Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lavinia wrote: »
    do you have one extra? i'd trade it for a kidney :pac::o
    I've got three and a few cold war gasmasks too, cos me. :o:eek::D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

- People in Rathmines walking two abreast on narrow paths.
    -People out jogging panting into people’s faces, spitting on the ground etc.

I only go out to buy groceries and would love to enjoy the weather like everyone else, but a household member is immunocompromised and the failure of people generally to adhere to social distancing is awful.

Jogging isn’t necessary to live so what are these morons thinking?

Running/exercise has been proven to be a great source of relief for mental health issues. So yes it is necessary for some people. There aren't many other options right now if all gyms are closed and sports clubs have ceased activities and you're being forced to stay indoors most of the time.

If you're out walking it's as much your responsibility to put distance between yourself and the runner as it is for them.

I was in phoenix park earlier and there were far more runners making an effort to stay clear than walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

researchers also found that this virus can hang out as droplets in the air for up to three hours before they fall.

we don't stand a chance :(

Bob24 wrote: »
    I see you changed my name for another poster’s ... not sure how I should take it :-D

Saw that.. and was thinking there was something wrong with my eyes.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I see you changed my name for another poster’s ... not sure how I should take it :-D

And on a serious note I didn’t go bananas and only got enough masks to cover a few weeks for my GF and I, so no extra here :-)
    haha, no idea how that happened i just clicked the quote button :D
    fixed now :d

• Advertisement

btw i have only 3 medical masks left, had 5 but used 2 and immediately threw them away as soon as i'd get home..
    i saw some videos on you tube how to make your own mask , from thick cotton that can be washed (cooked even) and reused
    if this persists maybe it will not be such a bad idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last night around 830pm in the q for the local Tesco was 3 scangerettes wearing dressing gowns, ffs, you could literally see the smell of pi$$ and utter degradation from them. You shouldn"t be allowed near any retail premises selling food if you don't have the decency to dress yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

fryup wrote: »
    we don't stand a chance :(
    The chances of catching it off someone outdoors is a lot less than indoors and you're not likely to catch it from someone just breathing on or near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

btw i have only 3 medical masks left, had 5 but used 2 and immediately threw them away as soon as i'd get home..
    i saw some videos on you tube how to make your own mask , from thick cotton that can be washed (cooked even) and reused

The way I look at respirators is that since the masks are good for a few hours of use, if I only go out with them for a short while I keep them to reuse them a few times. I am just careful not to touch the front of mask when I take it off, and I keep it in a plastic bag for a few days before using it again.

I am not too sure about the lifespan for surgical masks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Thread title needs changing as it’s outdated, it’s physical distancing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Actually this is a very fair point as while we get what it means social distancing was always a bit of a poor phrasing.

What needs to be avoided is close physical contacts. Keeping close social contacts is actually important in this type of situation in order not to go insane (of course that is restricted social contacts, keeping physical security distance or through electronic communications, but still it is social contact).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

Actually this is a very fair point as while we get what it means social distancing was always a bit of a poor phrasing.

What needs to be avoided is close physical contacts. Keeping close social contacts is actually important in this type of situation in order not to go insane (of course that is restricted social contacts, keeping physical security distance or through electronic communications, but still it is social contact).
    The WHO wanted the term "critical distancing" but "social distancing" sounds more friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

plodder wrote: »
    The chances of catching it off someone outdoors is a lot less than indoors and you're not likely to catch it from someone just breathing on or near you.
    Yes. If you're walking through a hospital ward while someone is spraying droplets everywhere you might have a problem, but you're going to be damned unlucky to pick it up off someone passing you on the street.

Has there been any (any) confirmed transmission, anywhere in the world, to someone who was just out for a walk? I haven't seen a single paper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Problem with cotton and the like is it's very permeable. The paper in surgical masks isn't. They'll hold water, cotton won't. Better than nothing though.

As for keeping disposable masks going. *Personal opinion* Masks are disposable not least because in a clinical environment there's far more risk of cross contamination, so if you leave a "hot" area or patient you throw it away before you go into a "cold" area or patient. Not nearly something in play to the same degree in the home environment. If I wanted to keep say three paper surgical masks going, I'd wear them in rotation a day apart and in between flatten them back to the way they come new and iron them. The hot iron should zap any virus to feck and wick away any moisture. Do NOT put one in a microwave unless you like sparks and fireworks as they have a thin metal bar. *Personal opinion*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes. If you're walking through a hospital ward while someone is spraying droplets everywhere you might have a problem, but you're going to be damned unlucky to pick it up off someone passing you on the street.

