Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's an undesirable entry level spec Clio with the free flat white paint so the cheapest Clio you could probably buy new at the time. Could well have been a rental car at one point. The majority of them sold would have been the mid spec Dynamique with nicer metallic paint.

Ok, I actually like the white colour, so you think its priced for what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Add says they sell to other motor dealers so its likely a trade sale. You'll get no warranty or comeback with the car, think of it as a private sale. However if you have someone check over the car you might get a very good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are not prepared to stand over it with a warranty then I wouldn't bother. Might as well cut out the middle man dealer and his profit at that point and just buy privately.

There is also a 2019 Dynamique model with a bit higher mileage (not overly high) in metallic wine asking 11,700 on carsireland.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That would surely have 3 months manufacturer warranty left, if not more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

L-M wrote: »
    That would surely have 3 months manufacturer warranty left, if not more?

That's true, aren't they all 5 years since 2015?

• Advertisement

That's true, aren't they all 5 years since 2015?

I did they advertised the 5 years but it was actually a cost option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I had reason to travel through limerick today. Almost every garage was open and not just for service. I could see punters walking around the showrooms of at least two garages.
    Judging by the amount of people around generally, most people are making their own restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I'm looking to buy a car that's up in Dublin,
    I'm out west.

It's an Mx-5 private sale.

I'd have to drive up with my father and drive the car back.
    I'm seriously considering chancing it but at the same time I don't fancy a fine if I'm caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I'm considering buy a 2019 Renault Clio from a small trader. It's an Irish car. Just wondering should I do a Vehicle check on it and if so, which one would you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

Don’t use the Greenlight one on Donedeal, use Cartell or one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I had reason to travel through limerick today. Almost every garage was open and not just for service. I could see punters walking around the showrooms of at least two garages.
    Judging by the amount of people around generally, most people are making their own restrictions.

Test drove two different new vehicles last Friday & Saturday in Limerick, other than mask wearing it seemed like it was business as normal, just rambled in, had a look at a couple of models, asked to drive what I was interested in, no problems at all.

On one of the tests, stopped at Gardai checkpoint on way back to dealership, had a great chat with the two male guards about the vehicle, they were sound

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Forgive my stupidity here - showing my younger age-

What exactly are the advantages to you, the seller, when someone offers to buy your car in cash?

Apart from the benefit to them of not having to declare it through banks etc, what benefit is it to me? I've always bought or sold my cars via bank transfer, but I'm aware the older generation always like to deal in cash.

The person isn't getting a better deal, I've knocked a bit of discount off, but no more than I would if someone was looking it and paying via bank.

Thanks in advance, feel like a wally asking :pac: :o

Is it for security?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres absolutely no benefit of cash to a genuine private seller. It benefits a business who can pocket the cash and under declare how much the car sold for, and thus can offer a discount to the buyer (doesn’t just apply to cars, ‘cash price’ is a thing in many industries)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Thought the same, thanks. No difference to me whether it's cash or transfer as I'll be lodging it in the bank anyway.

If it’s a large amount just be prepared for Questions when you try lodge kt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Anyone know how long its taking to get log books in the post after change of ownership? Private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Glebee

timple23 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long its taking to get log books in the post after change of ownership? Private sale.

Recently done it, new log book within a week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toomefc

Bought a new second hand car 3 weeks ago. No sign of logbook back yet. I also checked motortax.ie & no update on change of vehicle ownership. I do know that the dealer I bought from is very reputable so not panicking just yet :eek: Are you waiting too?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Did you see the book when buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

My daughter is buying her first car from a car dealer. As far as I am aware the car is English Reg. She paid a deposit nearly 2 weeks ago and is waiting for him to get in touch, she rang at the beginning of this week and he says he was still waiting for paperwork. What is the normal waiting time for this? The car is 2020 and we thought it would be in around a week but it seems to be running on. Can anyone guide me on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

caustic 1 wrote: »
    My daughter is buying her first car from a car dealer. As far as I am aware the car is English Reg. She paid a deposit nearly 2 weeks ago and is waiting for him to get in touch, she rang at the beginning of this week and he says he was still waiting for paperwork. What is the normal waiting time for this? The car is 2020 and we thought it would be in around a week but it seems to be running on. Can anyone guide me on this?

The dealer would need to get an appointment for VRT inspection, looking in Dublin I could get one tomorrow, Saturday or any day next week in Northpoint, could be different around the country but backlog is nothing near what it was like towards the end of last year. You get the new registration details there and then once VRT payment is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are there serious delays in new cars coming in to the country? I've one ordered since last November and still no sigh of delivery. Granted, they had cars available but not the colour and spec I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭plhealy2000

Same situation here. Waiting on a Car ordered in November. Except car is now ready and they can't get it registered as there is no Stat Code on Revenue to pay the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a global shortage of components including electronic ECU chips that is impacting lots of industries including car manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

I bought a brand new car in August 2020 and never received a log book. Are they issuing them at the moment?
    I've received all the tax info about a week after and my car has been taxed since then but I am moving house now and need the log book to change address which I haven't gotten yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I bought a brand new car in August 2020 and never received a log book. Are they issuing them at the moment?
    I've received all the tax info about a week after and my car has been taxed since then but I am moving house now and need the log book to change address which I haven't gotten yet!

Bought a new car two weeks ago, had the VLC a week later

You should have received it after you taxed it. You could ring the tax office and say you never got it and see or just apply for a replacement which is €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

What type of delivery times are people seeing on BMWs, mine is pushed out another 3 weeks, apparently as preference being given to deliver cars to the UK for March plates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I bought a new car this week from dealer - they sent me a full video of the car I was interested in and all the information , we spoke on the phone and then they arranged to meet me for a test drive, when I arrived the car was ready and sanitized , the keys were in the car and the dealer stayed distanced and masked as did I...when finished I wiped the car down with the wipes they left and went home , we spoke on the phone to agree a price - went to the dealership to collect and car was valeted and sanitized , all the forms were laid / account info was laid out and ready to be signed , they collected them handed me the keys and we parted ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

moleyv wrote: »
    What type of delivery times are people seeing on BMWs, mine is pushed out another 3 weeks, apparently as preference being given to deliver cars to the UK for March plates

Mine is within a few days of the original target date - which I thought was optimistic.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement