after 2pm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No, it just takes a chance on the slot being available (genuinely), it isn't linked to the dealers workshop software. The dealer is obliged to meet it though so I'd say you'll be grand unless a hape of people have asked for the same time on the same day. If there is pressure for appointments afternoon slots are usually easier gotten, nobody wants them, anything after 2pm.

Why does nobody want afternoon slots?

mgn wrote: »
    First positive post I've seen in a while around these threads.

Down with that sort of thing!

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Why does nobody want afternoon slots?

I dont know, but I'm not being sarcastic when I say generally you couldn't fill them if you offered 25% off for taking them. I think people just want **** done in the mornings.

That and it's a particular issue with the likes of Keanes LV where CIP is trying to book into. If he books a 2pm slot, his car will be ready at 4pm and then generally your heading straight down onto a gridlocked M50 to get out of there which undoes any time saving that booking a specific slot offers.

I dont know, but I'm not being sarcastic when I say generally you couldn't fill them if you offered 25% off for taking them. I think people just want **** done in the mornings.

That and it's a particular issue with the likes of Keanes LV where CIP is trying to book into. If he books a 2pm slot, his car will be ready at 4pm and then generally your heading straight down onto a gridlocked M50 to get out of there which undoes any time saving that booking a specific slot offers.

I was thinking it was related to people having to take time off during the workday to drop the car off rather than doing it on the way to.work

My mechanic who's an indy to be fair will let us drop the car the evening before which is handy when I was office based

I’m delighted to hear it. Hopefully consumer confidence isn’t too dented and business will hold steady after the initial rush. Have businesses considered extending opening hours to cope? We are into long summer evenings and people have been off for over two months at this stage.

We said we'd come back this week just to get a suss on it with no real idea but definitely looking at extended opening hours and weekends. We cant have a full compliment of workshop staff and maintain social distancing so if demand stays strong we'll have to do something.

We said we'd come back this week just to get a suss on it with no real idea but definitely looking at extended opening hours and weekends. We cant have a full compliment of workshop staff and maintain social distancing so if demand stays strong we'll have to do something.

Shift work?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

macnug wrote: »
    I had a couple of cars in my watch list and I see prices have gone up by 1500-2000 on these cars. Dealer is Audi wexford main dealer and cars are BMW 420d and 520d. I have seen a price drop of €100 or so on some other cars but I don't see significant discounting at this point in time. If there's not much shifting in coming weeks then there would be good discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

They rang me this morning said they are booked out for all this week. So I got an appointment for next Wednesday morning. That’s not even a Dublin dealer it’s Carlow I wasn’t expecting them to be as busy. Once I get it done next week I’ll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Seat is offering 3 months payment break + 0% PCP + Upto €3000 voucher for 202 reg cars. Only Leon gets €3000 off and other cars get 1000 off. Not a great offer in my opinion because they had 0% PCP and voucher offer earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Obviously trying to shift remaining current Leon stock with the new model due very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Do the fandango

I think the manufacturers have already written off 202 sales. They’ll probably rehash the offers that were available in January and do some promotion to remain relevant - but I wouldn’t hold my breath for any jaw-dropping offers enticing people who are on the fence.

SummerK wrote: »
    I had a couple of cars in my watch list and I see prices have gone up by 1500-2000 on these cars. Dealer is Audi wexford main dealer and cars are BMW 420d and 520d. I have seen a price drop of €100 or so on some other cars but I don't see significant discounting at this point in time. If there's not much shifting in coming weeks then there would be good discounts.

Bizzare. Why would prices be going up? They are effectively three months older lying covered in dust in some lot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement