Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Im certainly feeling a little unwanted on the forecourts ha ha. Theyll take it alright but silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Im on the other end of this debate. Im trying to sell my 12 passat. Ive dropped 1200e off my original asking price over the last few weeks. I dont see it selling unless i just accept stupid money which is not going to happen. Its at rock bottom now and I wont drop it another cent. Ive gone and spoke to a few dealers thinking id get a reasonable deal to come up 2-3 yrs but nope. Dealers are not budging for now anyway. Ill probably end up hanging onto it which im happy to do. People offering ridicilous money just piss me off and I add 500e onto my asking to get rid of them. Nobody like a smart ass lol

Not really the other end of the debate as it's the same thing happening, less people are gonna fork out to change car so your car value is also gonna decrease. If trading in, the cost to change may not decrease that much as they'll still have a car to shift in a contracting economy

Op talking about buying during the pandemic im talking about selling. Id call that the other end of the debate. But each to their own lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Whocare

Going by all accounts cars in UK auction are £2000 to4000 under what they should be ( that's from flipping car uk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Im on the other end of this debate. Im trying to sell my 12 passat. Ive dropped 1200e off my original asking price over the last few weeks. I dont see it selling unless i just accept stupid money which is not going to happen. Its at rock bottom now and I wont drop it another cent. Ive gone and spoke to a few dealers thinking id get a reasonable deal to come up 2-3 yrs but nope. Dealers are not budging for now anyway. Ill probably end up hanging onto it which im happy to do. People offering ridicilous money just piss me off and I add 500e onto my asking to get rid of them. Nobody like a smart ass lol

How much is it and what kind of milleage/condition/spec? Passat should be easy enough to sell, always people looking for them.

• Advertisement

Dealers don't want your car. It's early days in this thing, who knows what will happen. GLWS.

Even beofre this crisis, a 12 Passat probably wouldn't have been in huge demand as a trade in. But should sell relativley easy privately.

road_high wrote: »
    How much is it and what kind of milleage/condition/spec? Passat should be easy enough to sell, always people looking for them.
    2012 Comfortline Estate. 190k. Excellent condition. Down to 6350e from 7500e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

The country was full of people chasing the market down because they knew what their car was worth in the last recession.

Mileage has ya there. Brother sold a 13 Passat saloon 2 years ago for 9k I think privately. 2 calls was all he got about it.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Mileage has ya there. Brother sold a 13 Passat saloon 2 years ago for 9k I think privately. 2 calls was all he got about it.
    Do you think so? Thats only 116 miles approx over 8 yrs and it is a diesel. I suppose though in reality im competing against clocked cars of there are plenty. I came across enough of them when i was buying mine.

• Advertisement

Do you think so? Thats only 116 miles approx over 8 yrs and it is a diesel. I suppose though in reality im competing against clocked cars of there are plenty. I came across enough of them when i was buying mine.

Car is prob well able for it and maybe even better for it than a car with half the mileage but the 190k will put people off regardless unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Whocare wrote: »
    Going by all accounts cars in UK auction are £2000 to4000 under what they should be ( that's from flipping car uk

And he of course is completely unbiased

Estate also a minus point. Much more limited audience and the boy racer set would go for the saloon everytime.
    Lot of people that would need an estate are just getting SUV or Crossovers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Op talking about buying during the pandemic im talking about selling. Id call that the other end of the debate. But each to their own lol

Dealers will be under pressure to maintain some sort of cash flow and will prioritise cash/finance deals with insignificant trade ins. Your deal will release a little cash for him but he’ll still have a fair bit wrapped up in your trade in. If you approached him with a 15 year old clunker, he’d probably give you a fantatstic trade in offer to disguise the hit he’ll have to take to the pre-Corona value of the cars on the forecourt, especially relatively new secondhand ones. Brand new cars will hold value a little better because of the factory shutdowns and the continued availability of financing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm waiting for a "distressed asset" Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid!
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Feck off; that’s my plan but I only want a tan or chestnut interior.
    WacoKid wrote: »
    My plan too!

Can I ask what is the best way to buy Sterling now but hold onto it until the 'right time' to buy is. Does Revolut support exchanging EUR to GBP at current, or lower, rates and the monies can just be left in the Revolut GBP account?

..or is it better to open a trading account?

Ye can both feck off - that's my plan ye're talking about.

Which just goes to show: there are buyers (us) out there, but we're going to be cute hoors this time around.

Sure how do you think I got my 996 ? - I bought when everyone else was selling..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

WacoKid wrote: »
    Even with 60k+ miles this is a €45k car?

that's only 45% of what it was new, so of course...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I know of a 172 in Galway that might be on the market soon if this situation goes on for 8 weeks or more.
    Only bought about 18 months ago for just over €80k.

Keep me, not - not them :p - posted. It's on my wish list.

Ode To The Motorist

We have a 12 D Renualt - you need to remember this is only 2 years of being almost 'uninsurable', so no-one is going to pay you anything for it if they hit a brick wall with insurance in 2 years time.

Better off keep it until it's actually worth €0, or bite the bullet.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Where would one see value in buying?
    More interested in longevity, reliability, and warranty versus style and status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

galwaytt wrote: »
    We have a 12 D Renualt - you need to remember this is only 2 years of being almost 'uninsurable', so no-one is going to pay you anything for it if they hit a brick wall with insurance in 2 years time.

Better off keep it until it's actually worth €0, or bite the bullet.

I think your insurance company is telling you porkies. Recently had a 04 car and had no problems insuring. Now I have 2011 reg and I think even less that it is nearly 'uninsurable'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Let's face we are not going into lockdown for 2 weeks. This is going to be months if not longer.

In difficult times like this spending is cut back drastically. Nobody is going to buy a car when jobs are being cut and when their stocks / savings are being wiped out.

The demand for car loans will also collapse, as will those on PCP who can barely afford their monthly payments start to default which will affect subprime loans and other banking swap.

Most dealerships have large long term debt and nothing in cash.

Dealers inventory will be near impossible to move during these tough times.

With the demand for debt skyrocketing currently and with equity markets plummeting, it's hard to see how they will be able to refinance and this means there has to be a high chance of bankruptcy within the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Lots of cars sitting for months. And who would buy a car at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

natural levelling of the market ?
    a lot of cars are overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

s8n wrote: »
    natural levelling of the market ?
    a lot of cars are overpriced

Is this the time that online sales and the direct distribution model (a la Tesla) will come into its own?
    What is to stop the companies selling “direct” without the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Ready for the worst and hope for the best. Dealerships should try to engage themselves into relevant businesses. Need to spread hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Jizique wrote: »
    Is this the time that online sales and the direct distribution model (a la Tesla) will come into its own?
    What is to stop the companies selling “direct” without the network?

I'm car-less due simply to unfortunate timing, and I was pondering that same or similar question yesterday; how many dealers - particularly in the used car market - will be taking the opportunity to try this out when they get the inevitable call:

"I see car X on your listings on Carzone at price Y. I'd be willing to pay Z to purchase it unseen, providing you can deliver it direct to me, with a new service stamp in the book and a renewed NCT."

I think it's a niche that will rapidly emerge and could potentially stick afterwards when people get their heads around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

An eight year old Passat with 190k miles (over 300,000 km) was never worth €6350 even before Covid-19 happened, especially an Estate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i suppose it will be pointless to trade in a 5 year old skoda hatch for a 2 year old honda or audi or some such then ?

An eight year old Passat with 190k miles (over 300,000 km) was never worth €6350 even before Covid-19 happened, especially an Estate...
    190kilometres 117miles take your time to read my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'm car-less due simply to unfortunate timing, and I was pondering that same or similar question yesterday; how many dealers - particularly in the used car market - will be taking the opportunity to try this out when they get the inevitable call:

"I see car X on your listings on Carzone at price Y. I'd be willing to pay Z to purchase it unseen, providing you can deliver it direct to me, with a new service stamp in the book and a renewed NCT."

I think it's a niche that will rapidly emerge and could potentially stick afterwards when people get their heads around it.

It will, when a renewed NCT becomes possible.

Advertisement