Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It seems like a lot of these eejits will not take it seriously until a friend or family member or neighbour dies from cv19.
    It will unfortunately take something like that to hammer it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

And the meek shall inherit the earth.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I find myself agreeing with commentary from Paddy Cosgrove and Ewan McKenna. These truly are extraordinary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Neighbours kids running in and out of each others houses.....tried talking to our kids out the back, just went out and brought in our kids....not wasting my time trying to educate their kids.....bloody idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I passed a group of 10 people sitting beside each other having a picnic. Not surprisingly when it comes to this country

if they were from the same immediate family i.e. the one household i don't see the problem ...if people from another household were mixing well then that could be deemed as iffy

• Advertisement

Genie1986 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so my wife is pregnant with twins(18weeks). She is self employed and has stopped working as her work resolves around the beauty sector. My work is in construction(carpenter). I am employed and work is busy. My wife is freaking out that I could come home with the virus which is understandable. I work remotely in construction sites or in Mrs. Murphys/Joe bloggs doing flooring and wardrobes. We took last week off as a precaution to see what was happening with the virus. I have reassured her that I will take the necessary precautions such as mask, gloves etc etc but still no good... also i have told Mrs. Murphy/Joe bloggs that if we are to do work in their house that they must vacate the house from me so there is no contact. I'm in a rock and hard place...I don't want to come back to our home with the virus putting my pregnant wife at risk but i have to work as i need the funds for the twins that are on the way. I have also read articles that the covid 19 has no effect on pregnancy but still that's no consolation in this occasion.
    Thoughts and advice would be appreciated?
    First time posting a tread...long time reader!!
    Thanks guys

Your best bet is to speak to your wife’s medical team. It’s a hard one and any opinion we would offer is just ours, in my case from a non pregnant 60something. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Juwwi wrote: »
    Fire brigade need to start doing drive bys hosing these morons , that will sort out big gatherings and send them home .

Or better still....

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Spotted 4 teenagers earlier walking shoulder to shoulder across a narrow path in to town earlier.
    Social distancing only works if we all do it. We need to slow the tide of infections to give health workers a chance to save us and themselves and not force them to make difficult and tragic choices when ventilators run short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I went for a drive in the slieve blooms today I didn't/couldn't get out I've never seen so many people parked up at the cut in my whole life apparently the county council and guards were sent in to lock the place down

Genie1986 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so my wife is pregnant with twins(18weeks). She is self employed and has stopped working as her work resolves around the beauty sector. My work is in construction(carpenter). I am employed and work is busy. My wife is freaking out that I could come home with the virus which is understandable. I work remotely in construction sites or in Mrs. Murphys/Joe bloggs doing flooring and wardrobes. We took last week off as a precaution to see what was happening with the virus. I have reassured her that I will take the necessary precautions such as mask, gloves etc etc but still no good... also i have told Mrs. Murphy/Joe bloggs that if we are to do work in their house that they must vacate the house from me so there is no contact. I'm in a rock and hard place...I don't want to come back to our home with the virus putting my pregnant wife at risk but i have to work as i need the funds for the twins that are on the way. I have also read articles that the covid 19 has no effect on pregnancy but still that's no consolation in this occasion.
    Thoughts and advice would be appreciated?
    First time posting a tread...long time reader!!
    Thanks guys

In a similar boat, the wife is 8 weeks pregnant.
    Luckily we’re both working from home.
    But I have to go to the shops every few days and she needs fresh air and short walk.

It should be an exciting time but it’s really hard to feel that way with everything that’s happening.

Just have to hope she doesn’t get it and it doesn’t impact the baby if she does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Article in the Irish Times online about people out and about on beaches, Howth Pier etc. today.

One woman was out drinking with 5 friends because she was finding it all so claustrophobic and depressing. Yeah the rest of us are just loving it.

What is wrong with eejits like this. The sooner they start fining these selfish pieces of work the better. They should be bloody ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

A lockdown will only work if it comes with heavy fines for those who don't comply. Otherwise the people who've been behaving like eejits all week will continue to behave like eejits "oh well my mental health, and my kids need fresh air, and it gets so depressing being stuck inside, and wellness is so important......"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

It's a strange world where your closest friend, mother, father, son, daughter, neighbor, butcher, postman could kill you without even knowing it. Keep your distance folks, it WILL save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I guess this is why every country has to go for a full lockdown eventually........we don't understand how to do it voluntarily ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Article in the Irish Times online about people out and about on beaches, Howth Pier etc. today.

One woman was out drinking with 5 friends because she was finding it all so claustrophobic and depressing. Yeah the rest of us are just loving it.

What is wrong with eejits like this. The sooner they start fining these selfish pieces of work the better. They should be bloody ashamed of themselves.

In fairness, some people do have serious mental health issues and are at a very real risk of suicide right now.

I suffer from depression and anxiety as well as OCD and am at my lowest ebb in a very long time. I can't go to therapy, I can't see friends, I can't go to the gym, I can't go for a run, I can't do any of the things I'd normally do to treat my mental health issues, and I'm also stuck in London far away from any support network or family. Thousands of others like me are in the same boat.

I understand that the wider society is more important than us individuals but be aware that this social isolation is going to result in suicides. That's just a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭bilbot79

People haven't been advised to not go outside for walks so it's inevitable. We should go into full lockdown.

I think the message is getting confused because half of facebook is saying #staythef***home while the government are saying ' go for a walk but keep 2m apart'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

In fairness, some people do have serious mental health issues and are at a very real risk of suicide right now.

I suffer from depression and anxiety as well as OCD and am at my lowest ebb in a very long time. I can't go to therapy, I can't see friends, I can't go to the gym, I can't go for a run, I can't do any of the things I'd normally do to treat my mental health issues, and I'm also stuck in London far away from any support network or family. Thousands of others like me are in the same boat.

I understand that the wider society is more important than us individuals but be aware that this social isolation is going to result in suicides. That's just a fact.

The above is true, BUT that is a rather small percentage of the population.

Most of the crowds we have seen today are just selfish/stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bilbot79 wrote: »
    People haven't been advised to not go outside for walks so it's inevitable. We should go into full lockdown.

I think the message is getting confused because half of facebook is saying #staythef***home while the government are saying ' go for a walk but keep 2m apart'

Agree. The government should send a clear and firm message that staying at home is the rule and that the only exceptions are for grocery shopping, health appointments, etc.

No mixed-up messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

bilbot79 wrote: »

How is it confusing, people on facebook have only opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

There will be no locked-down, unless the hospitals get overwhelmed with patient from the chi-na disease.

I'm getting queer looks from people by stepping closer to them every time they look away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Go for a walk

Don't drive to a place where people want to go for walks
    There's a huge difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Bob24 wrote: »
    Agree. The government should send a clear and firm message that staying at home is the rule and that the only exceptions are for grocery shopping, health appointments, etc.

No mixed-up messages.

Maybe just being independent and staying the distance is ok.

I'll be dammed if by living rurally I cant hop over my wall and walk around the Burren where in my location you'd have the company of wild goats and hairy cattle, unfortunately some people can't understand social distacing.

Id say if there was a lockdown it would apply to urban areas like Fox rock and sh1t holes like Dalky or Dublin 4 rather than some person out in the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm due to start a new job in the morning, a large pharma group. I'm dreading going in, been staying away from everyone for nearly two weeks and I really don't fancy working closely with anyone tomorrow, I've no idea how things are in these places with the current situation, is it work as usual?

I'm in Athlone. I think it would be useful to get some idea of how people are behaving in your own neck of the woods.

I go for a walk regularly. I go out at 6 am doing a loop of the town, and in the last 7 mornings, I have not met one other person. Grand.

I also walk later during the day doing a similar loop but it intersects with an official walking area. That area is thronged. People are keeping their distance for the most part, but they're passing too close to each other. I avoid such places, although I do find when I meet someone on a footpath, there's a degree of caution being done. For the most part, people are turning their faces away, and passing with some distance between us. Usually the males will walk on the roadway, and the women will pass on the footpaths.

I haven't gone into any cafes, or areas which are busy, except for the supermarkets. I have a standard "fashion" now. Hoody. scarf around neck, reaching above the mouth. Plastic gloves. Each item is removed before I enter the house, and washed in hot water. I also will wash my hands, neck and face. I'll then, undress in a side room, change my clothes and put the rest in for washing. Different bags for each person in the house. Each washes their own clothes while wearing gloves, again, washing hands afterwards. All items bought in a shop are also washed down. We've made sure that there is a cleaning room, which is separate from the rest of the house. Only one door is used for entry into the house, keeping the risks lower (not the main door). Door Handles are washed twice every day.

I had three face masks but I've given them to my parents to use, and one to my sister as she lives far apart from us. I'm taller than most people so most coughing or sneezing will end up on my clothes rather than my face.

The point is that you can social distance and take reasonable precautions. Alas, I've seen a variety of people taking the piss. It seems more common though that people are taking it somewhat seriously in Athlone, keeping their distance.

The problem is the small things like passing someone on a narrow footpath, or entering a supermarket. Many people aren't taking the precautions of covering their hands or face. I also suspect many people would find my habit of washing everything extreme. However, my parents are in their mid-70s and I already know three people in China who are dead from this virus. I'm not interested in slipping up.

Previously I was against the harder measures like lockdowns, but I can't really see Irish people putting themselves into any real degree of inconvenience over this. And that's the real problem. I suspect Ireland is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of death.. simply because people are unable to take responsibility for their own lives... and after all this, they won't have learned anything because they'll simply blame the government or everyone else.

Makes me a little sad just how ignorant and self-absorbed many people have become. This could have been a moment for Irish people to shine by showing the world that they could manage themselves without the need for harsh methods. That chance is pretty much gone now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

I'm in Athlone. I think it would be useful to get some idea of how people are behaving in your own neck of the woods.

I go for a walk regularly. I go out at 6 am doing a loop of the town, and in the last 7 mornings, I have not met one other person. Grand.

I also walk later during the day doing a similar loop but it intersects with an official walking area. That area is thronged. People are keeping their distance for the most part, but they're passing too close to each other. I avoid such places, although I do find when I meet someone on a footpath, there's a degree of caution being done. For the most part, people are turning their faces away, and passing with some distance between us. Usually the males will walk on the roadway, and the women will pass on the footpaths.

I haven't gone into any cafes, or areas which are busy, except for the supermarkets. I have a standard "fashion" now. Hoody. scarf around neck, reaching above the mouth. Plastic gloves. Each item is removed before I enter the house, and washed in hot water. I also will wash my hands, neck and face. I'll then, undress in a side room, change my clothes and put the rest in for washing. Different bags for each person in the house. Each washes their own clothes while wearing gloves, again, washing hands afterwards. All items bought in a shop are also washed down. We've made sure that there is a cleaning room, which is separate from the rest of the house. Only one door is used for entry into the house, keeping the risks lower (not the main door). Door Handles are washed twice every day.

I had three face masks but I've given them to my parents to use, and one to my sister as she lives far apart from us. I'm taller than most people so most coughing or sneezing will end up on my clothes rather than my face.

The point is that you can social distance and take reasonable precautions. Alas, I've seen a variety of people taking the piss. It seems more common though that people are taking it somewhat seriously in Athlone, keeping their distance.

The problem is the small things like passing someone on a narrow footpath, or entering a supermarket. Many people aren't taking the precautions of covering their hands or face. I also suspect many people would find my habit of washing everything extreme. However, my parents are in their mid-70s and I already know three people in China who are dead from this virus. I'm not interested in slipping up.

Previously I was against the harder measures like lockdowns, but I can't really see Irish people putting themselves into any real degree of inconvenience over this. And that's the real problem. I suspect Ireland is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of death.. simply because people are unable to take responsibility for their own lives... and after all this, they won't have learned anything because they'll simply blame the government or everyone else.

Makes me a little sad just how ignorant and self-absorbed many people have become. This could have been a moment for Irish people to shine by showing the world that they could manage themselves without the need for harsh methods. That chance is pretty much gone now.

So much admirable about what you are doing but to be honest it's unfair to blame others for not doing similar.

A natural human reaction to fear or crisis is to ignore, which is easy to do with a virus as we can't see it.

A sunny day today and many people went out for a walk, with the sun shining, some likely even forgot about the virus for a while, it's not badness or ignorance, it's just human nature.

The washing regime you have would not be for everybody or even for many. People don't want to recognise fear and instead hide it away as much as possible. Things like washing items from the shop, wearing masks etc recognise that fear, many people choose to just ignore it as a way of coping, I know I do it myself.

And in the end, this will like you said, probably cause more deaths, but it is also this way of living that will allow us to get back to normal once the virus has passed.

Western Civilisation's greatest strength will be its greatest weakness and in the end it's greatest strength once again, if that makes sense.

trapp wrote: »
    Western Civilisation's greatest strength will be its greatest weakness and in the end it's greatest strength once again, if that makes sense.

Nope. Not in the slightest.

The first part of your post, sure, although I don't agree with you. It's not human nature. It's the results of developing within a nanny state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Nope. Not in the slightest.

The first part of your post, sure, although I don't agree with you. It's not human nature. It's the results of developing within a nanny state.

Our greatest strength is our democracy, open societies, freedom to do what we want within reason etc.

This strength may well cost many lives in western europe as populations used to freedom don't follow public health advice.

However in time, this strength, this value of freedom will allow us to overcome the fear of the virus once it's past and society will function as it did up to recently.

Just a theory.

It is human nature my friend, why else would our ancestors have ever came out of their caves!?

As I keep saying the human need for friendships, love and relationships is more powerful than any virus and will eventually overcome the fear of death.

• Advertisement

trapp wrote: »
    Just a theory.

I'd say that western civilisation has lost the strengths that made it strong, and has been continuing on momentum for the last two or so decades. It's just harder for other culture groups to catch up, due to the age we live in.

But each to their own. Can't buy into your viewpoint. Guess I've become too cynical.

In any case, not interested in derailing the thread. Enough said.

Advertisement