Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

scamalert wrote: »
    the way prices are still quite up from dealers would suggest many would be backed by companies they sell of to tidy them up, so wouldnt be surprised that with billions printed there wouldn't be some stimulus going their way.

as yes lots of stock sitting but seeing little to no price drops - must mean they are kept afloat no ?, as seems little to no panic overall as of yet anyway, but sales for second quarter will see massive tank, if not for overall year going forward.

Well we have some time to decide what to do.

I saw a decent spec 2017 Octavia Estate for sale in the UK, fully loaded, 27k miles on it and can have it in the country for €17.5k which isn't bad. As we are looking for an auto estate the market is fairly limited here but I'll keep looking in the meantime with the aim of buying by June.

Like I said I'd like to buy local, support local businesses so let's see what's out there and what happens in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Maybe it's been asked here, but what sort of discount could be expected on a 2019 or new 2020 hybrid in the 25k - 30K range? Something like a Toyota Corolla.

I've no idea how a car price is arrived at i.e. mark up/margin etc, that is applied, so if anyone suggests a % discount that might be possible, could you explain why you think % might be possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A lot of garages price very competitively from the off now so in some place you might get 0 off, some you might get 500 and some maybe more.

There’s no “percentage” discount. Just find the car you like, see how competitively priced it is against others and go from there.

The above is related to used.

If you’re going new it really pays to shop around, ring the garage, tell them the car you want and ask them what they would willing to offer discount wise as you’re not trading in.

If you really want the best bargain it pays to be serious about buying. As in find the car etc you want and when you’re ready to buy, shop. If you’re not ready to buy most salesmen will smell it and dismiss you as a time waster

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

My old, high mileage, oil using car is unlikely to pass NCT (due in April so I am glad of 4 month extension).

As car sellers, like many, have had a tough time with Covid-19, is there likely to be some bargains out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What end of the market are you doing in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Can spend up to 15k. No earlier than 2017, I hope. Have three kids between 14 and 9. Family car. Not MPV.

You won't get much of a 2017 family car for 15k.

You're realistically looking at a very good 2015 or maybe a slightly high mileage 2016.

2018 petrol 1-up-from-base-model Octavia asking €15k, good dealer, car is probably ex rental.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/octavia/fpa/202001216420426?journey=Search

2018 base model i30 €14k from main Nissan dealer
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/i30/fpa/201911254719984?journey=Search

2017 base model Kia Ceed diesel for €14k
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/ceed/fpa/202002157353565?journey=Search

I’d probably go back a year for a higher spec, but it’s def doable to get a cheaper newer car if you’re not bothered about the spec level. Base models are relatively well equipped these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Had my eye on getting a new Skoda Octavia this year/next year. New model was due to be on sale for June, but has been pushed back to September, with a reduced line up.

Had been look at this year before all this Covid stuff. So that, along with the delay of release to September, I may wait til next year.

Will now only be available in Ambition and Style trim, with 1.5L (150bhp) petrol or 2L Deisel (115 and 150 bhp variants).

I had figured it would be the 1.5 petrol I'd be aiming at, I would love a VRS model but they don't seem to be talking about it for here yet and I think the cost would go too high for me to justify at all. Also would have loved the hybrid but on the Superb that is a 15k price jump so I guess it will be the same.

Looking forward to it appearing ont he Skoda.ie website so that I can start spec'ing it up!

I hope they don’t price themselves out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I hope they don’t price themselves out of it.

looks like the prices are moving by a little over 1,000.

https://www.skoda.ie/news/news-detail/skoda-ireland-confirms-new-skoda-octavia-launch-to-be-rescheduled-to-september-at-the-earliest

that puts the Style 1.5 petrol, 150bhp (new model) at 30,900. Previous model for same engine was about 29,600.

Ambition would be 28,800 vs 27,700

Though i don't know the impact of new engine regs on the prices stated at the moment for the new model, so there could be a big jump in 2021. Don't know the particulars, but I know Skoda have pointed it out as something that could price the car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lucanite2020

Hi All

Any confirmation yet of car salesrooms being open on May 18th?

Per Independent there were "indications" etc

TIA
    L2020

No confirmation yet and not likely until Phase 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Had my eye on getting a new Skoda Octavia this year/next year. New model was due to be on sale for June, but has been pushed back to September, with a reduced line up.

Had been look at this year before all this Covid stuff. So that, along with the delay of release to September, I may wait til next year.

Will now only be available in Ambition and Style trim, with 1.5L (150bhp) petrol or 2L Deisel (115 and 150 bhp variants).

I had figured it would be the 1.5 petrol I'd be aiming at, I would love a VRS model but they don't seem to be talking about it for here yet and I think the cost would go too high for me to justify at all. Also would have loved the hybrid but on the Superb that is a 15k price jump so I guess it will be the same.

Looking forward to it appearing ont he Skoda.ie website so that I can start spec'ing it up!
    Thank god they're dropping that dog of a 3 cylinder 1 litre, horrible horrible engine. The 1.5 DSG is supposed to be a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

L-M wrote: »
    No confirmation yet and not likely until Phase 2

How come Kia Liffey Valley can reopen on Monday?

https://www.facebook.com/KiaLiffeyValley/posts/1652726374867640

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They all can. It was announced this evening.

.G. wrote: »
    They all can. It was announced this evening.

Are garages = dealerships? I thought it's about servicing, not showroom sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

xboxdad wrote: »
    Are garages = dealerships? I thought it's about servicing, not showroom sales.

Its sales and servicing now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/motor-dealers-to-reopen-for-sales-from-monday-1.4254552

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Thank god they're dropping that dog of a 3 cylinder 1 litre, horrible horrible engine. The 1.5 DSG is supposed to be a beauty.

That 1.0 is a bloody brilliant engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Ha ha, I think so to, better than black! There was a tan interior at Wilsons auctions few weeks ago, D152... bidding stopped at 26500, €30K with fees and he didn't sell! Don't know what it went for after....

Late reply think I saw that one - from memory though was it only alright as in nothing great - needed a good clean etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Im on the other end of this debate. Im trying to sell my 12 passat. Ive dropped 1200e off my original asking price over the last few weeks. I dont see it selling unless i just accept stupid money which is not going to happen. Its at rock bottom now and I wont drop it another cent. Ive gone and spoke to a few dealers thinking id get a reasonable deal to come up 2-3 yrs but nope. Dealers are not budging for now anyway. Ill probably end up hanging onto it which im happy to do. People offering ridicilous money just piss me off and I add 500e onto my asking to get rid of them. Nobody like a smart ass lol

Have you looked at exporting it - a hassle I know but may sell better up north or UK plus you'd get some money back on the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I really could not see anyone in NI or UK being interested in buying an 8 year old Irish reg Passat when there are thousands of cheaper ones for sale on their doorstep. Plus unless it was originally imported from the UK it would need to have the kph clocks changed to ones with mph before it could be put on UK plates.

I paid 500 EUR deposit on a new car on the 1st day of the lockdown and the condition we agreed on is to proceed when the show room reopens.

But.. The show room reopens on Monday and I still can't go farther than 5km..
    I'd need to go to the other side of the city (Dublin). M50 or through the city.
    Technically they could keep my deposit I guess as it's on me to get there.

What can I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I paid 500 EUR deposit on a new car on the 1st day of the lockdown and the condition we agreed on is to proceed when the show room reopens.

But.. The show room reopens on Monday and I still can't go farther than 5km..
    I'd need to go to the other side of the city (Dublin). M50 or through the city.
    Technically they could keep my deposit I guess as it's on me to get there.

What can I do now?

Did you ring them to see what they suggest?

I'm sure there are many in this predicament.

J.R. wrote: »
    Did you ring them to see what they suggest?

I'm sure there are many in this predicament.

Yes. They said they can't imagine the Gardai will stop me if I explain the situation. I don't know... I want the car, not the money.
    It's very confusing they open all these showrooms which are in most cases in some industrial estate. Who lives next to one anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Yes. They said they can't imagine the Gardai will stop me if I explain the situation. I don't know... I want the car, not the money.
    It's very confusing they open all these showrooms which are in most cases in some industrial estate. Who lives next to one anyways?

I'd imagine they could deliver it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

It’s of course a personal decision but if was me I would go and in the unlikely event you were stopped I’d imagine the guards would be sympathetic.

ustari wrote: »
    I'd imagine they could deliver it to you?

It didn't work very well when we tried getting it done via email/phone :)
    ...have to deal with this the old fashioned way. At least for arranging PCP / signing / etc...
    I'd imagine they could deliver the car to me then. Will definitely ask.

Ricey3509 wrote: »
    It’s of course a personal decision but if was me I would go and in the unlikely event you were stopped I’d imagine the guards would be sympathetic.

Yes, I'll have to try this. The rules are very much in contradiction with the actual reopenings in my head. I'm hoping the Gardai will see it the same way. I respected all the rules from day #1, so it'd be a shame if I got busted now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Q. If i bought a car that is out of NCT since Jan 2020, where do I stand, I cant get it NCTed until the centers are opened again so am I covered till they do or would I have to keep car off the road until I can get it tested?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement