Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

i dont live in flats. quiet cul de sac. only 1 other family go out and play really.

as for your last paragraph - ah jaysus, too much emotions going on there with feelings and all this, im not coughing in peoples faces or anything. lets not get carried away.

Contact your neighbors and work something out. Nobody here can really be too helpful because they're not invested in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All this stuff is about common sense and communication..

Boo, common sense and communication sucks. Let's go back to curtain twitching...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Contact your neighbors and work something out. Nobody here can really be too helpful because they're not invested in your situation.

Yep - honestly based on how the situation was described here there is no issue whatsoever. Seems like there is enough space and very few families potentially willing to use it - avoiding to go at the same time doesn't seem like a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just driving about today I noticed much more of the oul social distancing going on compared to the weekend, so people seem to be getting on board with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what are peoples opinions on having extensive work done on their house? Construction people from other houses in your house all day long and ok people will do their best to observe the 2m rule but its there all day long

Would it be better to postpone or fire ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just driving about today I noticed much more of the oul social distancing going on compared to the weekend, so people seem to be getting on board with it.

Driving down the quays in Waterford the same issue remains - older people fine, youngsters (by which I mean probably mid 20s and below) still in close proximity.
    They really seem to be quite dense when it comes to this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    what are peoples opinions on having extensive work done on their house? Construction people from other houses in your house all day long and ok people will do their best to observe the 2m rule but its there all day long

Would it be better to postpone or fire ahead?

I'd postpone Tbh. They could start the work and then be disrupted leaving you living in a building site for a few months.

Additionally can you be sure they are taking the correct precautions at work and when they are outside of work?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd postpone Tbh. They could start the work and then be disrupted leaving you living in a building site for a few months.

Additionally can you be sure they are taking the correct precautions at work and when they are outside of work?

thats the biggest concern, thanks for the reply

Wibbs wrote: »

ya noticed the same myself, although some to extremes

Driving though the avenue to my estate and there were people walking on the footpath on same side of road I was driving

Person walking in same direction as me decided to give the person walking towards them an almighty 4m swerve by walking out onto the road just as I was approaching

Luckily enough I had a feeling this would happen and was paying extra attention or we would have had the first casualty from stupidness due to social distancing :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Driving down the quays in Waterford the same issue remains - older people fine, youngsters (by which I mean probably mid 20s and below) still in close proximity.
    Well being young gives you a sense of invulnerability with extra risk taking so it's not surprising H. Even if it were hitting people under 20 as hard as people over 70, I'd bet you'd still see similar from many.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

as for your last paragraph - ah jaysus, too much emotions going on there with feelings and all this, im not coughing in peoples faces or anything. lets not get carried away.

This kind of myopic thinking is what got Italy where it is now.

True enough. There's some of that here... although from my walks, I've noticed the concentrations are women around the 40 to 50 age mark. They're out for a walk/run, but meet someone, stop to chat, and then over the course of a few minutes there's a group of 6 to 8 all within a metre of each other. Some will be turning away, but... not so much. Hands and faces exposed to whatever comes their way.. and they're not even standing off to the side so that other people can get past easily. Nope, stand in the middle of the footpath or running lane, to have their meeting.

Whereas my neighbors teens seem very clued in. Face masks, plastic gloves, etc. They meet each other, but their spacing is very good, and they're not passing any objects between them (from what I've seen).

I think there's a broad selection of people who either get it, or don't. Sure, younger people are likely to feel indestructible.. TBH I feel some of that myself since I've never had anything close to a serious illness. Still, I'm finding there's a lot of people close to my age (early 40s) who make the appearance of complying, but it falls apart pretty quickly.

Still... the walkways, paths, etc are all far less busy than they would normally be. A lot of people are staying at home, or sticking to driving rather than exposing themselves to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The ring road walkers here are now much rarer - it was a middle aged and older women's thing to "do the loop" at the Dunmore road end with or without a dog for company. So if they did go out they'd actually be pretty safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm living with a very pregnant wife and her elderly mother. We're self isolating at home, no symptoms. Can I get people's opinion on whether it would be responsible to get groceries home delivered or not? On one hand, it's protecting my wife and her mother. On the other hand, I'm taking resources from the elderly/others who maybe live alone and don't have the support. For the record, I've no issue doing either myself, just wondering which would be best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

CPTM wrote: »
    I'm living with a very pregnant wife and her elderly mother. We're self isolating at home, no symptoms. Can I get people's opinion on whether it would be responsible to get groceries home delivered or not? On one hand, it's protecting my wife and her mother. On the other hand, I'm taking resources from the elderly/others who maybe live alone and don't have the support. For the record, I've no issue doing either myself, just wondering which would be best.

Get the groceries yourself. Just wash your hands before you leave the house and immediately once you get back home after shopping. Be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

CPTM wrote: »

I vote that you are exactly the sort of person who can use online shopping guilt free right now. Wash the stuff when it comes into the house too. I don't use it even though I always used it before this crisis (i only have a bicycle to do all my shopping on and it was just so handy) and it's exactly for families like yours that I am not using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

This kind of myopic thinking is what got Italy where it is now.

I am being very careful here, so stop being a drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

- People in Rathmines walking two abreast on narrow paths.
    -People out jogging panting into people’s faces, spitting on the ground etc.

I only go out to buy groceries and would love to enjoy the weather like everyone else, but a household member is immunocompromised and the failure of people generally to adhere to social distancing is awful.

Jogging isn’t necessary to live so what are these morons thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I only go out to buy groceries and would love to enjoy the weather like everyone else, but a household member is immunocompromised and the failure of people generally to adhere to social distancing is awful.

Jogging should be banned on footpaths. If they want to run by all means find an empty sports field and go round as many times as you like. Just another example of self entitlement

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Are poeple wiping down groceries they bring home from shopping?

I heard of some people doing it.

• Advertisement

I do wipe whatever goes into the fridge/freezer and quarantine the rest for a day or 2.

I know it is probably over the top and I would be fine without doing it, but since it doesn’t really cause any additional trouble to me (just takes 2 mins), I figured why not?

And yeah ... I am also one of these weird people going grocery shopping with an FFP2 respirator. I planned for this and got them before it became a big thing in Europe, so why not using them.

Never too late to start.

Cooking food should sort it out.

I would try to not become too germophobic during this crisis, it will drive you mad. The chances of you contracting the virus from a product you select off a shelf are really really slim, don't go there.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    100%, the main "risk" would be the packaging, as the active virus may last hours on metal and plastics. Those results were under lab conditions and I'd be willing to bet that in the real world, the risk is much lower and the virus doesn't last nearly so long, or in active enough levels to infect. Still, leaving non perishables "quarantined" in your porch or whatever for 24 hours isn't much of a hardship. Or wipe them down with alcochol or ordinary liquid soap, leave for a bit then rinse. Wouldn't take much thought and effort.
    I would try to not become too germophobic during this crisis, it will drive you mad. The chances of you contracting the virus from a product you select off a shelf are really really slim, don't go there.
    I'd pretty much agree with you here too YOURENOMORON. On the other hand if I was caring for someone who was elderly and/or with a compromised immune system for whatever reason, I'd do the above stuff. I'd rather be safe than sorry and if they did get this bloody pox it wouldn't be for the want of me trying. Though I agree too that for some they might become OCD and germaphobe , which is a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Bob24 wrote: »
    And yeah ... I am also one of these weird people going grocery shopping with an FFP2 respirator. I planned for this and got them before it became a big thing in Europe, so why not using them.
    do you have one extra? i'd trade it for a kidney :pac::o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

People walking two or more abreast on a pavement drives me spare at the best of times. It's pure ignorant to force people onto the kerb or into the road just so you can walk beside your friend. Is it not a natural instinct to go into single file for a second and let oncoming pedestrians pass with a decent amount of space? Always was to me but there seems to be a lot of entitled and oblivious people out there.

Lavinia wrote: »
    do you have one extra? i'd trade it for a kidney :pac::o

I see you changed my name for another poster’s ... not sure how I should take it :-D

And on a serious note I didn’t go bananas and only got enough masks to cover a few weeks for my GF and I, so no extra here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

was out today in Gorey , and on various beaches around , good social distancing in the main , cast fault most people , I noticed people stepping aside ( im 60) , ensuring teh kids dont run into me etc , generally people are trying their best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Never too late to start.

This is the question I keep asking myself. This bloody virus has triggered my OCD something awful...I just see potential for contamination everywhere. I'm also leaving groceries as long as possible without unpacking, as that's no bother, but trying hard to avoid wiping everything down because it feels like a slippery slope to hell after spending so many years trying to recover from OCD.

What I have been doing is washing cans and bottles of beer or anything else that would directly touch my mouth with a sponge and washing up liquid. That seems fairly sensible, but so far have resisted washing or wiping everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Shops in north County Dublin have definitely got their act together today. It was very impressively organised. There shouldn't be any worry about social distancing in shops based on that.

• Advertisement

This is the question I keep asking myself. This bloody virus has triggered my OCD something awful...I just see potential for contamination everywhere. I'm also leaving groceries as long as possible without unpacking, as that's no bother, but trying hard to avoid wiping everything down because it feels like a slippery slope to hell after spending so many years trying to recover from OCD.

What I have been doing is washing cans and bottles of beer or anything else that would directly touch my mouth with a sponge and washing up liquid. That seems fairly sensible, but so far have resisted washing or wiping everything.

As soon as any virus is not being incubated it is losing its' potency by the minute. I mean what I say. Even if one of your items was touched by an infected worker or customer you would really need to be French kissing the product for a good five minutes for you to catch it, all joking aside.:)

To appease any worries you have I suggest you scrub your hands when you get back to the house and then wipe down non perishables with a hot cloth before storing. Trust me it is really difficult to receive the virus once it is not being incubated. Don't go licking anything you wouldn't usually and you will be fine.

Keep washing your hands with soap and hot water. The acids in an average bar of soap annihilate any proteins or bacterial groupings on your hands, they cannot recover.

Advertisement