Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'm genuinely shocked by the amount of people taking this too seriously. It has a low mortality rate. Why would i care if i got it? And no, i dont have any elderly relatives living near me as well

I think you actually need to have some more elderly supervision, considering your thread about taking 2-3 packs of Nurofen Plus on a plane so that you could get to sleep.

I'm genuinely shocked by the amount of people taking this too seriously. It has a low mortality rate. Why would i care if i got it? And no, i dont have any elderly relatives living near me as well

Because even without taking into consideration the amounts dying, there have been many cases of damage done to the lungs after the virus leaves the body. So, while people may not die, having the virus can weaken both their lungs and their immune system for further infections.

You have to consider that this virus isn't the only threat. The threat is also about what comes after. If you survive the virus, your immune system will be weakened/compromised, opening you up to risks from other diseases such as the common flu.

Anyway.. you could get the virus multiple times. While you might be fine with shrugging off the effects once, consider what would happen if you were infected more than once. There's little evidence to suggest any degree of immunity being given when the virus passes through your system. After all, this virus is going to be around for a year or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I know you've already gotten a lot of feedback on this, but without hospitals 6% of people who get this die. Only 2% of infected died of Spanish flu and it killed between 50 and 100 million people.

With our hospitals running normally we can keep the death rate to around Korea's, 0.6%, but our hospitals will fill up faster than Korea's because they are underfunded to begin with, and this thing spreads so incredibly quickly that most people in the country will get it around the same time if we don't take it incredibly seriously. Also, it's a myth that it doesn't kill young people without underlying health conditions. The doctor who first leaked this to the press died of it. Another doctor in China, who postponed his wedding to fight the virus, also died of it. They were both in their 30s and had no underlying conditions. There are lots more examples but those were the first two I heard of and I ignored the Cassandra's telling me about it until I saw the video from the man in Italy whose sister, only 47, died in his house and the situation was so bad already that Italy wasn't even collecting bodies. They are now burying someone every 30 minutes in cemeteries there to try to keep up with demands but they think they might need mass graves soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yet, we still have racing every day here. Even behind closed doors there’s no way of adhering to social distancing.

The scum behind the decision to let that go ahead would want to be horse whipped themselves.

The horse racing industry gets something like 70 million a year of taxpayers money and then in the time of the greatest modern crisis to hit the world they decide to ignore all expert advice and carry on so they can take advantage of people with gambling issues who will gamble online.

When the crisis is managed there would want to be retribution taken against these people for their despicable carry on that's putting lives at risk.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you don't care then don't post in this thread again, and in the words of Gordon Sumner:

Don't Stand so Close to Me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Today I have lost all hope that we can avoid a massive increase in cases overwhelming the hospitals. The park here is mobbed. All the kids out playing together on the green. Social distancing out the window as soon as the sun comes out. Photos of local coffee shop crammed with people. So disappointing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Today I have lost all hope that we can avoid a massive increase in cases overwhelming the hospitals. The park here is mobbed. All the kids out playing together on the green. Social distancing out the window as soon as the sun comes out. Photos of local coffee shop crammed with people. So disappointing.
    I've been seeing same. The number of people in this country who are window licking fucking morons truly beggars belief. There are people I've been talking with over the last week or so where I wanted to be able to go down the phoneline and punch them in the face(with a gloved hand). "Ah sure what's the harm if my kids have a playdate/we have a nice meal out/hang out in the park with other families". A couple are still saying "sure it's just a flu/it's all hype". 24 carat morons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've been seeing same. The number of people in this country who are window licking fucking morons truly beggars belief. There are people I've been talking with over the last week or so where I wanted to be able to go down the phoneline and punch them in the face(with a gloved hand). "Ah sure what's the harm if my kids have a playdate/we have a nice meal out/hang out in the park with other families". A couple are still saying "sure it's just a flu/it's all hype". 24 carat morons.

One good thing about this crisis is that it's made a lot of people show their true colours.

Work colleagues and people I considered friends bemoaning the closure of pubs and gyms, complaining about the 'OTT' reaction and asking what the big deal is. Some of them taking advantage of cheap prices to book holidays and flights for 3-4 weeks from now, as if they think everything will be fine by then.

Just utter morons. Imagine being so thick, sheltered and ignorant that you think this is all a bit of hype that will blow over next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Photos on Facebook showing crowds at beaches, woods etc
    Gardai gone to the village of Ardmore to stop people, it's crazy are people just stupid, irresponsible

The scum behind the decision to let that go ahead would want to be horse whipped themselves.

The horse racing industry gets something like 70 million a year of taxpayers money and then in the time of the greatest modern crisis to hit the world they decide to ignore all expert advice and carry on so they can take advantage of people with gambling issues who will gamble online.

When the crisis is managed there would want to be retribution taken against these people for their despicable carry on that's putting lives at risk.

My point was in relation to social distancing. Not the rights or wrongs of racing, which is financed by a levy on gambling, not the general tax intake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The powers that be need to lock this country down now, as soon as possible, not in a week or fortnight's time. Tomorrow. Just do it, because relying on the public is not working, not with so many that are so bloody dangerously stupid. Italy delayed and look at them now. Spain delayed and look at them now. Britain doesn't seem to know what the hell it's doing and they're exactly a fortnight behind the current numbers in Italy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The powers that be need to lock this country down now, as soon as possible, not in a week or fortnight's time. Tomorrow. Just do it, because relying on the public is not working, not with so many that are so bloody dangerously stupid. Italy delayed and look at them now. Spain delayed and look at them now. Britain doesn't seem to know what the hell it's doing and they're exactly a fortnight behind the current numbers in Italy.