Has there been any (any) confirmed transmission, anywhere in the world, to someone who was just out for a walk? I haven't seen a single paper.

bears repeating again and again and again

the hysteria about going outside at all is nonsense and needs calling out.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Problem with cotton and the like is it's very permeable. The paper in surgical masks isn't. They'll hold water, cotton won't. Better than nothing though.
    yes well there are videos from some Chinese people making them exactly cause of corona and they do have multiple layers seems it has been working for them, there were many people who were even sawing those to supply hospitals

i'd need to see if i have some suitable materials as sure obviously you cant just make them from whatever, i'm still too lazy for that though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Do continue Professor, you have my attention.

hmmm wrote: »
    Has there been any (any) confirmed transmission, anywhere in the world, to someone who was just out for a walk?
    Oh no doubt some poor bugger somewhere did catch it from somebody's breath in passing, but I'd be shocked if this was anything but an extremely rare occurrence H. There's being prudent and there's being paranoid. Depends on the individual circumstance too. If I were a health worker in the front lines I'd be North Korea level paranoid. With good reasons. Exposure will be pretty much a given and becoming a spreader yourself to vulnerable people a real risk, so anything to mitigate that is good.

For the rest of us going for a walk and keeping safe distances and washing hands on return is enough. Going shopping or to the pharmacy or filling up your car risks are higher because of surface contact, but again being prudent, rather than paranoid should see the vast majority of us safe. For me travelling by bus or taxi or sharing a car is a risk I'd personally avoid like the plague. Not without p3 filtration and gloves anyway. Even so I've read a couple of bits of research into infection rates in buses and planes and even in that closed environment it doesn't get near to infecting everyone. Seems to be a bit of a coin toss actually.

yes well there are videos from some Chinese people making them exactly cause of corona and they do have multiple layers seems it has been working for them, there were many people who were even sawing those to supply hospitals

i'd need to see if i have some suitable materials as sure obviously you cant just make them from whatever, i'm still too lazy for that though lol
    I'd reckon a material like goretex from rainwear as an outer layer(waterproof, but gas permeable), with layers of cotton behind that, say two sheets of tight weave cotton/nylon/etc with cotton wool sandwiched in the middle would be pretty good. Washable too. Getting it to fit securely and well sealed to the face being the issue then. The best filter is not much use with big gaps around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

the hysteria about not being able to go outside at all is nonsense and needs calling out.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd reckon a material like goretex from rainwear as an outer layer(waterproof, but gas permeable), with layers of cotton behind that, say two sheets of tight weave cotton/nylon/etc with cotton wool sandwiched in the middle would be pretty good. Washable too. Getting it to fit securely and well sealed to the face being the issue then. The best filter is not much use with big gaps around it.

yes they were sewing a strip of metal (like wire) to top edge so that you can mold it to sit tightly around nose bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dakota Dan wrote: »

lets get physical

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    what are peoples opinions on having extensive work done on their house? Construction people from other houses in your house all day long and ok people will do their best to observe the 2m rule but its there all day long

Would it be better to postpone or fire ahead?

What's your public liability insurance cover like? Will it cover the costs of an older crew member dying as a result of your decision to proceed with non-urgent works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    what are peoples opinions on having extensive work done on their house? Construction people from other houses in your house all day long and ok people will do their best to observe the 2m rule but its there all day long

Would it be better to postpone or fire ahead?

If you have neighbours who would hear the work, it's incredibly selfish. Hard enough for people to be stuck at home right now as it is, without having to listening to banging and hammering all day.

TBH even if you live in the middle of nowhere, I still don't think it's OK. You're breaking all the rules about having people over in your house, and it kind of defeats the purpose of what everyone is trying to do.

I have some really much needed medical appts for my chronic condition and I'm putting them off because of this. I'm sure you can cope without having construction done on your house, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What's your public liability insurance cover like? Will it cover the costs of an older crew member dying as a result of your decision to proceed with non-urgent works?

How do you think up this nonsense?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd postpone Tbh. They could start the work and then be disrupted leaving you living in a building site for a few months.

Additionally can you be sure they are taking the correct precautions at work and when they are outside of work?
    If you have neighbours who would hear the work, it's incredibly selfish. Hard enough for people to be stuck at home right now as it is, without having to listening to banging and hammering all day.

TBH even if you live in the middle of nowhere, I still don't think it's OK. You're breaking all the rules about having people over in your house, and it kind of defeats the purpose of what everyone is trying to do.

I have some really much needed medical appts for my chronic condition and I'm putting them off because of this. I'm sure you can cope without having construction done on your house, in fairness.

ya I've decided to postpone for the time being for a number of reasons

Typical though, 2 of my neighbours have decided to take full advantage of the time off and go hell for leather into getting work done

One is getting an extension and there's a different contractor in the house each day, doesnt impact me directly but it goes against the grain of what we as a nation are trying to achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The kids (not mine) on the road are all out playing on the road which their neighbours kids and the grandparents are out watching them in the sun.

Am i missing something here?????

Some of the people on your road are as dumb as rocks B?

I mean how fcuking hard is it for these morons? Stay the fcuk away from other people you don't live with. It's that fcuking simple and it is literally a matter of life and death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is their somebody I can call to grass on them - someone that can give them a warning?

Advertisement