Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about members of a household family....surely they don't need to keep 2 meters apart??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

that's bollocks,

a stroll on the beach, with appropriate distancing, and hygiene, is vastly more desirable than being locked inside for months at a time

A meal in a restaurant is also desirable than being locked inside but the reality is there is a global pandemic outside. What part of that do people find difficult to understand?

Because Italian and Spanish culture encourages physical contact when they meet. Kissing on the cheeks, hugs, etc. Many Spanish will ignore the risks believing that their traditions are more important. It's like the idiotic american politicians claiming that they'll continue shaking hands during the crisis. Some people have warped logic when it comes to what should be acceptable.

Yes warped logic that it’s ok to go for walks on the beach and eat in restaurants and that somehow we will be ok and are different to Spain and Italy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So I assume you favour a total lockdown? No-one out of the house at all?

I don't see how we are going against Gov and HSE advice.
    We are told to stay 6ft apart from other people. I would say to walk on the beach today we didn't come within 20ft of another person, before getting back into the car and going home.

Why do you think that we are different to other countries. They tried these soft measures in other countries and it didn’t work and then moved to a lock down. If people weren’t so selfish and just isolated themselves for 3 weeks this would pass but idiots keep going outside to restaurants, the beach and think “oh it’s fine I’m social distancing myself”

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

It’s fine to be out and about as long as you don’t come close to people for to long .

However the issue is that if everybody has that frame of mind it will be impossible to go out and then avoid people .

Myself and the missus are going to put the kids in the car now and drive out for miles until we come to an isolated area. Then we are going to get out of the car and bring the kids for a walk for an hour .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I just want to say I am so happy to see how seriously Irish people are taking this. I cannot convince friends in the UK that this is not just a bad cold, the BBC and the Guardian will have a lot to answer for when this is all over, what happened to balance? The government say ridiculous things, do nothing, move slowly, and they say "Well i am sure there is science behind it" and all the people trust them. It's so upsetting to watch. I have no emotional energy left over to worry about the UK the US and Italy because it's all going on specifically worrying about people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Haven't left the house except to walk the dogs for about a week now and i am taking the social distancing serious but realised I have a dentist appointment next Wednesday. Not sure if cancelling that is smart or an overreaction? What do people think? It's just a routine check-up.

Gonad wrote: »
    It’s fine to be out and about as long as you don’t come close to people for to long .

However the issue is that if everybody has that frame of mind it will be impossible to go out and then avoid people .

Myself and the missus are going to put the kids in the car now and drive out for miles until we come to an isolated area. Then we are going to get out of the car and bring the kids for a walk for an hour .

So you’ve decided to not take your own advice. If everybody took their kids out for a drive etc etc.

Haven't left the house except to walk the dogs for about a week now and i am taking the social distancing serious but realised I have a dentist appointment next Wednesday. Not sure if cancelling that is smart or an overreaction? What do people think? It's just a routine check-up.

Cancel ffs. You are going to have somebody putting their fingers in your mouth and their face right up against yours. Do you not see how stupid your question is?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Cancel ffs. You are going to have somebody putting their fingers in your mouth and their face right up against yours. Do you not see how stupid your question is?

There's no need to be so aggressive, the poster sounds very responsible and is only asking for advice.

I would cancel it since it isn't urgent.

• Advertisement

That was my gut instinct but i know the dentist wears ppe so i didn't want to lose him business for an overreaction. Just wanted to get a second opinion

Kerry25x wrote: »
    There's no need to be so aggressive, the poster sounds very responsible and is only asking for advice.

I would cancel it since it isn't urgent.

Thanks i will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The only country to rid themselves of this is China. But let's look at wuhan/Hubei. Comparative in population/size of even the largest EU country.

They did this with complete and absolute lockdown of their cities and citizens. The only activity on their streets for months were government disinfectant crews and the army policing the lockdown and providing food to residents. They essentially let it burn through the populace while they were locked down. If you lived you lived if you didn't you were cremated.

If they had not given warning of this lockdown we probably wouldn't be in this current pandemic, they alerted the citizens 12 hours before it came into effect and anyone who could leave, did.

Rightly or wrongly the above extreme measures are the only thing we know has stopped community spread of the virus. No other country are implementing the above measures, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If people weren’t so selfish and just isolated themselves for 3 weeks this would pass but idiots keep going outside to restaurants, the beach and think “oh it’s fine I’m social distancing myself”

a beach? and what's wrong with going to an open beach?? plenty of room to social distance.....a confined space like a restaurant/cafe i can understand.....but a beach or park ? don't see the problem we all need to get fresh air & exercise after all

Yeah, cancel, even if I had a toothache I'd be thinking about cancelling but with this just being a check-up I think it's definitely the best thing to do :)

If you are about to take any precaution and then wonder if it's an overreaction look at the videos from people in Italy who are begging us to take this seriously and lock down. With an "r0" of 2.2 (speed it spreads), small sacrifices now could ultimately save millions of lives, no exaggeration.

What makes me so sad is we didn't make tiny sacrifices a few weeks go to avoid having to make any small ones at all.

That was my gut instinct but i know the dentist wears ppe so i didn't want to lose him business for an overreaction. Just wanted to get a second opinion

ask your dentist if he does gift vouchers :)

growleaves wrote: »
    I'm not "scaremongering". You keep insisting that the majority of services of services will be resumed relatively quickly, but no one in authority - bar Boris Johnson - has made those kind of assurances.

Ok. Explain to me why they wouldn't?

The only country to rid themselves of this is China. But let's look at wuhan/Hubei. Comparative in population/size of even the largest EU country.

They did this with complete and absolute lockdown of their cities and citizens. The only activity on their streets for months were government disinfectant crews and the army policing the lockdown and providing food to residents. They essentially let it burn through the populace while they were locked down. If you lived you lived if you didn't you were cremated.

If they had not given warning of this lockdown we probably wouldn't be in this current pandemic, they alerted the citizens 12 hours before it came into effect and anyone who could leave, did.

Rightly or wrongly the above extreme measures are the only thing we know has stopped community spread of the virus. No other country are implementing the above measures, yet.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who says we should do more, it's definitely good to err on the side of caution, but I will say that S. Korea have done a fantastic job of controlling this and they are the ones we should be copying, and we seem to be copying them as far as possible. If a death cult hadn't intentionally infected themselves the S. Korea numbers would be really low now. I'm saying this because I hope it makes you feel a bit less scared, because you seem sufficiently scared, not because I disagree with you. The more we do the better, definitely.

Yes warped logic that it’s ok to go for walks on the beach and eat in restaurants and that somehow we will be ok and are different to Spain and Italy.

The walks on the beach would be fine. It depends on the distance between your group and others. If people maintain a reasonable distance from each other (say a metre), there shouldn't be any problems with walking on a beach. Or a park. Or anywhere outside. The problem is when people come closer due to the need to pass by each other..

Best call in. Most dentists have closed up.

I broke a tooth yesterday. Couldn't find any dentists open. Makes sense though. Can't imagine anyone wanting to get that close to someones mouth or deal with all that saliva which could be infected...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I said that to a friend the other day, I saw this point mentioned a few points back. the kissing on the cheek and closer greeting contact you would have in italy etc...

you'd wonder can they just move the classes online for the english language schools which is a huge industry here. That way teachers get paid and students get their classes...

• Advertisement

You took Wuhan as your example which is an extreme. Why not take Xi'an (9 million people), or Chongqing (30 million)? Self-quarantine with residential security checking your reasons for breaking quarantine. A week or two later, social distancing essentially came into force. Bars are open. Shopping malls are open. However, numbers allowed in are managed, and distance between people is maintained (and monitored). Most people I know there are back to work. The schools/universities are still closed but that's logical since they use dormitories for students to live in.

Xi'an hasn't exploded with infected numbers. They've done something similar to Ireland and it's worked. Same with most other Chinese cities. An initial full self-quarantine, and then distancing.

You took Wuhan as your example which is an extreme. Why not take Xi'an (9 million people), or Chongqing (30 million)? Self-quarantine with residential security checking your reasons for breaking quarantine. A week or two later, social distancing essentially came into force. Bars are open. Shopping malls are open. However, numbers allowed in are managed, and distance between people is maintained (and monitored). Most people I know there are back to work. The schools/universities are still closed but that's logical since they use dormitories for students to live in.

Xi'an hasn't exploded with infected numbers. They've done something similar to Ireland and it's worked. Same with most other Chinese cities. An initial full self-quarantine, and then distancing.

I mentioned wuhan/Hubei province as the lockdown was the entirety of Hubei province. Almost 60 million people.

Why are you claiming Ireland are implementing anything close to cities in Hubei? That's absolutely false. You couldn't leave your house in those cities.

I mentioned wuhan/Hubei province as the lockdown was the entirety of Hubei province. Almost 60 million people.

Why are you claiming Ireland are implementing anything close to cities in Hubei? That's absolutely false. You couldn't leave your house in those cities.

Reread what I posted. Here's a hint. Look for where I talk about Xi'an or Chongqing.

Reread what I posted. Here's a hint. Look for where I talk about Xi'an or Chongqing.

I assumed they were in Hubei because otherwise your response made even less sense. They're not in Hubei so what's your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

They did this with complete and absolute lockdown of their cities and citizens. The only activity on their streets for months

Not quite. Still many weeks though (And a lot more than 2 weeks)

I assumed they were in Hubei because otherwise your response made even less sense. They're not in Hubei so what's your point exactly?

That the virus is in far more than just Hubei. Other cities had infections, and dealt with the danger in a similar manner to Ireland. They've been dealing with the virus longer than Ireland too... and without any explosion in infected.

The point being that your assertion that the only method to work is hardline crackdown in the form of quarantines is flawed. Many other cities in China with populations larger than Ireland have managed to control or limit the spread of infections... but using essentially social distancing, with some degree of enforcement/monitoring to ensure it's adhered to.

That the virus is in far more than just Hubei. Other cities had infections, and dealt with the danger in a similar manner to Ireland. They've been dealing with the virus longer than Ireland too... and without any explosion in infected.

The point being that your assertion that the only method to work is hardline crackdown in the form of quarantines is flawed. Many other cities in China with populations larger than Ireland have managed to control or limit the spread of infections... but using essentially social distancing, with some degree of enforcement/monitoring to ensure it's adhered to.

Ireland and China are hard to compare in any sort of completeness but let's try and fit your view above into Ireland.

It would equate to locking down leinster munster ulster and parts of connaught in their entirety eg Hubei.

The spots left in connaught not under complete and absolute lockdown could then do what Ireland is currently doing.

Ireland and China are hard to compare in any sort of completeness but let's try and fit your view above into Ireland.

It would equate to locking down leinster munster ulster and parts of connaught in their entirety eg Hubei.

The spots left in connaught not under complete and absolute lockdown could then do what Ireland is currently doing.

You seem to be rather confused as to what we're discussing.

You made the case that the only successful way of dealing with the virus was the manner in which Hubei was locked down. The hardcore quarantine of Wuhan and severe restrictions on the people within.

Whereas, I asked why you picked an extreme example when comparing with Ireland's distancing policy. Comparing Wuhan to Italy or Spain, due to the spread of the virus regarding infections makes some sense... Not completely, but some. Comparing Ireland to other cities in China, such as Xi'an or Chongqing which both have larger populations, but with a similar rate of infection to Ireland... both of which have engaged in social distancing rather than the methods used in Wuhan.

I get the feeling that you need to take a step back to reread your original post, and then my response..

Just watching the racing from Thurles. Social distancing? What social distancing? Why is this allowed continue?

• Advertisement

The walks on the beach would be fine. It depends on the distance between your group and others. If people maintain a reasonable distance from each other (say a metre), there shouldn't be any problems with walking on a beach. Or a park. Or anywhere outside. The problem is when people come closer due to the need to pass by each other..

The problem is people with that type of mentality. “Oh a walk on the beach is fine, “a walk in the park will be grand” “I won’t cancel my trip to the dentist because I don’t want them to lose business”
    It’s the same type of attitude of people who say they don’t vote because their vote won’t make a difference. If everybody had that attitude then nobody would vote. This requires a communal effort from everybody over the next 3 weeks. I cannot get over the sheer ignorance of some people.

Most of the contractions are communal from people mixing in the general population. If everybody has the same attitude and continues to go for their walk they are perpetuating the virus. You can get the virus from touching a handle, a door, a buzzer or any surface. Just because you keep your distance from someone doesn’t make you immune. If you are outside you are exposing yourself and others.

Advertisement