Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

I got an email yesterday about Windsor doing online sales and contactless delivery. Finance can be arranged online they say but it also states that delivery can't commence until showrooms reopen and it says that they expect older people in particular to use the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mikecope

I tried to contact two car dealers that are selling cars on Donedeal (message and phone) but got no response.
    Is it because they can't trade at the moment or have I just been unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

They are all closed at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are closed I'd imagine

GM228 wrote: »
    They are all closed at the moment.
    They are closed I'd imagine

That makes sense. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭User1998

Plenty of dealers still open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

User1998 wrote: »
    Plenty of dealers still open

Which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭User1998

Wouldn’t name them but theres a few big dealers posting on Instagram that they are still open and offering delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mikecope wrote: »
    I tried to contact two car dealers that are selling cars on Donedeal (message and phone) but got no response.
    Is it because they can't trade at the moment or have I just been unlucky?

Is there any mobile number you could try texting/ or an email?

L-M wrote: »
    Is there any mobile number you could try texting/ or an email?
    I messaged both via Donedeal and I left a voicemail in one person's mobile phone voicemail box.
    If they are not open then that's not too bad because they're more than 60km away, so I couldn't visit anyway but at least now the cars can't be snapped up by someone local before the lockdown is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I know several dealers still open and posting on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I have a car on order - which was due this month but as the factories in germany have been closed for a few weeks i'm unlikely to see it any time soon - the dealer has an almost identical model in stock and are going to get me a quote for it - I obviously won't be paying sticker price for a 'compromise' spec .. the dealer is confident that i'd be able to get it in the next few weeks and arrangement can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I read this in the Irish Independent this morning, it may be useful to someone here.

Some car dealers have moved quickly to respond to what is being described as a 'surge' in the number of people browsing online for a new or used car during the lockdown.

I can report this week on how two high-profile motoring groups are dealing with strong online interest - some cars have been bought and paid for already.

As an anecdotal aside I can attest to the level of interest in cars from the number of people contacting our Independent Advice Desk.

The Joeduffy.ie digital dealership platform is "open for business" 24/7 across the group - including ZuCar, its used-car supermarket business - according to chief executive Gavin Hydes.

He outlined to 'Independent Motors' how the system is set up for anyone wanting to view, or buy, a new or used car.

You can also get a part-exchange valuation for your car via a special app.

And there's a live chat-line to handle questions.

There is a strong level of enquiry, I'm told.

They say that a number of new and used-car orders have already been placed - with deposits paid.

They are describing it as a fundamental shift in consumer buying behaviour as people are browsing and asking about future purchases, getting finance quotations and valuations etc.

In summary, customers can now take their online viewing a step further and receive a valuation if they are trading in a car, request a finance quotation, pay a deposit and eventually have their car moved to a Joe Duffy location near to them or delivered to home, a spokeswoman said.

The Windsor group says it too is making it possible for customers to buy cars online from home - and to arrange for contactless delivery.

Yes, everything you'd normally do, except from a distance.

Peter Nicholson, managing director at Windsor, says every car dealer is going to have to adapt to online selling and contactless delivery when sales activity resumes in the coming weeks and months.

He says people are spending a lot of time online during the lockdown and there is a 'surge' (there's that word again) in web traffic.

In light of the current conditions we have added a contactless delivery service for our online buyers for when the market reopens, he says.

https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/fundamental-change-in-way-we-buy-cars-as-dealers-react-39129198.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

whippet wrote: »
    201 / 202 makes no odds to me .. plate vanity doesn’t matter.

Why would I want to ‘get out’ of the deal? It’s not like the dealer is forcing me to buy it

The difference between what is on order and what is in stock is the interior and leather colour and I had ordered the premium sound package

Congrats on the new car.
    If spending that much you should wait for what you ordered rather than compromising.
    Happy driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I read this in the Irish Independent this morning, it may be useful to someone here.

Some car dealers have moved quickly to respond to what is being described as a 'surge' in the number of people browsing online for a new or used car during the lockdown.

I can report this week on how two high-profile motoring groups are dealing with strong online interest - some cars have been bought and paid for already.

As an anecdotal aside I can attest to the level of interest in cars from the number of people contacting our Independent Advice Desk.

The Joeduffy.ie digital dealership platform is "open for business" 24/7 across the group - including ZuCar, its used-car supermarket business - according to chief executive Gavin Hydes.

He outlined to 'Independent Motors' how the system is set up for anyone wanting to view, or buy, a new or used car.

You can also get a part-exchange valuation for your car via a special app.

And there's a live chat-line to handle questions.

There is a strong level of enquiry, I'm told.

They say that a number of new and used-car orders have already been placed - with deposits paid.

They are describing it as a fundamental shift in consumer buying behaviour as people are browsing and asking about future purchases, getting finance quotations and valuations etc.

In summary, customers can now take their online viewing a step further and receive a valuation if they are trading in a car, request a finance quotation, pay a deposit and eventually have their car moved to a Joe Duffy location near to them or delivered to home, a spokeswoman said.

The Windsor group says it too is making it possible for customers to buy cars online from home - and to arrange for contactless delivery.

Yes, everything you'd normally do, except from a distance.

Peter Nicholson, managing director at Windsor, says every car dealer is going to have to adapt to online selling and contactless delivery when sales activity resumes in the coming weeks and months.

He says people are spending a lot of time online during the lockdown and there is a 'surge' (there's that word again) in web traffic.

In light of the current conditions we have added a contactless delivery service for our online buyers for when the market reopens, he says.

https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/fundamental-change-in-way-we-buy-cars-as-dealers-react-39129198.html

Complete bollox...

Congrats on the new car.
    If spending that much you should wait for what you ordered rather than compromising.
    Happy driving.

The interior colour isn't that much of an issue - the sound upgrade .. i'll see what the dealer comes back with regarding pricing - if the saving is enough i'll consider it.

The reality is that i'd be waiting until at least October / November for the new one to be built - and that is being optimistic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I love the use of the term "contactless delivery", great way to get rid of that turd of a car with the bolloxed engine. Simply polish it up, take a video of it, get paid, put it on lorry and dump it outside the victims customers house!

With distance selling you can return without reason within 14 days of delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Cuir_Cosc_Orm

Del2005 wrote: »
    With distance selling you can return without reason within 14 days of delivery.

So I can theoretically order a car, get it delivered then on the 13th day return it for a full refund?

I always wanted a new Lexus to sit outside my house for 13 says!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

So I can theoretically order a car, get it delivered then on the 13th day return it for a full refund?

I always wanted a new Lexus to sit outside my house for 13 says!

Who are you?

Did a Car Dealership piss in your Cornflakes?

Who are you?

What are you implying and why?

• Advertisement

Who are you?

He uses a passport card for a driver's licence....

CoBo55 wrote: »
    He uses a passport card for a driver's licence....

What the heck???

What the heck???

https://www.boards.ie/

Who are you?

a real ray of sunshine alright.

Seems to have more than a chip on the shoulder !

I'd wait it out.

Unless you are currently driving a newish car??

fair enough ... but i'd prefer to have the car I want.

whippet wrote: »
    a real ray of sunshine alright.

Seems to have more than a chip on the shoulder !

Is that slur directed towards helpful me or L-M?

Is that slur directed towards helpful me or L-M?

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

This situation is a good example of why the current restrictions are unnecessary, buying a car can be easily done without breaking the rules of social distancing, business should continue where it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Would you not wait until 202 reg now or as it's looking now a 301?

301? I don't think he'll have to wait 10 years!:D

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    This situation is a good example of why the current restrictions are unnecessary, buying a car can be easily done without breaking the rules of social distancing, business should continue where it can.

One could also say that only those over 70 or immuno suppressed should be isolated and everything else operate as normal but practicing social distancing strictly.

It may sound harsh but the cure seems more destructive than the virus.

Advertisement