It's hard to believe what I am reading to be honest, I can't understand how people can be so ignorant.

As for the powers that be, Holy God help us, what the actual fcuk are they thinking?

We still have flights of people arriving into our country daily from England and hundreds more flights due to arrive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Some of them taking advantage of cheap prices to book holidays and flights for 3-4 weeks from now, as if they think everything will be fine by then.

Combining being selfish (thinking only apply to others) and looking for trouble for yourself (no doubt a foreign holiday in 3 weeks time will be cancelled) ... impressive achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Never seen fanore beach as busy as it was today and the roads in the caher valley thronged with people walking, i dont think the message is getting through to a LOT of people

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

And there in one post is the problem.....it's not about you, it's not about mortality rates, it's about your country and society. Do you have a job, do you know how secure that job is if the whole system collapses? And while the system is collapsing how long to get back to normality.

Have you any friends? imagine one of them gets hit by a car in the morning and rushed to hospital where they need to put them on a ventilator, oh hang on all the ventilators are being used for other ICU patients affected by corona virus, oh balls, we need to choose who to save.. and there's a heart attack we couldn't save, and a kidney operation that was needed and so on and so on.

Stop being so self centred and narcissistic, this is about what you can do for your fellow man, not what your fellow man can do for you....stop being a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

It's infuriating. Selfish, stupid people. They deserve what they get. (Kids excluded, the parents responsibility there)
    Problem is they will spread it to the people trying their best to beat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

All for social distancing, but dont stand in the middle of the road chatting to people to maintain it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Today "It's just a flu, and all hype"
    Two weeks time "You let my father die, you HSE b#stards"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They will have to lock down the country.

But I also think people need to see that a lockdown will only work for so long before people just give up on that too.

The people still congregating now aren't ignorant. Every Tesco and Dunnes Stores, every news outlet, every social media platform is absolutely saturated in info about the Covid virus. Its literally impossible not to know about it, and even the most ignorant person will know that the actions being taken (schools shutting, shops closing, etc) are because something serious is happening.

It's not that people don't understand.

They just don't care, sadly.

So, sure, lock everyone down. But also realise that within two weeks, there will be a LOT of people who will collectively shrug and walk out of their homes. A lockdown will only work for a very small window of time, until people realize if everyone ignores it, they can keep going as they are now.

And I say that as someone in an at-risk family, who has been massively avoiding going out over the last two weeks. I'm not advocating it, I'm not defending it. I'm saying we need to be prepared for it. People will ignore the lockdown en masse if it lasts too long.

And don't forget how useless our gardai are, if there is a lockdown. They'll take part in the lockdown themselves! And sit in the station with a bulk order of Krispy Kreme donuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ally Dick wrote: »
    And don't forget how useless our gardai are, if there is a lockdown. They'll take part in the lockdown themselves! And sit in the station with a bulk order of Krispy Kreme donuts.

I disagree. The majority of guards will do what is required in this time of crisis. Like the majority of HSE staff, retail staff, truck drivers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Never seen fanore beach as busy as it was today and the roads in the caher valley thronged with people walking, i dont think the message is getting through to a LOT of people

That's the thing though. What message? It's all unclear, people are not being told to not go for drives and walks etc.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I disagree. The majority of guards will do what is required in this time of crisis. Like the majority of HSE staff, retail staff, truck drivers etc...

I don't trust them. Burglary is rampant, and that's a lot to do with their ineffectiveness. They're public servants. Too fond of whinging. All they want is to get to the magical 30 years service, and retire on a massively over-inflated pension, built up from dishonest overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That's the thing though. What message? It's all unclear, people are not being told to not go for drives and walks etc.

The message couldn’t be clearer. Stay 2m apart and wash your hands

It’s that simple

It’s the 2 metres apart but that most seem to be having trouble with

Stay 2 meters apart is pretty clear, you cant stay 2 meters apart if the place is packed, it's not that complicated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

If your a family of 5 go for drives and walks. But stay in your family unit. Don’t all head in 5 different directions as soon as the car doors open. And stay well away from other people.

It ain’t rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stay 2 meters apart is pretty clear, you cant stay 2 meters apart if the place is packed, it's not that complicated

Yeah but that can't be applied at packed waterfronts and parks etc. They need more restrictions.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I don't trust them. Burglary is rampant, and that's a lot to do with their ineffectiveness. They're public servants. Too fond of whinging. All they want is to get to the magical 30 years service, and retire on a massively over-inflated pension, built up from dishonest overtime

What have you against the cops, usually its people who are scumbags or just can't grasp that if you break the law or act the cnut you'll get familiar with the guards, I'm no fan of them but i was brought up to know there is a line you don't cross and you'll never need to have any dealings with them, the vast majority of them are out earning their pay and trying to get by like the rest of us, they have an unenviable job in the forthcoming weeks if things go tits up, grow up a small bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

From your drone?

• Advertisement

Yeah but that can't be applied at packed waterfronts and parks etc. They need more restrictions.

So it's the governments fault and there's no need for anyone to take personal responsibility

Advertisement