Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

In all fairness, whats the point in us all practicing social distancing if you and these guys are breaking it. The social welfare is there for them if needs be, dont need to be worried about their wages.

This country sometimes

Amazing how many people who think the rules don't apply to them because they fancy a bit of work doing on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Amazing how many people who think the rules don't apply to them because they fancy a bit of work doing on the house.

Probably making a fry for them in the morning too before they start their work. Scrambled eggs, beans, toast, rashers, sausages, black pudding and some corona.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

spookwoman wrote: »
    Woman over from me before this used to have loads of people dropping their kids off and she would drop them off at the school and during the days she was minding a young child. She has 1 of her own.
    Now, between 7 and 8 they all get dropped off and then collected at lunch time by their parents. could have 5 or more either in the back or down the road playing on the green. Parents in and out of the house and at lunch time she has another woman dropping off a kid of about 1. Often enough she has other parents dropping off stuff like food etc during the day and even house sitting while she goes off and does her thing. There is also another kid from the estate in and out all day.
    We've nicknamed it the plague house because it's going to get infected one of these days and god know how many will transmit through the community.

I cannot understand the mentality of some people.

I'd certainly report that

While I completely agree with the distancing measures and get angry at the fools who ignore them, I fail to see the hazard in going for a car drive and an isolated walk somewhere that there is no other people.
    You are isolated in a sealed car, you can get to an isolated area and exercise in safety.... anyone?

yip, I agree

Im going for my daily stroll in Punchestown and everyone is able to keep ample distance between each other

I was walking in a quiet wooded area when this dog ran up and started jumping up on me. Never mind it should have been on a lead, its' owners had to come up right up to me and pull him away. Social distancing?? How are ya? Just as well I am not afraid of dogs...

happened to my wife earlier...needless to say the dog owner got an earful and put the dog straight on the leash

Can dogs not be considered to transmit the virus? I dont see why they cant, people are just down right stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Same here. So unbelievably selfish of people to keep having construction done when everyone around them is forced to work from home and/or be at home all day.

Construction workers can't work from home, can they?

They are operating completely within the law. Construction work is absolutely permitted. There is absolutely no ambiguity around this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In the same boat here. We both go to the supermarket but one of us waits outside, then we half the load for the way home.
    That's possibly what we'll have to do if they change their action on this.
    We are going at a quiet time - mostly just having to get around staff re-stocking (there's definitely more staff than customers at that point).

We went for our first walk today of the week - about ten minutes. In fairness everyone was observing social distancing. We probably did about 4m worth just to be sure. Now probably stuck in for a while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Was just in Tesco, and going down the aisles, making sure I stayed away. But damn if a few young folk constantly walked right up on me to get something. I'm surprised they obey the rules at the registers. It's amazing how common sense and respecting personal space has disintegrated over the years.IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Risteard81 wrote: »

They are operating completely within the law. Construction work is absolutely permitted. There is absolutely no ambiguity around this.

They are also the lads working day and night on nearly 50 hse buildings to push for completion, the general repairs that inevitably pop up on people’s houses and no one can forget the push for the homeless crisis or does that all fall into last weeks issues with veganism and climate change.
    I’m one of those out working and I’m requesting people leave whenever I’m working and trying to limit exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'd certainly report that

Agree, but who do you report to? Guards? Will they bother?

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Agree, but who do you report to? Guards? Will they bother?

not really sure, there should be some mechanism to report it, otherwise it will just continue

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Just back from Tesco and a woman completely disregarded social distancing. She was talking a "friend"in the queue next to us and she actually bumped off me while she was laughing! The cashier had to stop what he was doing and tell her to actually stand back!!

Seriously! How the hell are people STILL not aware of this? Like wtf? I felt like slapping her!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Social distancing ... welcome to my world.
    I lost €30,000 in the last financial crash. I said "never again".
    I am buying shares now. Buy low sell high. I got caught last time. I said " Never again". Zero exposure now.
    If I make €500, it's just a small "eff you" to the financial ****heads. My €30,000 went somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Risteard81 wrote: »

I'm in the UK. It's very much ambiguous. The guidelines have already stated that only 'essential' construction work should be done.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Social distancing ... welcome to my world.
    I lost €30,000 in the last financial crash. I said "never again".
    I am buying shares now. Buy low sell high. I got caught last time. I said " Never again". Zero exposure now.
    If I make €500, it's just a small "eff you" to the financial ****heads. My €30,000 went somewhere.

The bottom is far from in
    Be patient and you could make more than €500

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The bottom is far from in
    Be patient and you could make more than €500

That is also my feeling, but it will be hard to time it. I think the US are in for a hard awakening in the next week or two, with a possible countrywide lockdown* as they realise they situation has became out of control. This will probably push down their stock markets, but at the same time central banks and governments have shown they are ready to do almost anything to prevent a crash even if it means destroying their currencies in the medium/long term. It is hard to know for how long they can keep the music playing.

* trying to stay on topic a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Work continuing on my local building site. I can clearly see groups of construction workers. I guess Bartra capital's deadlines mean more than the health of us all.

would like to say thanks to my next door neighbour who opened up his toolbox this morning in the room adjoining to our bedroom at 8:30

He's there all week and starts this

He's the type aswell if you knocked in would tell you to back away more than 2m for social distancing and not to touch his property

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Closest Tesco to me is 3.5km away. Does it mean I am forbidden to go since its over 2km away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Lavinia wrote: »
    Closest Tesco to me is 3.5km away. Does it mean I am forbidden to go since its over 2km away?

The feckin 2km applies to exercise.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Apologies. Kinda typed that post in anger as sick of hearing about the 2km thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

haha okay, i didnt understand that :d

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Some people up the road from me chose now to get their windows replaced, by the sounds of it all work has stopped and there are four giant holes in the front of their house. Hmmmm

would like to say thanks to my next door neighbour who opened up his toolbox this morning in the room adjoining to our bedroom at 8:30

He's there all week and starts this

He's the type aswell if you knocked in would tell you to back away more than 2m for social distancing and not to touch his property

Apparently every spring there is a surge in DIY accidents and hospitals are asking people to hold off on the DIY for now for obvious reasons

Plenty of non-dangerous diy though, painting the lower half of the wall, sanding... i don't know i never do diy but i can think of those 2 things at least.

Apparently every spring there is a surge in DIY accidents and hospitals are asking people to hold off on the DIY for now for obvious reasons

Plenty of non-dangerous diy though, painting the lower half of the wall, sanding... i don't know i never do diy but i can think of those 2 things at least.

Actually if you paint the lower half of the wall you might hurt yourself dooking down so best to stick with the middle of the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Lavinia wrote: »

The 2km relates to exercise, walking etc while maintaining physical distancing

This post is akin to saying my local pharmacy is over 2km away so now I'm forbidden to get my medicine.

No, of course you're not 'forbidden' to buy your food shopping. It's essential.

Reading back on my reply I sound obnoxious, sorry, I am cognisant there is a lot of confusion about many different guidelines and so forth for almost everyone right now. Myself included.

Stay safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

8 metre social distances

MIT researchers found that droplets propelled by coughs and sneezes can fly up to eight metres in warm, moist climates.

viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of 10-30 metres (33ft-100ft) per second, creating a cloud that can span approximately 7-8 metres (23ft-27ft).

droplets can stay suspended in the air for hours and have even been found in the ventilation systems of hospitals.

no wonder so many healthcare workers are getting infected

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

Corresponding Author: Lydia Bourouiba, PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139 (lbouro@mit.edu).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not that surprising tbh if you actually think about it, any distance 'rules' are really just guidelines, there will always be exceptions and extra environmental effects.

It's hard to comment more without reading the paper, which the articles doesnt provide any information on except saying JAMA and MIT, could they not have at least mentioned an author or department

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not that surprising tbh if you actually think about it, any distance 'rules' are really just guidelines, there will always be exceptions and extra environmental effects.

It's hard to comment more without reading the paper, which the articles doesnt provide any information on except saying JAMA and MIT, could they not have at least mentioned an author or department

Ok found it (The Mirror was considerate enough to include a link)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852

So it's not new research, it's someone saying that the current guidelines are based off of a certain model-criteria.. I did research a few years ago that is more advanced than the old model.. and using my old research could explain the higher infection rates found amongst healthcare workers, and that the guidelines might be ineffective

Advertisement