Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

While I completely agree with the distancing measures and get angry at the fools who ignore them, I fail to see the hazard in going for a car drive and an isolated walk somewhere that there is no other people.
    You are isolated in a sealed car, you can get to an isolated area and exercise in safety.... anyone?

The objection I received previously was... what happens if you have a car crash?

Yup. I know. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can't see any issue with driving. You're essentially in a mobile isolation ward.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

I was walking in a quiet wooded area when this dog ran up and started jumping up on me. Never mind it should have been on a lead, its' owners had to come up right up to me and pull him away. Social distancing?? How are ya? Just as well I am not afraid of dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I had to go to a bank yesterday to close an account in person. They were only letting about 2 - 3 people in at a time. Fair enough, huge lobby so loads of room and signs everywhere about distancing. Two old men completely ignored the signs and walked literally right behind me in the short space I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

While I completely agree with the distancing measures and get angry at the fools who ignore them, I fail to see the hazard in going for a car drive and an isolated walk somewhere that there is no other people.
    You are isolated in a sealed car, you can get to an isolated area and exercise in safety.... anyone?

In theory I agree, but tbh people cannot be trusted. The more cars seen out there, the more people will do it and certain areas will become busy (i.e. Glendalough etc). Also people will stop off (pop into a shop), be tempted to see others and of course the car needs fuel..
    The objection I received previously was... what happens if you have a car crash?

Yup. I know. :D

More people on the roads does also mean more accidents (particularly when everyone is stressed out). This does mean more strain on the health and other systems. You might not think an accident here or there is so bad, but we are pretty soon to finding out what the peak of this will look like for us and no unnecessary travel should be taken AT ALL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Wibbs wrote: »
    Can't see any issue with driving. You're essentially in a mobile isolation ward.

Yep I see no issue with driving itself either, but a few grounds rules should be adhered to:
    - the car should not be shared amongst people coming from different households
    - driving should only be to go grocery shopping, to work when WFH isn't possible, to medical appointment, etc

Pretty straight forward stuff and obvious to you I know ... but do we trust everyone to follow basic rules, that I don't know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

there is construction site 50m from my building and guess what? they are working on it.
    not just that it is noisy (while the rest of us have to stay home and try to work) but it is so irresponsible.

i still cannot believe these fellas, do they have any brain in their heads...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lavinia wrote: »
    there is construction site 50m from my building and guess what? they are working on it.
    not just that it is noisy (while the rest of us have to stay home and try to work) but it is so irresponsible.

I suppose you've been on site and can report on what physical distancing practices they're following.

If the noise bothers you, why not give up your own job and go on the dole?

Stark wrote: »
    I suppose you've been on site and can report on what physical distancing practices they're following.

If the noise bothers you, why not give up your own job and go on the dole?

I can see it from my balcony, no need to go anywhere

noise does not bother me personally as i closed the door and have music on but was just saying as it is noise that is disturbing, drilling, kicking and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Yeah there's construction going on near me too and you can see that they aren't observing social distancing, doesn't every construction site have a, what's the person called.. safety monitor.. somebody in charge of safety? Wouldn't they be responsible for this and accountable?

• Advertisement

no these people either, its 'business as usual' it seems..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The chicken company I work in gave everyone a voucher for a free chicken product. Basically trying to sweeten people up so they won't walk out because of having to stay 30cm away from people for 8 hours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In the UK I thínk Tesco is only letting one person per family group in. I wish they'd do that here. There's no need at the moment for couples to be shopping together
    We're a couple and we have no car. By going together we can carry home twice as much shopping. If we went solo, we'd have to go twice as often and increase the risk of catching/spreading. So there's a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Because when everyone else has the same idea you end up with this

BB11sJMr.img

Because when everyone else has the same idea you end up with this

<snip image>

Any idea when this was? This today?

ixoy wrote: »
    We're a couple and we have no car. By going together we can carry home twice as much shopping. If we went solo, we'd have to go twice as often and increase the risk of catching/spreading. So there's a reason.

In the same boat here. We both go to the supermarket but one of us waits outside, then we half the load for the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep I see no issue with driving itself either, but a few grounds rules should be adhered to:
    - the car should not be shared amongst people coming from different households
    - driving should only be to go grocery shopping, to work when WFH isn't possible, to medical appointment, etc

Pretty straight forward stuff and obvious to you I know ... but do we trust everyone to follow basic rules, that I don't know :-)
    Yet the NCT continues to operate across countries cross contamination super spreaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭SummerK

I was at Aldi yesterday and quite a few people were not following social distancing. Security guys are trying to ensure people follow it. I believe no body is doing it intentionally or are careless about distancing, it's just that we're not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it has caused an issue with people walking from the sidepath onto the road...someone someday will get a whack of a car

• Advertisement

I was at aldi today, I have to say it's very hard, the aisles are narrow enough when it's any way busy at all. I did my best though. I know they say gloves don't make a difference and I understand why, but I don't have hand sanitizer so I put them on before going in and took them off when I left.

I assume with all the distilleries making it the hand sanitizer shortage is sorted and all the nurses, doctors, post men, carers, shop assistants, and everyone else who really really needs it.. I assume they all have it now? So is there somewhere I can buy it?

ah ye - but I would like to think that wont happen this week?

It definitely wont next week when people realise how fu(ked we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Lavinia wrote: »

Same here. So unbelievably selfish of people to keep having construction done when everyone around them is forced to work from home and/or be at home all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So what event/get together has been postponed/cancelled for you due to all this stuff ??

Sisters wedding which was due to take place next Thursday has been postponed but all the people involved have been reasonable enough and accommodating. It will take place before the year is out please god

2 events in the 3arena I was suppose to attend have been postponed. Hoping to make the new dates for both

The nervous wait for what will happen the gigs I'm suppose to attend in June. All outdoor which makes them more doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

We have workmen (two) in the house doing a job. We're staying in different rooms and not crossing paths with them at all. They've been good as well as they are staying out of the way and will speak to us from the garden.

I was very nervous about it at first but they said they were following all the guidelines. Plus I figured the guys wouldn't be paid if the job was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

We have workmen (two) in the house doing a job. We're staying in different rooms and not crossing paths with them at all. They've been good as well as they are staying out of the way and will speak to us from the garden.

I was very nervous about it at first but they said they were following all the guidelines. Plus I figured the guys wouldn't be paid if the job was cancelled.

Hope you don't have neighbours who are forced to listen to the work being done, like I am.

The fella who owns the property lives elsewhere, so it's only us plebs who are forced to listen to 8 hours a day of banging, hammering and drilling as we try to work from home and take conference calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Same here. So unbelievably selfish of people to keep having construction done when everyone around them is forced to work from home and/or be at home all day.

Heard a tradesman in Fairview this morning ranting at a workmate about how the boss was making them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

In all fairness, whats the point in us all practicing social distancing if you and these guys are breaking it. The social welfare is there for them if needs be, dont need to be worried about their wages.

This country sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement